• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

"Distressed" Reunion Blues Bag Needs Therapy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maarten van Weverwijk wrote:
Look here for the real deal, still made today by the founder/ex-owner of RB:
http://www.glenncronkhite.com/

Nothing against the guy, but that has to be the weakest commercial website I've ever seen. Two pages, one image used on both pages, and almost completely content-free.

Maybe it's like BBQ joints though. The crappier the decorations, the better the food.

John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
Maarten van Weverwijk wrote:
Look here for the real deal, still made today by the founder/ex-owner of RB:
http://www.glenncronkhite.com/

Nothing against the guy, but that has to be the weakest commercial website I've ever seen. Two pages, one image used on both pages, and almost completely content-free.

Maybe it's like BBQ joints though. The crappier the decorations, the better the food.

The Website issue has all changed now since Torpedo Bags has stepped up to the plate and is now producing Glenn's amazing bags.

I'm bumping this thread so Steve at Torpedo Bags has a few more pictures of the original single bag design to have a look at.

Cheers,

John
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those unfamiliar with this old thread, there's some good, amusing reading to be had on the first page, particularly starting where a representative of Reunion Blues named Dave goes and attempts to lecture Steve Kriesel from Torpedo Bags and Yours Truly about the wonderfulness, and worldly ethical nature of Reunion Blues outsourcing its manufacturing. He goes so far as to state that the reason the newer owners of Reunion Blues outsourced was because they couldn't find anyone in the U.S. capable of making quality bags ("We explored this after purchasing the company but were unable to find a [U.S.] facility capable of meeting our quality standards.").

I replied to his post and at the end of my post, I asked him one simple question:

"I’m curious Dave, what’s the average monthly income of one of your Chinese factory workers?"

That was in 2010. It's been crickets ever since...
grizzle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We switched the website a few weeks ago (from Glenn's 2-pager), while we work on the eCommerce SSL one that will be a real upgrade from what's been there for years.

The new one that replaced his is just one page, with our email and phone, to get people to stop calling and emailing Glenn. Dude's trying to retire!

Look for the new full-featured site in 1-2-3 weeks.

We can make any of his trumpet designs at this point. Not all of them are up on www.torpedobags.com, but this is what we know we can make:

Single Trumpet
Double Trumpet
Triple Trumpet
Super Triple Trumpet
Cornet
Flugelhorn
Picc Trumpet
Rotary Trumpet

We are working through the trombone bags later this week.
612-849-3574
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grizzle wrote:
We switched the website a few weeks ago (from Glenn's 2-pager), while we work on the eCommerce SSL one that will be a real upgrade from what's been there for years.

The new one that replaced his is just one page, with our email and phone, to get people to stop calling and emailing Glenn. Dude's trying to retire!

Look for the new full-featured site in 1-2-3 weeks.

We can make any of his trumpet designs at this point. Not all of them are up on www.torpedobags.com, but this is what we know we can make:

Single Trumpet
Double Trumpet
Triple Trumpet
Super Triple Trumpet
Cornet
Flugelhorn
Picc Trumpet
Rotary Trumpet

We are working through the trombone bags later this week.

Excellent!
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it is worth, here is my 2 cents.

Business owners are in the business of business. They have to weigh competing interests, cost, quality, social impacts, etc. The marketplace rewards or punishes their decisions. If they make bad enough decisions, they go broke.

One of the things that a business owner needs to take into account is that if he doesn’t make a profit, his company will cease to exist. Social interests are important, but their relative importance must necessarily be balanced against the imperative to earn a profit. Ultimately, a business that loses money will be out of business. Businesses are not governments. Governments can ignore (to some extent) market forces by raising taxes, imposing tariffs and by many other tactics not available to a private business. Many of these government practices put additional burden on businesses. For example, the U.S. has one of the highest corporate tax rates in the world. Additionally, it imposes a high payroll tax and an administrative burden that eats into profits. These are expenses that a businessman must bear and that weigh heavily in favor of the decision to outsource to other countries.

On some issues there is room for different points of view. For example, a “living wage” in the U.S. is considerably different than a living wage in Pakistan. What constitutes a “fair” wage is subjective. It is simply a fact of life that wages are determined much more by economic realities than subjective values. Yes, governments can to some extent for at least a period of time manipulate economic considerations, but in the long run, economic reality will have its way.

As for the value judgments themselves, there is room for disagreement. For example, some may think that the employment of people in the home country is more important than the employment of people in another country; others may disagree. People of good will can have different points of view.

It is a fortunate characteristic of capitalism that entrepreneurs are afforded the opportunity to compete in the marketplace, thus offering consumers choices, not only of products but of business practices.

There is room in the marketplace for different business strategies. Many of the strategies will have supporters and detractors. Consumers vote with their dollars and will ultimately decide which corporate business strategies will flourish and which will not survive.

If you are passionately for or against a certain company or business practice, my only recommendation would be to keep the tone of the discourse cordial - if for no other reason than because if you don’t the moderators will step in.

I own a Torpedo Loredo in leather and love it. I have a re-imagined Coyote on order and I expect to love it as much as my other bag. For the record, my purchase decision was not driven by altruism (well, maybe a little; Steve is an entrepreneur and I regard entrepreneurs as heroes). Rather, it was driven by a desire to give my horns the ultimate in protection and, well, let's be honest here, by sheer, unbridled lust for the gorgeous leather.

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought, but those really distressed RB bags that you guys have been toting around could be (and should be) reconditioned. I'd venture to guess that any shoe repair shop could do it, but if you wanted to, there are a lot of easy to obtain leather products that would recondition the leather and add a really cool finish to them them. They would look antiqued, but they would also be able to with stand any kind of moisture or abrasion a lot better.

Here's a quick example of what I'm talking about:

- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
Just a thought, but those really distressed RB bags that you guys have been toting around could be (and should be) reconditioned. I'd venture to guess that any shoe repair shop could do it, but if you wanted to, there are a lot of easy to obtain leather products that would recondition the leather and add a really cool finish to them them. They would look antiqued, but they would also be able to with stand any kind of moisture or abrasion a lot better.

But I like my bag the way it is.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Grits,

Well written! The only comment I would add is in regard to what you wrote about the different standards of living between "us" and "them". It's very concerning to me that if we continue on the path of globalization, I think the "happy medium" we all reach won't be very "happy" for the U.S. citizen - it, in terms of where we all end up, it won't really be a "medium". It will be canted much further to the side of a shack, a bicycle and an income of $400 or less per month. Personally, I like our standard of living here and don't want it to further diminish. When businesses here collectively outsource (to remain competitive because "everybody else is doing it") it's sending our standard of living in the wrong direction in the long run. And as smart as I (think I) am, I have no idea what can be done to stop this trend and create a new trend where somehow the less developed nations head toward our standard of living while we at least stay at the level we're presently at.

Cheers (anyway),

John

P.S. I'm glad this hasn't been moderated away. While politics are taboo on the TH (for good reason) I see this as a positive, thoughtful discussion. But if it heads in the wrong direction, I'd hit the ZAP button myself if I had one.
OldKing

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
trickg wrote:

Ahh, "the beat-up cowboy" look we call it down here. Beware the ladies that are attracted to that!

I have the same gig bag, made here, without all the "dues paid".
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan,

Thanks for the kind words.

I think it a fools errand to try to address such huge issues in a blog dedicated to trumpets, but sometimes I am not very good at bridling my tongue.

Rather than write articles on global economics, I would much rather read the tips you and others provide about playing trumpet.

I also enjoy the fact that folks from Torpedo Bags, Reunion Blues, and other folks in the business of playing trumpet, or making and selling trumpet related products and services post here. They all contribute to my education. They provide information that isn't available anywhere else. I like to see them all treated cordially so that they will continue to contribute.

Oh, and while I am on the subject, I admire the fact that you continue to post after all of the flak you have received on this site. You must have unusually thick skin. With self confidence like that, you should play lead trumpet.

Warm regards,
Grits
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John is well looked after as he has his vintage Claude Jammies on for protection

mine on the other hand are distressed and in need of refurbishing
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:

Fair enough - to each their own.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what this says about my sophomoric sense of humor, but the Claude jammies bit actually became funny about the 10th time I came across it. There is something about a running gag that cracks me up (I miss Capt. Kirk too).

Forgive me for encouraging it. I know; I should be banned from posting for such a remark.

Warm regards,
Grits
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grits Burgh wrote:
John Mohan,

Thanks for the kind words.

You're welcome!

Grits Burgh wrote:
Oh, and while I am on the subject, I admire the fact that you continue to post after all of the flak you have received on this site. You must have unusually thick skin. With self confidence like that, you should play lead trumpet.

Warm regards,
Grits

Nothing to do with thick skin. I just figure their responses are so impassioned because they all love me so much.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homebilly wrote:
John is well looked after as he has his vintage Claude Jammies on for protection

mine on the other hand are distressed and in need of refurbishing

That's because you keep yours on all night, silly!
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure the leather is drying out. Saddle soap can help.
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Don Herman rev2 posted:

Just make sure the leather is drying out. Saddle soap can help.

I'm a little confused. Perhaps that should have read "Just make sure that the leather ISN'T drying out."

Either that or saddle soap helps dry out the leather? I don't know, maybe it does. I have never used saddle soap.

Warm regards,
Grits
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: