• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Coming back from front teeth crowns

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsample

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Coming back from front teeth crowns Reply with quote

Anyone else face the nightmare of having to learn how to play again after a front upper teeth change. I had to have crowns for upper front teeth after they were worn to see-through windows and chipping. The dentist gave me what he called the teeth of a younger person and it ended up totally destroying my ability to play. I have been coming back from that for the past nearly 4 years and doubt I will ever regain what I had before.

I had him take some of the length off and I have made sure there were small gaps between them and that has helped a bit. The back of the crowns are much bigger than my teeth were and it feels like gum stuck back there. It especially interferes with my tongueing.

I haven't been on here as a member for long but have been here reading for several years and have purchased a flugel from a member here.
ButchA
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know how you feel. You will get your chops back, believe me. It just takes a lot of time and patience.

For me - how about losing ALL your front teeth (and a busted an eye tooth) while playing amateur ice hockey, back in the day!

All these years later, after the bridge I wore for years broke in two, the oral surgeons and prosthetic dentists (denture dentists) decided it was time for me to get a complete upper denture plate - no teeth at all on top!

Long story short... After months of relearning how to play, I found I can still do it. You will NEVER lose your ability to play - trust me! It takes a lot of hard work, determination, and months and months of struggle, but you will get your chops back. You might lose your upper high range (in my case - yes - I can't go above a high C, above the ledger line). I can only hit it briefly though, but any more screaming high tones, and I'll pop my denture plate, no matter how much Fixodent or Super Polygrip I use!
jimspeedjae
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly different topic, but a few stories here (including my own) about playing on re-constructed teeth of one kind or another.

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=125438&highlight=

My front tooth broke when I was about 7 and had a cap put on it...then I learnt to play. I used to be able to play up to a double C on a 11/4C with that tooth. Cap came off in high school - and it was replaced. Still had great range, but not as good as before and it took me 6 months to get back.

Saw me through college when I decided I needed something a bit more permanet if this was going to be a career...so "upgraded" to a crown. I knew to take a lot more time with the dentist about getting the moulds and everything as close as possible. Took a few weeks to get back without too much moticeable difference.

After 15 years (and moving to my new careers) the crown/tooth combo failed and I needed an implant - I had actually stopeed playing at this point for a few years. After the implant I started playing again and I feel I know play as well as ever.

So I've gone through it a few times. And I would just say, take the time to get back to basics and work it back up. Let the progression happen and don't over-do it. Forcing myself to do that after the implant is one of the reasons, whilst not playing as much, I feel as good about my playing as I ever did.

Good luck and with patience and practice I'm sure things will work out for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: