• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

NOT EDDIE CALVERT ON EDDIE FISHER'S "OH MEIN PAPA"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toughcritic
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: NOT EDDIE CALVERT ON EDDIE FISHER'S "OH MEIN PAPA" Reply with quote

Contrary to some of the answers on my question as to who is the trumpet soloist on Eddie Fisher's 1954 hit recording, OH MEIN PAPA, it is not Eddie Calvert! Eddie Calvert, a British studio musician, had a hit recording of his own on OH MEIN PAPA, that reached or came close to #1 on the British Hit Parade in 1953. Fisher recorded the tune in 1954, in New York, with the Hugo Wiinterhalter orchestra. It became one of his biggest hits. There is no mention of Calvert being on the session in anything I could find. It would not have made any sense to have Calvert on that recording. Whoever the trumpet soloist was he was great and has a slightly different sound and vibrato than Calvert did. I would be interested in any other factual input.
lh
Claude Gordon Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.secondhandsongs.com/topic/31553

I know nothing about this, but the above link might provide your answer.
Selmer Paris model 59 Piccolo 1977
Conn New Invention Cornet 1913
toughcritic
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lh wrote:
http://www.secondhandsongs.com/topic/31553

I know nothing about this, but the above link might provide your answer.

Thank you for the added info but that had to do with the Russ Morgan orchestra's recording of the song. If anyone knows who the lead trumpet was with the Hugo Winterhalter studio orchestra let us know.
lh
Claude Gordon Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad. I saw the 1954 and got all excited.
Selmer Paris model 59 Piccolo 1977
Conn New Invention Cornet 1913
mcgovnor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: the trumpet Reply with quote

The trumpet soloist on the hit recording of Oh My Papa is Charlie Margolis. How do I know? Playing Eddie Fischer's night club act in 1980 or so, Eddie stopped the performance of Oh My Papa and asked.."Who played the trumpet solo, please..whoever played the trumpet solo, would you stand up, please.." He then said..I haven't heard that solo played that way, since Charlie Margolis played it on the recording session for me..."
toughcritic
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: the trumpet Reply with quote

mcgovnor wrote:
The trumpet soloist on the hit recording of Oh My Papa is Charlie Margolis. How do I know? Playing Eddie Fischer's night club act in 1980 or so, Eddie stopped the performance of Oh My Papa and asked.."Who played the trumpet solo, please..whoever played the trumpet solo, would you stand up, please.." He then said..I haven't heard that solo played that way, since Charlie Margolis played it on the recording session for me..."

Thanks so much. That is a great story and clears up a question I have had
for years. If anyone knows more about Charlie Margolis please write in.
jazzfidelity

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: NOT EDDIE CALVERT ON EDDIE FISHER'S "OH MEIN PAPA" Reply with quote

I'd heard for years that it was Doc Severinsen, and then one day when Doc was on a radio show and they were taking callers, I called in and asked him if it was him, and he said No, that it was actually Chris Griffin.
errata

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Some Margulis/Margoulis to listen/compare Reply with quote

He wasn't the youngest of men by the 1950s, but was still getting plenty of top recording dates (and broadcast work). FWIW, here's his sound just a couple years later than the Dec. 1953 Eddie Fisher date, with the same kind of solos here on Mindy Carson's "I Don't Want To Know" (Ray Coniff mega-data website says he's the trumpeter). I can't say it's *surely* the same player, but it's a similar kind of style/playing, for sure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ObPPuezvf4

For those curious about the Ray Conniff website (lots of personell lists for sessions and broacasts): http://mthoenicke.magix.net/public/conniff/CollectorsGuide.pdf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: