• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

You guys who use gig bags:

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently had a gig bag made for me and am very happy with it. Check it out.

messinacovers.net
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: just received the Cronkhite single black leather bag from Steve, as expected, he has kept the quality really high! It probably won't REPLACE my Torpedos, but is a great option for the gigs where I can keep an eye on it at all times; light, great looking and looks like very good protection, bearing in mind it's not a hard case.

Brad
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the time I use an Altieri single with the piccolo pocket. I never put a pic in it but it does hold 4 or 5 mutes and a trumpet stand. Never a damage issue with it. When I bring the flugle everything goes into my trusty old Walt Johnson shin buster case.
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy so far with my Pro Tec "Pro Pac" which to me is like the best of both worlds - light as a gig bag but has some pretty good protection. But my uses are carrying it when riding my bike and carrying it on public transportation.
HarryRichardson

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had some damage to a horn in an older Reunion Blues Gig Bag, and I had a friend that got a horn crushed in one. It takes awhile to find a great horn, and when you do, they'll last a long time if taken care of. I don't want to risk anything with a gig bag anymore. Now I use one of the early Wolfpak's. No damage so far. I'm going on 35 years with my current Bach.
Trumpetguy74

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the damage I've had done to horns with gig bags wasn't the bag, but me being careless and dropping things (pencils, etc.) into the bag onto the horn. But I have one of the early Wolfpaks too that I use most of the time.
Margo Rodriguez

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always use my gig bag and use it very carefully. That`s why it has been with me for about ten years
treymeansthree

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a single bag made by Levy's for about 16 years. My high school band director just gave it to me one day. I have never had an issue with a horn getting damaged in it. Unfortunately, the bag is not made from leather and the outside is falling apart from constant use. I just ordered a Cronkhite leather single about a week ago to finally replace it. I am eagerly awaiting its arrival.

I have also used a Reunion Blues leather super triple case for when I need to carry more than one horn. The only issue I ever had with that was that the clips on the strap broke three different times. Each time this happened, I sent an email to Reunion Blues with a picture of the broken clip and they sent me new strap. Each of those three times, the whole case fell off my back onto concrete. Fortunately, my horns were never damaged. I think that speaks to the design of the case.

Regardless of the case I put my horns in, all of them are insured with a personal articles policy. If any damage happens, State Farm takes care of it without even a deductible. I haven't had to use this yet, but it sure gives me peace of mind.

Bb - Warburton 434-ML
Picc - Yamaha 6810S
Flugel - Yamaha 631
trumpetera
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my first RB gig bag about 35 years ago. A single leather bag that was a "coming-home-from-a-long-tour-present" from my dad, who went on a US tour for what seemed to be FOREVER for a 12 year old.

In those days, I used to carry one Bach Bb (still my main Bb), the Arban book and a BICYCLE PUMP (my bike regularly had a leaking tyre!) in it!

Still use both the bag and the horn today.

Then, as years passed, and I went on to study the trumpet seriously, I bought a RB leather double and a triple, both bought in the early 90's

The ONLY time anything has ever happened to my horns in these bags were when a very fat lady sat down on my single bag on a train once.

Fast forward to present time, when I heard that Glenn was closing down, I hastily bought two cases from him. Probably the last trumpet cases he had left. One single leather, still unpacked from the plastic waiting for my trumpet playing sons birthday, and one super triple in leather.

I have used-and use these cases every work day, the last 22 years playing in the Gothenburg Opera Orchestra, and freelancing in symphony orchestras and various baroque orchestras, blues bands, jazz gigs etc. I have them slung over my back when I go to work, carrying flugels, rotary trumpets, natural trumpets pics, cornets....any horn I need for the day/evening. They are of an absolutely fantastic quality, and they look better after 35 years than when new.

Say THAT about any other case!

I was so sad to know that Mr.Cronkhite was shutting down his shop, and equally happy to hear that TorpedoBags was continuing the production.

I just can't recommend these cases enough.
Bach NY ML 1943 vintage Bb
Very old YTR-6335
Bach/Malone/Lechner C
Malone-Bach 229 C
H.Ganter Bb
Schagerl Wienna (older model) C
Parker Natural
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: