• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The one...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: The one... Reply with quote

jaysonr wrote:
Mark Bradley wrote:
jaysonr wrote:
I have a confession to make. I only own one mouthpiece. In fact, for about the last two months, I've only owned one mouthpiece. I have no desire to buy another mouthpiece, ever, unless I need something more specialized one day.

Once Bri and GR pointed me in the right direction, I was set. It was a process of small adjustments, and trying different pieces in that diameter range, and quickly, I struck gold.

In a way, I feel back that I did not end up on a GR piece, simply because Brian and GR changed my playing life. I'm sure if I did a full consult where I could try everything they have I might find a better match than the GR's I've tried, but I don't need to. Unless I lose this mouthpiece, it gets damaged, or I have major dental work, I don't see that I'll ever need another.

And you know what? It's amazing. It's freeing. I didn't realize how much time I was wasting reading post related to mouthpiece minutiae, or checking the marketplace or Facebook groups for the next thing I wanted to try.

Also, just playing the same piece for 2 months has done wonders for consistency. I have, for the first time in years, a consistent and confident "set". I also spend a small fraction of the time I used to spend warming up and getting things working. In fact, I can pretty much pick up the horn and play from top to bottom with minimal effort.

And it's amazing.

The moral, don't give up on your quest, but when you strike gold, STOP, and enjoy.

Now, I simply hope I can use the information I've learned trying nearly every mouthpiece under the sun in the 1-1.5C diameter range while I'm playing on my magic mouthpiece w/ a "3" diameter.

If you happen to be curious, I'm on a Greg Black 3CD/25/9

Let us know in a year or so if you feel the same way. Don't get me wrong, I hope you do. But at the risk of throwing a turd in the punch bowl I've felt about a new mouthpiece EXACTLY the way you do now... at least a dozen times.

Nope. I've felt good about a mouthpiece before also. I'll post back in a year though.

I will even add that I'm helping a friend on his mouthpiece quest, so I'm keeping an eye on the usual places for used pieces, and I have not had one inkling to buy or try anything. I think I'm clean and sober at this point.
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaysonr wrote:

It's true. Only one. I sold the rest and bought a Pelikan M205 and some Edelstein ink I'd been wanting.

Pen collector detected.

That's an interesting rabbit hole BTW; I could never get into it though because experiences with the Rapidograph as a teen have immunized me.
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1jazzyalex wrote:
Pen collector detected.

Guilty
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The one... Reply with quote

jaysonr wrote:
I kept wanting to get a hold of a GR e65, but I ended up trying this Greg Black and I haven't looked back.

Oh oh... GUess what I just saw on ebay...
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The one... Reply with quote

Trumpetingbynurture wrote:
jaysonr wrote:
I kept wanting to get a hold of a GR e65, but I ended up trying this Greg Black and I haven't looked back.

Nope.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: The one... Reply with quote

jaysonr wrote:
jaysonr wrote:

Nope.

Man, you've changed...
vwag
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't some of these tendencies psychological!? I'm an engineer, a tinkerer, and I enjoy the search and process of fine tuning. The best mouthpiece for some isn't the one you found, it's the one you are about to find. The search is the addiction. That being said, I found a Curry that is good as it will get for me, for now, but maybe I need it gold plated!!!
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwag wrote:
Aren't some of these tendencies psychological!? I'm an engineer, a tinkerer, and I enjoy the search and process of fine tuning. The best mouthpiece for some isn't the one you found, it's the one you are about to find. The search is the addiction. That being said, I found a Curry that is good as it will get for me, for now, but maybe I need it gold plated!!!

You are probably right. I'm also an analyzer and tinkerer by nature.
I just think searching for the perfect fountain pen is far less destructive to my trumpet playing than changing mouthpieces every two weeks.
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: The one... Reply with quote

jaysonr wrote:
jaysonr wrote:

Nope.

Man, you've changed...

Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaysonr wrote:
I have a confession to make. I only own one mouthpiece. In fact, for about the last two months, I've only owned one mouthpiece. I have no desire to buy another mouthpiece, ever, unless I need something more specialized one day.

I played a Jet-Tone T1A for years and years - it was the first mp that had ever felt comfortable to me. However my setup and approach changed over time and trying some other mp's I realized the Jet-Tone which had once been a big improvement in comfort was holding me back. Trying it now I don't even like it that much.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
2many5s

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The one... Reply with quote

jaysonr wrote:
jaysonr wrote:
Mark Bradley wrote:
jaysonr wrote:

Once Bri and GR pointed me in the right direction, I was set. It was a process of small adjustments, and trying different pieces in that diameter range, and quickly, I struck gold.

In a way, I feel back that I did not end up on a GR piece, simply because Brian and GR changed my playing life. I'm sure if I did a full consult where I could try everything they have I might find a better match than the GR's I've tried, but I don't need to. Unless I lose this mouthpiece, it gets damaged, or I have major dental work, I don't see that I'll ever need another.

And you know what? It's amazing. It's freeing. I didn't realize how much time I was wasting reading post related to mouthpiece minutiae, or checking the marketplace or Facebook groups for the next thing I wanted to try.

Also, just playing the same piece for 2 months has done wonders for consistency. I have, for the first time in years, a consistent and confident "set". I also spend a small fraction of the time I used to spend warming up and getting things working. In fact, I can pretty much pick up the horn and play from top to bottom with minimal effort.

And it's amazing.

The moral, don't give up on your quest, but when you strike gold, STOP, and enjoy.

Now, I simply hope I can use the information I've learned trying nearly every mouthpiece under the sun in the 1-1.5C diameter range while I'm playing on my magic mouthpiece w/ a "3" diameter.

Let us know in a year or so if you feel the same way. Don't get me wrong, I hope you do. But at the risk of throwing a turd in the punch bowl I've felt about a new mouthpiece EXACTLY the way you do now... at least a dozen times.

Nope. I've felt good about a mouthpiece before also. I'll post back in a year though.

I will even add that I'm helping a friend on his mouthpiece quest, so I'm keeping an eye on the usual places for used pieces, and I have not had one inkling to buy or try anything. I think I'm clean and sober at this point.

Time to start looking for a new horn!
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason,

I finally got back from a trip and had the time to listen to the sound clip that you posted. You have a very nice sound. That is the sort of sound I have been trying to produce. I think that I am pretty close, but I am having some challenges in the low register - the notes are a little fuzzy; they lack clarity and resonance. The sound of the low notes clears up on a larger mouthpiece.

How did you know when you found the right diameter mouthpiece? Are there specific exercises that you play to determine the size or do you just keep trying new mouthpieces until you either find one feels right or give up the search in disgust?

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The one... Reply with quote

jaysonr wrote:

And it's amazing.

Glad you're on Greg's stuff, it's magic! Did you go to his shop?
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The one... Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
jaysonr wrote:

And if the specs are right it appears to be a small-ish 3C at 0.650". My favorite comparator puts the standard Bach 3C at 0.665" with the stock Bach 1.5C measuring 0.670".

I'd probably love it. Haven't ventured into an underpart that compares to the 25 drill and 9 (~Bach 24) backbore yet, but I'm curious to try it.

Congrats on the suspension of your safari.

Greg's size 3 rim is indeed .650" but if I measure a Bach 1.5 the same way I get .665". That size and bigger, both makers run the same.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaysonr wrote:
vwag wrote:

I just think searching for the perfect fountain pen is far less destructive to my trumpet playing than changing mouthpieces every two weeks.

Post of the year!
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
jaysonr wrote:

I played a Jet-Tone T1A for years and years - it was the first mp that had ever felt comfortable to me. However my setup and approach changed over time and trying some other mp's I realized the Jet-Tone which had once been a big improvement in comfort was holding me back. Trying it now I don't even like it that much.

I played everything on a Bach 1 1/4 for almost 30 years. Then I thought I didn't develop so the safari got under way. Today I realise that finding a teacher instead (which I did 4 years ago, having celebrated my 71 birthday) would have spared me at least 10 mpc:s......
I can still play the Bach but my output is far nicer with the Wick.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
ruotjoh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll buy another mouthpiece eventually. We all do and then it's time for a safari once again. Been there, done that... many times.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaysonr wrote:
vwag wrote:

I dunno... Hasn't seemed to hurt old Doc Severinsen any hahaha I heard he had a bathtub full of mouthpieces.
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaysonr wrote:
vwag wrote:

I dunno... Hasn't seemed to hurt old Doc Severinsen any hahaha I heard he had a bathtub full of mouthpieces.

Yeah, but he's Doc Severinsen.

ruotjoh wrote:
You'll buy another mouthpiece eventually. We all do and then it's time for a safari once again. Been there, done that... many times.

Nope; I'm done.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: The one... Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
Greg's size 3 rim is indeed .650" but if I measure a Bach 1.5 the same way I get .665". That size and bigger, both makers run the same.

When I chose my 3C rim they were significantly smaller than the 1.5C rim. Nowadays they are much more similar in size and too big for me.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: