• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Curry 1.5M vs. Curry 3M

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Curry 1.5M vs. Curry 3M Reply with quote

I've been playing a Curry 1.5M and just got a Curry 3M. The 1.5M has a rim diameter of .670" and the 3M is .665", yet, the 3M feels "bigger" -- does that make any sense?

I thought it might be a difference in rims, so I went to the Curry website. The rim overlays for 1.5, 3., 5, and 7 are given on the website, but I can't tell how they are assigned.
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Curry 1.5M vs. Curry 3M Reply with quote

slee wrote:
I've been playing a Curry 1.5M and just got a Curry 3M. The 1.5M has a rim diameter of .670" and the 3M is .665", yet, the 3M feels "bigger" -- does that make any sense?

I thought it might be a difference in rims, so I went to the Curry website. The rim overlays for 1.5, 3., 5, and 7 are given on the website, but I can't tell how they are assigned.

Does your 3M have a . (dot) stamped behind the model like: "3M."? If not, your piece actually is bigger than a 1.5M. Otherwise, it could just be the different contour making it feel that way. The Curry 1.5 rim has always felt more compact than most to me in that size designation.
slee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Curry 1.5M vs. Curry 3M Reply with quote

jaysonr wrote:
slee wrote:

Does your 3M have a . (dot) stamped behind the model like: "3M."? If not, your piece actually is bigger than a 1.5M. Otherwise, it could just be the different contour making it feel that way. The Curry 1.5 rim has always felt more compact than most to me in that size designation.

Yes. The new mouthpiece is a "3M."
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all in the rim. I've played Curry 2 rims for a while, then switched to 3 rims and the 3 feels bigger than the 2. Than again switched to 5 rim and -surprise- while the piece feel about the same of 3 (sure not smaller) the sound is so MUCH more open and big. If you have a digital caliber you can check by yourself: the effective size of the piece is less relevant than the rim size.
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Bach NY Special edition 2008
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: