• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Glenn Cronkhite Cases

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve - would be nice to see your rubberized straps as an option with these Cronkite-style cases.
g.acupan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: They're the Best!! Reply with quote

I purchased a Cordura Cronkhite Super Triple, and it's great. I'm extremely pleased with its degree of protection and weight. It's beautifully designed and well protective.

I don't trust anything else to carry my trumpets, lol! I'm all torpedo now! Coyote, Outlaw, and Cronkhite Super Triple!
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grizzle wrote:
Here are some photos of Glenn's designs that we've made recently.

Nice!
Would the Super Triple handle one Bb and a flugel, I'm guessing yes?

Brad
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad,

A super triple will easily handle two full trumpets and a large flugel.

~A
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

Please let me know when these cases become available for dealers and I will be super happy to have them at ACB!

Best,
T

PS: I'll send ya an email about the Velox (I leave for Europe in two weeks)
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trombahonker wrote:
Brad,

~A

Thanks!

Brad
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
trombahonker wrote:
Brad,

~A

Thanks!

Brad

I still owe Steve some photos of the issue I have with this design.

I don't own the leather one and perhaps it is not as susceptible, but my Bb and C trumpet bells end up pushed together at the apex of the triangle and I now have scratches on my C. Since then I either put a towel around one of the bells or even better put both horns in a anti-tarnish bag.

I did talk with Glen about it and he said he never had a complaint like this. So perhaps I am alone in this experience.
grizzle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:

I don't own the leather one and perhaps it is not as susceptible, but my Bb and C trumpet bells end up pushed together at the apex of the triangle and I now have scratches on my C. Since then I either put a towel around one of the bells or even better put both horns in a anti-tarnish bag.

I did talk with Glen about it and he said he never had a complaint like this. So perhaps I am alone in this experience.

Good to know.

There are a few things I would have done differently as a designer, and by contract I can't change the designs. However, we've got it in there that I can make changes with his approval, so...I'll bring this up with Glenn and talk him into it. I think I little velcro add at the end of the case, and then some short extensions left and right coming off the triangle divider would do it.

I also take him at his word that it may have never been brought to his attention. He was and is extremely persnikity, and I believe he would have made the change if he were aware of it. You should see the little details he has that no one else come close to -- like his 70 tuba variations!!! He was a musician's designer, and actually cared about the instruments and his customers.
612-849-3574
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look great!

Is there any chance of convincing you to produce the single leather bag as originally designed with the zipper going all the way around the bell crook and in the opposite direction? Having it in the direction the modern version has is a recipe for disaster if it opens a bit.

Last edited by John Mohan on Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:48 am; edited 2 times in total
grizzle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
They look great!

Is there any chance of convincing you to produce the single leather bag as originally designed with the zipper going all the way around the bell crook and in the opposite direction? Having it in the direction the modern version has is a recipe for disaster if it opens a bit.

Possibly, but down the road a piece. That requires entirely new patterns, and we have 2000 to figure out before we start making new designs.

And I'm not sure what you are talking about. If you could send a photo or drawing to me, that would help: steve@torpedobags.com

And a defunct old bag would help even more!
612-849-3574
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
They look great!

Best wishes,

John Mohan

http://highdefinitionbigband.com
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

homebilly wrote:
John Mohan wrote:
They look great!

Best wishes,

John Mohan

What the heck is the about Ron? We were just talking about this the other day!
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grizzle wrote:
John Mohan wrote:
They look great!

Possibly, but down the road a piece. That requires entirely new patterns, and we have 2000 to figure out before we start making new designs.

And I'm not sure what you are talking about. If you could send a photo or drawing to me, that would help: steve@torpedobags.com

And a defunct old bag would help even more!

Without further ado, my circa 1977 Reunion Blues bag (along with our 2011 Alaskan Malamute Samson hamming it up).

https://s25.postimg.org/fmq6o84zz/IMG_7526.jpg

https://s25.postimg.org/ygbzl837z/IMG_7527.jpg

https://s25.postimg.org/52g95n0i7/IMG_7528.jpg

Forty years old and still going strong (except for the handles to some extent, though no worries as I usually throw it over my shoulder anyway).
With the original design if the zipper opens 6 inches to even a foot, it's no problem, but when the design was changed (I think to make it easier to manufacture) and the zipper direction reversed, if it works its way open 6 inches the horn can slip out - especially if it's being carried over the shoulder with the bell side of the case upward.

Best wishes,

John

P.S. Man, I've got to repaint that radiator cover! The boys make it their perch to look out over the street. Better than any burglar alarm sign, but pretty hard on the paint!
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grizzle wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:

Good to know.

There are a few things I would have done differently as a designer, and by contract I can't change the designs. However, we've got it in there that I can make changes with his approval, so...I'll bring this up with Glenn and talk him into it. I think I little velcro add at the end of the case, and then some short extensions left and right coming off the triangle divider would do it.

I also take him at his word that it may have never been brought to his attention. He was and is extremely persnikity, and I believe he would have made the change if he were aware of it. You should see the little details he has that no one else come close to -- like his 70 tuba variations!!! He was a musician's designer, and actually cared about the instruments and his customers.

Steve, after discussing this with Glen I tried adding Velcro. I am now worried about the Velcro scratching the silver on my bells. The short extensions sounds like an idea that would work.

I can understand why he is persnickety now after I heard the story about some of his previous business partnerships.
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got an email from Lindsey Deming saying that Glenn's bags are now 25% off.
Is Lindsey Deming related to Torpedo Bags or some other company?
grizzle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry wrote:
I just got an email from Lindsey Deming saying that Glenn's bags are now 25% off. Is Lindsey Deming related to Torpedo Bags or some other company?

Lindsey is our new Director of Sales and Marketing. The coupon is legit, but will work only on the Cronkhite site. Love2017 is the code.

1 week, 25% off, and I doubt we'll go to 25% for some time after this one expires. Another reason to take advantage is that we can guarantee delivery before Christmas. Anything coming in after Thanksgiving is going to be tricky.

www.glenncronkhite.com

BTW, the Torpedobags.com site is being moved TODAY from GoDaddy hosting to Siteground, in hopes of curing some sluggish performance. The cronkhite site has been hosted at Siteground since we took over, and is blazing fast. In other words, if you're trying to find the Torpedo Bag site, it may be down for a wee bit today (Monday 11/6/17). I hope the shift is seamless, but you never know.
612-849-3574
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was and still is my favorite design with the zipper on top. my case is still kicking too even after 3 zipper replacements. although it is semi retired.

was for a horn or mouthpiece falling out of the bottom of the newer design.
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trombahonker wrote:
Steve - would be nice to see your rubberized straps as an option with these Cronkite-style cases.

I just noticed this: when I bought a Cronkhite leather single from Steve, I also bought one of his rubberized straps, works great.

Brad
Bb Bob

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty,

I think I may have a solution for the clanging bells in the Super Triple Case when packing three horns without having to use Velcro. I took a look at my Super Triple and if we place a 1” foam spacer in front of the bells of the horns in the side compartments the problem will be solved. The side horns are now an inch further back from the apex leaving material and padding between the bells. Hope this helps, just my 2 cents

Bob
trumpetera
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have developed some kind of gig bag fetish over the years, and especially regarding the Cronkhite designs.

I own a single (well, actually two. One from 1979 and one that apparently was the last one Glenn made. Still haven't unwrapped it though.), a double, TWO triples and a super triple. The super triple also being one of the last one of Glenns manufacture.

These cases have been my companions all through my career, my first single was given to me by my dad when I was about ten.

The quality is outstanding, as is the protection. A gig bag has it's pro's and con's, and you can always find a case that will protect your horn(s) better if dropped or lugged around by some airport hooligan, but the beauty of a good quality gig bag is that it is easy to carry around. This means you'll always have it close to you, instead of a heavy, bulky hard-case.

I've been on long tours, carrying one rotary Bb, a rotary C and a piston C in my triple along with ipad, charger, oil, book and whatnot without any problem carrying it on board any airplane.

I am so happy to see that these cases are still being made!
Bach NY ML 1943 vintage Bb
Very old YTR-6335
Bach/Malone/Lechner C
Malone-Bach 229 C
H.Ganter Bb
Schagerl Wienna (older model) C
Parker Natural
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: