• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Embouchure High Range Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willBoland

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Embouchure High Range Questions Reply with quote

Hi, I'm a current senior in high school. With my normal embouchure, I can play up to an A above staff. I used to be able to play a C above staff but not often. I have discovered if I move my mouthpiece lower onto my bottom lip, I can play, with good tone, up to a G above high C. It basically added an entire octave with good tone. Except then my low range sounds bad (but could be worked on over time). So should I adjust to use the new embouchure or keep my old one?
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Embouchure High Range Questions Reply with quote

willBoland wrote:
Hi, I'm a current senior in high school. With my normal embouchure, I can play up to an A above staff. I used to be able to play a C above staff but not often. I have discovered if I move my mouthpiece lower onto my bottom lip, I can play, with good tone, up to a G above high C. It basically added an entire octave with good tone. Except then my low range sounds bad (but could be worked on over time). So should I adjust to use the new embouchure or keep my old one?

I like your question. But remember,

You're approaching this circumstance from a 2 dimensional framework. The amount of lip within the mouthpiece is probably less important than the amount of upper lip you unintentionally dragged down below your upper teeth. I'd bet 500 bucks that us what you did.

You see the upper and lower teeth make up the 3rd dimension of the equation. If you only look at the mouthpiece? Its like trying to hold books on the shelf with just one bookend.

Roy Stevens spoke of the "Two aperture concept"
We all know of the lip aperture. As this is what's visible. Its what we feel get tired as we play longer sessions. But almost no one speaks of the teeth aperture

From my experience? Once you fix the teeth and lip aperture to work as a functioning unit? You'll soat to a consistent high G that is well connected with the lower register. Then work a little longer? And even more range develops. Feel free to contact me via p/m for more details. Best, Lionel.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know whether you are shifting from a downstream (air blows down) to an upstream (air blows up) embouchure? That would probably mean you were shifting from more than half the mpc on the upper lip to more than half the mpc on the lower lip. Is this the case? Or are you first with more mpc on the upper lip and still with more than half on the upper lip after the shift?
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
take2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you also moving the mp lower on the top lip? Or are you just rolling your bottom lip more over your bottom teeth so the mp is lower on the bottom lip?
willBoland

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject: MP Reply with quote

All I do is move the mouthpiece down farther onto my bottom lip so it is more on bottom than top lip. That is it.
take2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So your lips are closer together and you are creating more compression. That will make the higher notes easier.

What does your teacher say about it?
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your description the indication is that your "normal" mouthpiece placement facilitates lip vibration in the lower register but impedes lip vibration once you reach A above the staff and that your "new" mouthpiece placement impedes lip vibration in the lower register but facilitates lip vibration above A above the staff. So, your "new" mouthpiece placement adds something but subtracts something as well. Why is that?

Through most of the range of the trumpet the lower lip vibrating is not contributing to the sound. The lower lip vibrating contributes to the sound only in the lower register. From this we can surmise that your "new" mouthpiece placement facilitates upper lip vibration but compromises lower lip vibration.

One factor which could be involved is the balance of mouthpiece pressure between the upper and lower lip. If your "new" mouthpiece placement shifts more pressure to your lower lip this could be a factor.

Lionel mentioned the idea that your "new" mouthpiece placement could be re-positioning your upper lip so that more upper lip is positioned below the cutting edge of your upper teeth. The concept here is that with your "normal" mouthpiece positioning you're pinning your upper lip to your upper teeth, making it more difficult for your upper lip to vibrate to produce notes above A above the staff but with your "new" mouthpiece placement you're freeing up a portion of your upper lip so that more of your upper lip is clear of being pinned against your upper teeth. That's a valid consideration and consistent with an analysis of what's happening with your upper register. It has less validity to what's happening with your lower register.

You report that all you're doing is positioning the mouthpiece lower on your embouchure. This may be your impression but your impression is not necessarily accurate. Different things can happen with even a tiny change in the lip vs. teeth positioning and it can be very difficult to know for certain whether and to what extent such tiny changes have taken place.

Dave Hickman posts on this site. Dave is the moderator of the Rafael Mendez forum here. I met Dave when he was in high school. We attended a summer music program together and were in the same group of three taking a group lesson from Prof. Dennis Schneider (the other player was Don Gorder - Don teaches at Berklee today). I recall that at that time Dave had a problem with the lower register. He had a lot of problems below low C. Today, Dave is an unbelievable player and a recognized authority on the mechanics of playing trumpet.

Obviously, Dave fixed whatever was wrong with his lower register. I suggest that you PM Dave, explain what's going on, tell him what I've told you about my experience with him as a high school player and ask him how he fixed his lower register while still maintaining his upper register. Certainly he can shed some light on what's likely to be going on with you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: