• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

CG Mouthpiece Alternatives

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:40 am    Post subject: CG Mouthpiece Alternatives Reply with quote

Hey All you CG'ers

I just wanted to let you all know that I got a bunch of James New's R5 mouthpieces today, which is Jim's version of the Del Steiger style rim.

If at any point you have said to yourself "I like this CG Personal/CG3 but"
- It's the wrong diameter
- It's the wrong depth for the playing I do
- It's the wrong sound
- It's too open

You may want to check out these.

The R5 is very close to the same diameter as the Marcink. CG Personal I have. It feels very slightly wider in diameter because the rim is a tiny bit wider/more cushioned, but they are close enough that it doesn't bother me moving between them, and the rim feel is very similar. Not exactly the same, but again, close enough that I don't think anyone will be bothered by it.

So if you want a CG in a different diameter, you can grab an R[Whatever Diameter]D on his P backbore and put a #20 or #22 throat in it. (Jim doesn't charge for the throat alterations.)

If you want a Marcink CG Personal, but with a shallower cup or different throat or backbore, then get the R5 with whatever cup, throat and backbore you want.

Be aware that the mouthpieces come in a bach-style blank like the rest of James's line, so there's some extra weight to the blank which does change the sound a bit. The tone is a little bit weightier/more focused than the CG.

If you prefer a Shallow cup, the MS is a very comfortable depth, and would probably put it in the Schilke B cup territory.

If you want a CG Personal that's just a little shallower, go for the MD cup. I personally really like this cup.

One thing to note is that all of the cups appear to be modified V cups except perhaps the S cup, which feels pretty bowl-shaped. Even the S cup does have plenty of room at the top of the cup, so I highly doubt anyone would manage to bottom out on it, but I prefer the MS.

Personally, I bought them as tops with standard #27 throats, because I have a few different trumpets with very different blows and I wanted to be able to pair them up with a backbore that suits each.

Anyway, point being, if you're looking for an alternative to the Marcink. CGs without going custom, then James New is a good way to go!
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I just want to clarify. I think the R5 is actually a little wider than the Marcink. CG Personal. It's pretty much a 3C. I think the CG Personal is probably somewhere around a 7 but the high point on the rim makes it feel like something in between a 3 and a 7.

So you may want to try the R4 which I think is Jim's 7 diameter.

World is your oyster!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: