• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet found in Grandfathers closet, what to do?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WayneG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Trumpet found in Grandfathers closet, what to do? Reply with quote

So I was cleaning out my grandfathers closet to start selling some of his belongings in an estate sale and came across a trumpet in a case. It has the following info I found on it, Vincent Bach Stradivarius, New York, Model 103-59 with a serial number of 4311. From the book that was with it I am assuming it is from the mid to late 1930's. I would like to either donate it to the local school music program or sell it and have the proceeds go to the local school music program. Thoughts would be appreciated and wondering if anyone has an idea of worth ( a range depending on condition) so maybe the school music department can buy a few instruments with the proceeds of the sale if worth a lot.
Again, any thoughts would be appreciated as I am a neophyte when it comes to this subject.
Wayne G
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do NOT donate it to the music program. That's a collectible trumpet and a piece of US musical instrument history and IMO should not be handled or played by anyone who isn't a working pro.

If you feel you must do something with it, you could sell it - New York Bachs will always do well in the player/collector market.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the Bach Loyalist website, that instrument was probably made around 1937-1939. If it's in good condition, it would probably be valuable. Looking at eBay sales, it seems the value might be somewhere around $1700 – $2500, depending on condition.

I suggest you do not donate it to a school for them to issue to a student. If you want to do something like that, you could sell it to a collector who would take proper care of it while you donate the proceeds to a school.
Piccolo Stomvi
MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could donate it to me - I'll make sure it gets played.
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll take that old relic off of your hands for $50 bucks
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
WayneG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrickG and dstdenis, thank you for your input. You both pretty much confirmed what I was thinking of doing. I am planning on selling it but first stopping by a music shop that is a Conn-Selmer or Bach seller. I'll have them check it over though it looks to be in good shape from my eyes. I will then donate the proceeds to local school music program where they can use the $ to enhance their current program. Not sure how or when I'll be selling it yet, if any suggestions on where might be a good venue to do so it would be greatly appreciated. I do have an EBay account but their fees are outrageous and I'd rather give more to the school.
Again thanks, WayneG
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many shops sell on consignment too. They don't have to buy it outright, so they don't have to dicker you down so much; all they risk is the shelf space for the horn. Typically they get 25% or 30% of what it sells for.
brianj
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WayneG wrote:
TrickG and dstdenis, thank you for your input. You both pretty much confirmed what I was thinking of doing. I am planning on selling it but first stopping by a music shop that is a Conn-Selmer or Bach seller. I'll have them check it over though it looks to be in good shape from my eyes. I will then donate the proceeds to local school music program where they can use the $ to enhance their current program. Not sure how or when I'll be selling it yet, if any suggestions on where might be a good venue to do so it would be greatly appreciated. I do have an EBay account but their fees are outrageous and I'd rather give more to the school.
Again thanks, WayneG

Hi Wayne

No slight on any local store you have there in Arizona but thankfully due to the times we live in I’m sure you have access to a decent phone camera and can email the pics.

Like someone pointed out earlier this Bach you have is very collectible so why not send some pics to Josh Landress, Steve Dillard, Dillon’s, Trent Austin etc etc etc

I’m sure there are lots of folk out there that would like your trumpet and it will make a very decent price.

All the best

brian jones
brianj
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted double post

Last edited by brianj on Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echoing some other comments: absolutely do not donate it to a school music program, if it ends up in the hands of a student, it will be wasted; the vast majority of kids don't yet play at a level where they could appreciate it, and it also would probably end up damaged. If you want to sell it and donate the funds to a school music program, that's totally different.

I also would probably skip your local music store entirely, though I don't know who they are. The majority of local stores cater to students and student level instruments, the LAST thing you want is some guy who bangs out dents and cleans kids' lunches out of student horns messing with what you probably have there.

If you post some pics here you'll probably get some accurate opinions on it's approximate value.

Brad
WayneG

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Echoing some other comments: absolutely do not donate it to a school music program, if it ends up in the hands of a student, it will be wasted; the vast majority of kids don't yet play at a level where they could appreciate it, and it also would probably end up damaged. If you want to sell it and donate the funds to a school music program, that's totally different.

I also would probably skip your local music store entirely, though I don't know who they are. The majority of local stores cater to students and student level instruments, the LAST thing you want is some guy who bangs out dents and cleans kids' lunches out of student horns messing with what you probably have there.

If you post some pics here you'll probably get some accurate opinions on it's approximate value.

Brad

Thanks Brad361 for your input. I was going to try and figure out how to post pics here but don't see anyway to attach them, any ideas?
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WayneG wrote:
Brad361 wrote:

Brad

Thanks Brad361 for your input. I was going to try and figure out how to post pics here but don't see anyway to attach them, any ideas?

Yes, you have to post them first to a third party image host like Photobucket.

Also, so there's no misunderstanding, selling the horn and donating the proceeds to a school is a very nice idea, I would just not simply donate the horn to a school, for the reasons I mentioned.

Brad
WayneG

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
WayneG wrote:
Brad361 wrote:

Brad

Yes, you have to post them first to a third party image host like Photobucket.

Also, so there's no misunderstanding, selling the horn and donating the proceeds to a school is a very nice idea, I would just not simply donate the horn to a school, for the reasons I mentioned.

Brad
WayneG

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photos of trumpet

Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Regarding the post above, what is going on with Photobucket.

I have a Photobucket account, and have received an email saying that I have to pay a subscription to continue using my account, because I have previously used my account for third party posting, which would only have been posting photos on this forum?

Since I have no other use for photobucket, I've let my account remain dormant.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WayneG wrote:
Not sure how or when I'll be selling it yet, if any suggestions on where might be a good venue to do so it would be greatly appreciated. I do have an EBay account but their fees are outrageous and I'd rather give more to the school.

A few options:
1. eBay
2. The TrumpetHerald Marketplace here
3. CraigsList
4. A reputable dealer who has an online presence (Brian listed several good ones. I'd add Quinn the Eskimo, a vintage dealer with an eBay store, and Rich Ita's Brass Instrument Workshop to that list.)

You might take a haircut on net proceeds with some of these channels, but it might be worth it if you are eager to sell it quickly.

I haven't had much luck with consignment sales. Since the dealer doesn't have any money invested in the instrument, s/he has little incentive to negotiate in earnest. It's just more bait for them to lure someone into their store, where they'll try to sell your horn at the highest possible price or redirect customers to other horns in stock, for which they would negotiate more aggressively because they have money tied up in them. Also, the instrument can get banged up by would-be customers playing it for fun with no serious intention of buying it. (Ask me how I know these things... ) And if the instrument did sell, the consignment fee could be more than eBay and escrow fees would have been.
Piccolo Stomvi
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WayneG, Photobucket is self-destructing at the present time and will not link pictures to sites like this unless you pay them an exorbitant fee.

Load your pictures to a free site like ImgBB and repost your pics here (and anywhere else you choose).
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
WayneG, Photobucket is self-destructing at the present time and will not link pictures to sites like this unless you pay them an exorbitant fee.

Load your pictures to a free site like ImgBB and repost your pics here (and anywhere else you choose).

Hi Dale

Although addressed to WayneG rather than in response to my previous post (quoted below), thank you very much for this.

I received an email from Photobucket asking me to pay a subscription and I ignored it, as I've only used it to post images on here.

I've opened an account with ImgBB, and since I am in the middle of sorting out the photos on my pc, I think that I will upload them there.

Thanks very much again

Lou

Louise Finch wrote:
Hi

Regarding the post above, what is going on with Photobucket.

I have a Photobucket account, and have received an email saying that I have to pay a subscription to continue using my account, because I have previously used my account for third party posting, which would only have been posting photos on this forum?

Since I have no other use for photobucket, I've let my account remain dormant.

All the best

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Big Phat Jan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imgur is another good option. I've taken the liberty of re-hosting your photos there Wayne, if you disapprove happy to remove them.

Album link
WayneG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Big Phat Jan, I appreciate you reposting the pics for me. I signed up for imgur and I will also be signing up for imgBB to post in the future.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: