• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

It's a Klezmer Thing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nkolisnyk

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: It's a Klezmer Thing Reply with quote

Hey there. I was wondering if anyone could point me towards some info on achieving that certain Klezmer technique.

I'm subbing with a brass band, and we are playing Sat by Boban Markovic. The technique I'm having trouble is found at 2:10 of this video. It's kind of like a trill/gracenote tagged on to every quarter beat, but anything I try sounds too clean. Maybe it's an airstream thing?

https://youtu.be/8yShvAeh7C8

A side note, I love his tone. It goes against what most people would call a beautiful tone, but there's just something about it. It reminds me of Kenny Dorham...

Any help would be appreciated.

www.rupertslandbrass.ca
www.nafrodance.com
www.cnhussi.com
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I NOT an expert on this music but...

...what I heard more than one trumpet playing at that spot. Also, they're using rotaries as opposed to piston. Rotaries are not less clean than piston in that (perhaps they're actually more?) but that might account for .... something?

If it's just one trumpet doing that, then dunno... maybe someone else can enlighten.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to me it sounds like slurred triplet 16ths followed by eighths
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

david johnson wrote:
to me it sounds like slurred triplet 16ths followed by eighths

16th triplet followed by 2 16th notes, this is a very common figure in Eastern European folk music. I love the tune!
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the above - the line is doubled by at least two or three players, so playing those quick triplet 'mordent' figures (on the beat) with a few friends adds that 'blurry' effect you're hearing. And, the European rotary flugelhorns (not trumpets) they're playing also contributes to this unique quality - more so the particular sound of these instruments, rather than the rotary mechanism. Finally, though this is a mere technicality, this music really isn't Klezmer, but Balkan brass of the Serbian Romani tradition --- truly great stuff, nonetheless.

Happy practicing!

-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Picc;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danbassin wrote:
All of the above - the line is doubled by at least two or three players, so playing those quick triplet 'mordent' figures (on the beat) with a few friends adds that 'blurry' effect you're hearing. And, the European rotary flugelhorns (not trumpets) they're playing also contributes to this unique quality - more so the particular sound of these instruments, rather than the rotary mechanism. Finally, though this is a mere technicality, this music really isn't Klezmer, but Balkan brass of the Serbian Romani tradition --- truly great stuff, nonetheless.

Happy practicing!

-DB

Thanks for adding that comment, I didn't think the tune sounded quite like the Klezmer tunes I'm used to (I play a LOT of Klezmer), but I'm always open to expanding my understanding of the "borders" of the genre...
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bike&ed wrote:
Thanks for adding that comment, I didn't think the tune sounded quite like the Klezmer tunes I'm used to (I play a LOT of Klezmer), but I'm always open to expanding my understanding of the "borders" of the genre...

Anytime! There was a pretty fun documentary from just a few years ago called "Brasslands" - it was once on Netflix, but I just checked and it seems that fell off current rotation - on the world's largest trumpet festival, in Serbia. The special rotary flugels (and the trumpet-shanked mouthpieces they use on said flugels) complement the virtuosic approach and engaging soundworld of this music in a very special way.

On this topic...of not exactly Klezmer, but amazing traditional brass music, the 'Corneta' has a remarkable musical tradition, with super-virtuosic features: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R28xqX8dG24

It's an inspiring world of music out there!

-DB

PS - here's some of the music in a fuller context: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfHjbaviX8s
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread with great info.
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since my previous post, I came across this useful resource on the Corneta:

http://trumpetpla.net/2016/01/20/what-is-a-carmen-corneta/

-DB
nkolisnyk

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danbassin wrote:

Happy practicing!

-DB

Ah good to know, thanks! The Band Balkan Beat box is another example of this amazing style. Here's one of my favourite tunes by them. Sounds like a boatload of practice required to get this down!

https://youtu.be/_4fifxR8EAw

That's interesting about the valve flugelhorns. I feel my n+1 itch coming on again...

www.rupertslandbrass.ca
www.nafrodance.com
www.cnhussi.com
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danbassin wrote:
Since my previous post, I came across this useful resource on the Corneta:

http://trumpetpla.net/2016/01/20/what-is-a-carmen-corneta/

-DB

Oh, very cool. Thanks for posting this. There is a video that floats around from time to time of one of these being played outdoors somewhere, I think perhaps in Spain. I've long wondered how they are played and that is a great article.
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a movie called "Trumpets Republic" you'll have to buy on DVD if you can find it, it's very rare and not online, but it's about this type of music and the society that produces it. It's very good which is why I mention it; it's worth the difficulty of obtaining it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: