• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

bai lin



 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 23 Sep 2006
Posts: 3315
Location: New York

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: bai lin Reply with quote

thanks all for your suggestions to delve into this material. i am doing this daily along with irons and am holding up to the extra slurring practice.
it was discussed that bai lin was somehow easier and less wear and tear than irons. i am on exercise 17 in bai lin. having a very long series of ascending and descending arpeggios your chops are completely warmed up before needing to hit the highest notes toward the end. both thought and sensitivity went into this. i noticed that the exercises further on were filled with octave jumps and partial jumps and assume the same level of insight and cleverness apply to them.
anyway i am having a very good time with the material and am progressing in a slow and steady manner.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 25 May 2013
Posts: 1812
Location: Atlanta GA

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bali Lin is a great method. Heed his advice from the beginning of the book: if you feel a section is too difficult or uncomfortable, don't hesitate to move back to an easier section. This material should be played with a free, easy, beautiful sound. The sections at the beginning are worthwhile too... almost therapeutic. They almost always seem to help my chops feel good again.
_________________
Bb Yamaha Xeno 8335IIS
Cornet Getzen Custom 3850S
Flugelhorn Courtois 155R
Piccolo Stomvi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BBB1976
Regular Member


Joined: 30 May 2016
Posts: 70

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:54 am    Post subject: bai lin Reply with quote

Yes great stuff! These type of exercises are essential I think. Lovely book!
Phil Smith recommends these!
Don't forget all the other basics like tongueing, intervals etc........
I wish you all the confidence gained from bai Lin.

All the best.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tim_wolf
Veteran Member


Joined: 28 Feb 2006
Posts: 362
Location: Lancaster, PA

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link for the book, along with some fantastic recorded examples by our own Jim Wilt. Even though they're only flexibility exercises, he plays them with such a great sound and so musically. Enjoy!

http://www.balquhiddermusic.com/brass-studies/2ymttrxkb3pda3f4u1uqqsr3xd7vy8
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 25 May 2013
Posts: 1812
Location: Atlanta GA

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tim_wolf wrote:
Here is a link for the book, along with some fantastic recorded examples by our own Jim Wilt. Even though they're only flexibility exercises, he plays them with such a great sound and so musically. Enjoy!

http://www.balquhiddermusic.com/brass-studies/2ymttrxkb3pda3f4u1uqqsr3xd7vy8

Wow, I didn't know about these demo recordings. They sound great!
_________________
Bb Yamaha Xeno 8335IIS
Cornet Getzen Custom 3850S
Flugelhorn Courtois 155R
Piccolo Stomvi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 13 Nov 2001
Posts: 8879
Location: Chicago, Illinois

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstdenis wrote:
Heed his advice from the beginning of the book: if you feel a section is too difficult or uncomfortable, don't hesitate to move back to an easier section. This material should be played with a free, easy, beautiful sound.


I just wanted to point out that the above is very good advice for all types of practice from the various Flexibility Books, Technical Studies, and other developmental material we practice.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
_________________
Trumpet Player, Clinician & Teacher
1st Trpt for Cats, Phantom of the Opera, West Side Story, Evita, Hunchback of Notre Dame,
Grease, The Producers, Addams Family, Color Purple, In the Heights, etc.
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
MrClean
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 27 Feb 2003
Posts: 2174
Location: Los Angeles

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstdenis wrote:
tim_wolf wrote:
Here is a link for the book, along with some fantastic recorded examples by our own Jim Wilt. Even though they're only flexibility exercises, he plays them with such a great sound and so musically. Enjoy!

http://www.balquhiddermusic.com/brass-studies/2ymttrxkb3pda3f4u1uqqsr3xd7vy8

Wow, I didn't know about these demo recordings. They sound great!


Thanks for the kind words, guys. The e-version of the Bai Lin book from Balquhidder has a demo for almost all of the exercises (I play the first "key" of each one) except a couple near the end of the book that I could not quite get to sound good. We probably put a couple in there that we shouldn't have, lol.

J
_________________
Jim Wilt
LA Philharmonic
Colburn School
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dbacon
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 11 Nov 2001
Posts: 8415
Location: North Scottsdale, AZ.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrClean wrote:
dstdenis wrote:
tim_wolf wrote:
Here is a link for the book, along with some fantastic recorded examples by our own Jim Wilt. Even though they're only flexibility exercises, he plays them with such a great sound and so musically. Enjoy!

http://www.balquhiddermusic.com/brass-studies/2ymttrxkb3pda3f4u1uqqsr3xd7vy8

Wow, I didn't know about these demo recordings. They sound great!


Thanks for the kind words, guys. The e-version of the Bai Lin book from Balquhidder has a demo for almost all of the exercises (I play the first "key" of each one) except a couple near the end of the book that I could not quite get to sound good. We probably put a couple in there that we shouldn't have, lol.

J


Will order!
_________________
Dave Bacon
Trumpet, Jazz Studies Faculty
Grand Canyon University
[email protected]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
EdMann
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 31 Mar 2007
Posts: 2350
Location: Malibu

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LIVE in this book ever since Michael Sachs turned me onto it. It's perfect for me.

ed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group