• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Claude Gordon Teacher in Germany

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanielFr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:05 am    Post subject: Claude Gordon Teacher in Germany Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I am following Claude's Systematic Approach now for several months and already did some good progress, but I feel like I would benefit even more with a more personalized guidance with this approach, so I was wondering if there is any "Claude Gordon certified teacher" around in Germany?

Best
Daniel

(sorry for any grammar / spelling mistakes)
NevadaBigHorn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM John Mohan. A personal student of Claude Gordon. As I recall he's spent time playing in Germany and gives Skype lessons.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Claude Gordon Teacher in Germany Reply with quote

DanielFr wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am following Claude's Systematic Approach now for several months and already did some good progress, but I feel like I would benefit even more with a more personalized guidance with this approach, so I was wondering if there is any "Claude Gordon certified teacher" around in Germany?

Best
Daniel

(sorry for any grammar / spelling mistakes)

Hallo Daniel,

Ich lebte seit sechs Jahren in Deutschland. But even after living there for six years, my German is not as good as your Englisch, so, zurück auf Englisch.

I studied with Claude Gordon for many years and played as a Studio Musician in Los Angeles until I met my wife-to-be who is German. Then I moved to Germany in 1998 and played 1st Trumpet for Cats in Hamburg, then 2nd and sometimes 1st Trumpet for Der Glöckner von Notre Dame in Berlin for the last two years of its three year Welt Premiere there, then Evita in Berlin, West Side Story in Basel, Schweiz and finally the Europa Tour of Grease das Musical in 2003 and 2004 before we moved back to the States.

I now give Skype Trumpet Lessons to people all over the world, with students in Österreich, Australia, England, Singapore, the United States, and even one in Novo Mesto, Slovenia, where Melania Trump was born. I would be happy to help you.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grüß Gott , Daniel! I moved here (U.S.A.) from Germany and don't know of anyone teaching Claude's style there. Ironically, your best bet might actually be hooking up with John in the states via Skype), not Germany.

Grüß Gott, Daniel! Ich bin hierher gekommen (U.S.A.) aus Deutschland und weiß nicht von jemandem, der Claudes Stil dort lehrt. Ironischerweise könnte deine beste Wette tatsächlich mit John in den Staaten über Skype verpacken, nicht Deutschland

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Flueskum

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest to you from my personal experience to practice the stamp method or even maggio (simplified version of stamp-(before stamp))
Gordon is very physical method and can easily be waste of time (saying that- I spent years playing his methods.)
But of course thats only my experience...
happy practicing..
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flueskum wrote:
I would suggest to you from my personal experience to practice the stamp method or even maggio (simplified version of stamp-(before stamp))
Gordon is very physical method and can easily be waste of time (saying that- I spent years playing his methods.)
happy practicing..

The Claude Gordon method does develop the required strength quicker than other methods, if that's what you mean by it being a "very physical method". That said, practicing the CG method is not overly taxing, if one does it correctly.

A given note at a given volume of sound requires the same physical effort no matter what "method" one has used to develop one's ability. But that said, part of ability development involves developing better coordination and efficiency, and having more efficiency allows one to produce more sound with less physical effort. In particular, the Claude Gordon method (practiced properly) will develop both strength and efficiency as fast or faster than any other method.

The OP wrote that he is interested in studying with a Claude Gordon teacher. He placed his post and started this thread in the dedicated Claude Gordon forum. To come here and write negative things about the method and suggest other methods instead, is in poor taste. It would not be allowed in most, if not all of the other dedicated forums of the Trumpet Herald (if I posted as you did here, but in the Jerome Callet Forum suggesting to an OP who wanted to study with a Callet teacher that the Callet method "can easily be a waste of time" and that he should instead use the Claude Gordon or Bill Adams method, my post would be gone in a New York second, and I'd probably be banned permanently from the Callet Forum).

But of course, this is the Claude Gordon forum which has no real Moderator and hasn't for years as I fear "lh" (David from London) is no longer with us. He and I were in regular correspondence years ago and he was having some major health issues. Then one day, communication from him ceased.

I was the original Moderator for this forum when it was formed, but my Moderator privileges were taken away many years ago for being honestly critical of the Callet Method - note that the critical material I wrote was not in the dedicated Callet Forum. But it was felt (rightly) by Todd that a Dedicated Forum Moderator should restrain from writing anything negative about any of the other methods. I have mixed feelings to this day about no longer being the Moderator here. Now I can write what I want when someone seeks help or opinions whereas as a Moderator I would be expected to hold back. But even now, as free to write what I want when I want to, I'd never go a a dedicated forum and write negative material there.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Flueskum

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Flueskum wrote:
happy practicing..

The Claude Gordon method does develop the required strength quicker than other methods, if that's what you mean by it being a "very physical method". That said, practicing the CG method is not overly taxing, if one does it correctly.

A given note at a given volume of sound requires the same physical effort no matter what "method" one has used to develop one's ability. But that said, part of ability development involves developing better coordination and efficiency, and having more efficiency allows one to produce more sound with less physical effort. In particular, the Claude Gordon method (practiced properly) will develop both strength and efficiency as fast or faster than any other method.

The OP wrote that he is interested in studying with a Claude Gordon teacher. He placed his post and started this thread in the dedicated Claude Gordon forum. To come here and write negative things about the method and suggest other methods instead, is in poor taste. It would not be allowed in most, if not all of the other dedicated forums of the Trumpet Herald (if I posted as you did here, but in the Jerome Callet Forum suggesting to an OP who wanted to study with a Callet teacher that the Callet method "can easily be a waste of time" and that he should instead use the Claude Gordon or Bill Adams method, my post would be gone in a New York second, and I'd probably be banned permanently from the Callet Forum).

But of course, this is the Claude Gordon forum which has no real Moderator and hasn't for years as I fear "lh" (David from London) is no longer with us. He and I were in regular correspondence years ago and he was having some major health issues. Then one day, communication from him ceased.

I was the original Moderator for this forum when it was formed, but my Moderator privileges were taken away many years ago for being honestly critical of the Callet Method - note that the critical material I wrote was not in the dedicated Callet Forum. But it was felt (rightly) by Todd that a Dedicated Forum Moderator should restrain from writing anything negative about any of the other methods. I have mixed feelings to this day about no longer being the Moderator here. Now I can write what I want when someone seeks help or opinions whereas as a Moderator I would be expected to hold back. But even now, as free to write what I want when I want to, I'd never go a a dedicated forum and write negative material there.

Sincerely,

John Mohan

Is my comment/suggestion here on the world wide web any more negative or tasteless than your suggestions not to practice the mouthpiece on mouthpiece buzzing posts/forums ?

All I can say is that there are many other methods out there that are built more efficiently and consistently than CG method. Ive seen many many students and coworkers spend unnecessary amount of time practicing and taking lessons on this method with little if no results.
This is trumpetherald after all and we are all titled to our opinions correct ? we come here to share information, wether its a positive experience or negative, no ?

Dont take it so seriously
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually just logged back in to copy, then delete my reply to you and then send it to you in a Private Message instead as I didn't want to cause you public embarrassment (I should have done in the first place). But I see you clearly were not embarrassed.

If there was a dedicated forum to mouthpiece buzzing (or lip buzzing or pencil exercises) I would never write anything disparaging of those things in that dedicated forum.

Your message would be fine if the OP had posted in a general forum. And it would have been fine if you had sent him a Private Message with your opinions. Posting what you posted in a dedicated forum - and now doubled down on - is in poor taste and as I wrote before, would be deleted from the other Dedicated Forums (for good reason).
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flueskum wrote:
Is my comment/suggestion here on the world wide web any more negative or tasteless than your suggestions not to practice the mouthpiece on mouthpiece buzzing posts/forums ?

Flueskum, I think it's just a case of where you posted, more than anything. I personally click on "View Posts Since Last Visit" and pay no attention what forum division the posts actually come from, which may be an oversight on my part at times. Maybe your post is similar.

Personally, I got the most help from Maggio and the Balanced Embouchure, but saying so just depends on where and how I say so. I think this might just be an honest oversight and is not worth either you or John taking any further offense.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a good pair of Claude Jammies make the physicality part a bit easier.

I suggest the CG Personal size in 22 length.
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homebilly wrote:
a good pair of Claude Jammies make the physicality part a bit easier.

I suggest the CG Personal size in 22 length.

Too hot and humid right now in Chicago for my CG Jammies. So I hid them hard and wished them well.
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://highdefinitionbigband.com
DanielFr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks all for your help, I really appreciate it.

John, I have sent you a pm.

Best,
Daniel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: