• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Callet.com back in business?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetplanet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Callet.com back in business? Reply with quote

I just noticed that callet.com seems to be up and running... I was under the impression that everything died a death a few years back.

The website there says that both the Jazz trumpet and Flugelhorn as well as the Northern Brass Star Series mouthpieces will soon be available.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

https://neotericbrass.com/
https://trumpetpla.net/
https://tonguecontrolled.info/
pc2001197
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee Adams set up a booth at the Trumpet Festival of the Southeast few weeks back and he had the aforementioned horns and mouthpiece out on display. I liked the flugel as well as the Northern Brass mouthpiece.
jaemard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa! Way cool
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's pretty sweet. Wishing Lee all the success in the world on his endeavors!!
Justin_Smith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also liked those horns. I remember first trying them out at the Charles Colin Brass Festival for scholarships in NYC when I was in high school in the early 90s. Then later a friend of mine had both the Jazz Bb and flugelhorn models. All the best Lee. I hope to try the, again some time.
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my best knowledge:

A number of years ago, when Jerome retired from day-to-day trumpet operations, Lee Adams purchased the rights to duplicate Jerry's older horn designs - as best he could given the loss of some of the original equipment. I haven't talked to Lee in many years, but I heard through the grapevine that he ran into some personal issues that pushed his project to the back burner for a decade or so. However, I understand he is once again working to replicate Jerry's last 20th century designs. I believe he has rights to the exact mandrel for the Jazz so the bell should be precisely the same assuming he duplicates Jerry's material and gauge.

In the ensuing decade+ Jerry has made very significant advances in his designs, advances that keep him more excited about trumpet performance than ever. Nonetheless, he is pleased to see Lee promote his interpretations of these now classic older designs. To the degree Lee successfully reverse engineers the originals, these trumpets offer significant sound, range, power, and stability advantages over other trumpets of that era.

To clarify, www.CalletTrumpets.com is the company representing all of Jerry Callet's current designs and innovations.

www.callet.com would be the place to look for Lee Adams' replications or similes of Jerome's prior Bb trumpet and flugelhorn designs. And perhaps in time a simile of Jerry's previous C design too.

More good news, Jerry's updated flugelhorn is now in final testing. On the burner for more than 5 years, real world availability is only about 4-8 weeks away. It's an update to a vintage French Besson, the flug considered by many to be the finest previously available: .415 bore, 6" bell, with Jerry's custom lead pipe, bracing, slides - and sound! Watch for pre-order info coming soon on www.CalletTrumpets.com
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eee-gads! Does that mean I can finally get another Callet JAZZ flugel mouthpiece? Over the years I keep coming back to my Callet JAZZ trumpet mouthpiece - best sounding and most comfortable small group jazz mouthpiece I have played. Best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ljazztrm wrote:
Eee-gads! Does that mean I can finally get another Callet JAZZ flugel mouthpiece? Over the years I keep coming back to my Callet JAZZ trumpet mouthpiece - best sounding and most comfortable small group jazz mouthpiece I have played. Best, Lex

Doesn't look like they are making older Callet mouthpieces. Seems they have tooling and such for older trumpets only. Their website says they bought trumpet making tooling, leadpipes I think. And have the rights to use mandrels at the Kanstul factory to spin the bells, and I guess rights to have Kanstul build the rest of the horns.

I am interested if they would make other custom horns though. For instance use the Jazz bell but with a smaller valve section, maybe straight leadpipe instead of reverse, light weight maybe?

But sadly, the older Callet mouthpieces don't seem to be part of their new endeavors.
Lee Adams
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: callet.com Reply with quote

Hi all,

Yes indeed the Callet Jazz trumpet and Callet Jazz Flugelhorns are back, in stock and better than ever! Built on the original Callet Jazz bell mandrel and original lead pipe mandrels all of which I purchased back in 2003.

The new ERT enhanced resonance technologies coupled with the Jazz trumpet offered in a .346 .348 and .350 venturi lead pipes along with various main tuning slide options allows these modern super horn designs to fit more people than ever before! The "Jazz" Gen2 has an improved receiver. Comes with Precision Valve Alignment with port balancing. Special micro-lap valve fitting, and resonance optimization tweaking done by George Rawlin.

Some all new models for 2017.
1. The all new Callet Jazz LT a lightweight version of this famous trumpet which has been receiving rave reviews and a number of orders placed.

2. The all new Studio Artist .464 model .020 bell thickness with a clean brilliant trumpet sound that is flexible in many playing situations. also the new Studio Artist .464 LT the lightweight version in .017 bell thickness.
Trumpets to meet the needs of the 21st century trumpeter.

3. The original Callet "Jazz" Flugelhorn hailed by many as one of the most in tune and state of the art flugelhorns just got even better! Enter the Gen2. With a newly enhanced lead pipe and resonance optimization tweaking by George Rawlin. The Gen2 "Jazz" flugelhorn comes in both the original bronze bell material and a super responsive Yellow brass bell option!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWMsUA0wtok&feature=youtu.be&a

Last but not least the Northern Brass Mouthpiece line is back in stock with 6 new models for 2017 at www.callet.com
http://www.grmouthpieces.com/northern-brass.html

We will be set up at the 2017 ITG conference stop by and see us!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQRrMWOw5rYV8p2_y5aO9Rg?view_as=subscriber

Last edited by Lee Adams on Fri May 26, 2017 1:58 pm; edited 6 times in total
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Lee,

Do you have access to the bells that were made on the Grand Prix and Superchops as well??
Lee Adams
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
Hey Lee,

Do you have access to the bells that were made on the Grand Prix and Superchops as well??

Hi

Yes I have the SuperChops bells in stock but not the Grand Prix.

Best regards
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee Adams wrote:
Benge.nut wrote:
Hey Lee,

Hi

Yes I have the SuperChops bells in stock but not the Grand Prix.

Best regards

That was one of my favorite bells Jerry put out. I always wanted a lightweight Superchops with a straight non reverse leadpipe. Just a stock Meha pipe of sorts, but in the 90s Jerry wouldn't even entertain the idea.

That would be a killer horn!! I played ONE Grand Prix years ago, and have always been on the look out for another. The SC and GP had a much brighter sound than his other horns, which is what I gravitate towards.

I HATE the underslung third valve slide. I'm sure their is some science and engineering that proves I'm wrong...I just never could get used to them.

Either way, I'm glad to see these horns alive and well, and I'm sure you will have tremendous success with them. ESPECIALLY since you are being flexible with special orders and custom work.

Curious about your Studio model....what going on with that horn?!?! Any connections to Callet's designs?
Lee Adams
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut

I am right along with you on a lightweight SuperChops! I saw potential in that many years ago because the original SuperChops trumpet bell was a heavy and thick gauge yellow brass and along with it's slow narrow taper prior to the final flare the SuperChops projected the sound outward tremendously. I saw the SuperChops in a number of projection tests including one with over 20 different trumpets and it always won the projection tests with the Callet Jazz trumpet coming in as the next best in projection.
However the great projection of the SuperChops had a fault in that it has significantly less behind the horn "player feedback" which caused many to overblow the trumpet.
I am currently experimenting with two thinner bell thicknesses to speed up the response, brighten the sound and improve the behind the horn feed back and a different lead pipe and receiver to improve the intonation. If it all works out small limited runs could be made in the future.

As far as the new Studio Artist model it is built on a straight through .464 bore with a semi squared main tuning slide with optional .460 main slide. A special lead pipe similar to the Callet "Jazz" lead pipe but specially proportioned straight sections in key areas. The bell is based on the "Jazz" bell with the final flare changed around a 2 degrees at the custom shop in Atlanta to create a special focus in the sound. Then I do a PVA precision valve alignment on all of the trumpets with port prioritization. Final play testing done by myself with testing and tweaking assistance from George Rawlin.

Last edited by Lee Adams on Fri May 26, 2017 12:08 am; edited 2 times in total
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lightweight .460 SuperchChops w a straight leadpipe would be a dream horn.

I had a stock .460 SC and you're right about behind the horn hearing. Guys would tell me..."STOP PLAYING SO LOUD!!!" but I couldn't tell because my feedback was not good unless I used a sound shield of some sort or had a monitor.

AND I know the leadpipe was wrong because of how sharp that horn played, not matter what mouthpiece, backbore or sleeve I used. But the sound was awesome and powerful. Just wished it was brighter.

I also always thought about having the bell bend be more square instead of how round it was. To tighten up slots and stabilize the horn a bit more.

Anyway, I'm glad you are building these horns again, and know you'll have tremendous success. Best of luck and please keep up updated.
iambrassman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: What vintage Jazz? Reply with quote

Mr. Adams - I reactivated my TH account because I got wind the Jazz was back.

Jerry made a few geometry tweaks on the bell crook around Jazz serial number 6700-6800 -- the older horns have a crook that extends farther than the mouthpiece receiver -- but on the newer ones, the mouthpiece receiver extends farther than the bell crook. Jerry had a reason for the change at the time -- but I find the older geometry blows better for me personally.

Can you comment on this? I'd love some more education, and the possibility of buying a new horn with my old preferences.
Lee Adams
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What vintage Jazz? Reply with quote

iambrassman wrote:
Mr. Adams - I reactivated my TH account because I got wind the Jazz was back.

Jerry made a few geometry tweaks on the bell crook around Jazz serial number 6700-6800 -- the older horns have a crook that extends farther than the mouthpiece receiver -- but on the newer ones, the mouthpiece receiver extends farther than the bell crook. Jerry had a reason for the change at the time -- but I find the older geometry blows better for me personally.

Can you comment on this? I'd love some more education, and the possibility of buying a new horn with my old preferences.

Can you send me some photos of your horn? both lead pipe side and bell side that's shows the receiver extending past the bell bow. Please send to studioartist464@gmail.com
Thanks
drboogenbroom
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Lee,

Any chance you are going to be offering your old "Trumpetchops" mouthpiece designs? I have one of the old "tri-cup" pieces and it is a great piece. Was always a little bummed I never got to try the TC1 and TC2.

Bruno Walter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: