• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Origins of the Olds CHR and Reynolds ERA

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rufflicks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Origins of the Olds CHR and Reynolds ERA Reply with quote

In this Video I explore the origins of the Olds Custom High Register and Reynolds Extended Range Altissimo Designed by William T. Cardwell for Olds. I demonstrate 4 different bells that have the same intonation characteristic but totally different tone colors. I also compare the Olds CHR to 2 other trumpet designs.

William T. Cardwell has done unparalleled work on trumpet design. He was able to predict and calculate intonation in trumpet design. He backed this up by building a machine to confirm his theories. You can read more in an article by Gary Bast in the ITG Journal Vol 41. No. 1 October 2016

My final conclusion about the Olds CHR is that ts does what is was advertised to do. It makes the upper register easier. When I looked at the audio graphs as I edited this video the reinforcement of the higher notes by the brighter (2000hz) bell was quite pronounced. There is evidence in listening as well. Is it easier than other horns of the day? Quite possibly! Is the over all playability better? Well that is debatable.

Link

Best, Jon

Remember this is supposed to be fun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: