• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Must have 5 posts for security? I Don't get it

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about creating a donation button for the sysadmin?
dhrtzell

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my fifth post. Guess I can sell my horn now.
BayernTpt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could use Facebook or another social media to verify the information, or even phone number.
mavrian22
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah- its a community forum. People generally aren't going to send you thousands for a horn if you're not a known quantity. How hard is it to make a few posts every now and then?
cms

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:25 am    Post subject: Trust and security? Reply with quote

I freely admit that the main reason for registering is because I have some horns and mouthpieces to sell and I want to offer them to a knowledgeable audience. I can understand the desire to feel some sort of trust but I'm not sure the rule means much. Just as I wouldn't sell to anyone I hadn't contacted by phone or Skype, I wouldn't expect anyone to buy from me without that kind of exchange. Both parties being registered is a good start. Beyond that, requiring some number of posts is useless.
Also, if the worry is about trust and security, the site itself could stand improvement. When registering I received an email containing my username and password in plain text. And with the helpful note that it's encrypted in the database. Sending passwords the clear through email, especially when accompanied by username is extremely bad security practice.
g.acupan

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: This is My Fifth Post Reply with quote

Darn, I wish I was as sharp as Dr. Eckhart! Five posts would've been easy.

Selling some nice trumpet Cases pretty soon! Check 'em out!
missplace

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to get my five posts too. I have a bunch of sheet music that I've cleaned out of my library and want to get it to people who will appreciate it.
abrian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed!
Melissa P

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a musician (well at least not a very good one). I inherited a trumpet (Eterna by Getzen Severinsen Model ~1966) and I am wanting to list it in the marketplace for sale. One of the requirements is that I post five times on the forum. I want to do that in a sincere way so I am posting here. Is that okay?
Melissa P

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: I inherited a trumpet Reply with quote

I am not a musician (well at least not a very good one). I inherited a trumpet (Eterna by Getzen Severinsen Model ~1966) and I am wanting to list it in the marketplace for sale. One of the requirements is that I post five times on the forum. I want to do that in a sincere way so I am posting here. Is that okay?
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, your sincere message is that you plan to make no contribution to the community and will be gone after you dump the instrument ?

That's not really going to inspire trust.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
'40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued
sthomas98

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: 5 posts... No problem for scammers Reply with quote

I would say that the 5 post rule can very, very easily be conquered by scammers. I unfortunately have experienced this firsthand. "dmcgee414" recently scammed me into buying a Yamaha mouthpiece that I would never receive, yet he easily had an excess of 15 posts. He even has credentials online, having gone to University of South Carolina's School of Music. His posts even seemed to me like something a real trumpet player and a responsible TH member would post.

So the 5 post rule (no matter how high quality the post) is not enough security when we are spending this kind of money on cases/horns/mouthpieces and whatnot. It can be very easy for any person (even a music school graduate looking to seep some money out of other musicians, in my case) to just post some trumpet pics from Google Images and take your $1500. I was lucky and it was only $30 for me.

So... what sort of reliable security measures could we use to ensure that people using the marketplace will actually do what's right? But at the same time... we want TH to be easily accessible for all these musicians who are not scammers. I would say we should require all transactions to take place on a secure website (not PayPal Friends and Family), and require a phone number that must be confirmed from every member who is looking to engage in the marketplace.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 posts... No problem for scammers Reply with quote

sthomas98 wrote:
So... what sort of reliable security measures could we use to ensure that people using the marketplace will actually do what's right? But at the same time... we want TH to be easily accessible for all these musicians who are not scammers. I would say we should require all transactions to take place on a secure website (not PayPal Friends and Family), and require a phone number that must be confirmed from every member who is looking to engage in the marketplace.

May I ask why you didn't use that in your transaction? If it were me I would flee quickly if someone insisted on using non-guaranteed way of paying for a transaction.
sthomas98

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty,

I had used PayPal friends and family successfully before with the marketplace, and was not aware of the problems that could come from it at the time. I had not realized at the time how scammers tend to use this method, because I had not been scammed on this site before. I will definitely never use that method again though.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are Facebook groups specifically for this kind of thing that are, IMO, a better way to contact more people who might be interested in what you've got to sell than trying to do it here:

Trumpets for Sale/Trade
Trumpet Marketplace

With that in mind, is it that hard to get five posts? I probably (sadly?) make more than 5 posts almost every day I frequent the site. Pretty sure I have more than 5 posts today.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
hannah73

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am moving soon and trying to simply sell my trumpets as fast as I can to people who would appreciate having one. It has surprised me and been a bit of a hold up having to make five posts.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hannah73 wrote:
I am moving soon and trying to simply sell my trumpets as fast as I can to people who would appreciate having one. It has surprised me and been a bit of a hold up having to make five posts.

You can always go to ebay or facebook and reach a wider group. The post limit is there to protect the members of the community.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
Five post with nothing to say (other than "Gee, I need 5 posts) - the likelihood of me purchasing anything from someone like that? Zero.

And that's why it's ineffectual. You can make 5 posts in 5 minutes. I'm sure that really accomplishments a lot.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Crazy Finn wrote:
Five post with nothing to say (other than "Gee, I need 5 posts) - the likelihood of me purchasing anything from someone like that? Zero.

And that's why it's ineffectual. You can make 5 posts in 5 minutes. I'm sure that really accomplishments a lot.

How many automated scam ads have been in the marketplace since the rule was put into effect?

Think of it more as the captcha crap some sites use rather than a character screening and you will see it works.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
kehaulani wrote:
Crazy Finn wrote:

How many automated scam ads have been in the marketplace since the rule was put into effect?

Think of it more as the captcha crap some sites use rather than a character screening and you will see it works.

Yep i think it has done well with the spam bot ads
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: