• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

+40

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
airdyn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: +40 Reply with quote

I need a copy of +40. Let me know.
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure I have this, Dave. I'm out-of-town at the moment, but later tonight I'll see if I can track one down for you. I may even have it scanned as a PDF.
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: +40 Reply with quote

airdyn wrote:
I need a copy of +40. Let me know.

Check your gmail, Dave.
take2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'm curious. What is +40?
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Fellas,

Johnny Hodges my good friend and great player just sent me a copy of the 40+.

Thanks to everybody and especially our "leader" Dave Sheetz and his Wife for coming immediately to my rescue.

Happy Thanks giving everybody,

Chris
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

take2 wrote:
Ok, I'm curious. What is +40?

Back in the early 90s, Dave Sheetz had all of the boxes and boxes of those colored pages, the handouts that Doc Reinhardt used to give out for various, specific correctional procedures.

For awhile Dave offered the 40+ Routines at a nominal fee to past (and present) Reinhardt students. Dave ran out of the original colored sheets and began using some photocopies after awhile, and I know that I have an original set somewhere but couldn't find it. So I scanned the closest thing I could find and sent it to Dave via Dropbox.

This 40+ is basically useless to anybody who is not a Reinhardt student or is not studying with a Reinhardt-taught or Reinhardt-oriented teacher.

By the way, Johnny Hodges works just across the TN state line from us. My buddy Mike Wyatt subs for him on a show at the Smoky Mountain Opry in Pigeon Forge. Mike tells me that Johnny is a total monster, and now I'm less surprised to hear that, since Chris has reported that he is a Reinhardt student.

kungfuhorn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All!

Thanks for the kind words Rich. I keep meaning to get over and try to hang with you, especially since my Mother-in-law lives in Hendersonville. Mike is an amazing player and he is such a pro. Loved having him come him!

Chris helped me with a couple things that I had been struggling with over the years. Since I was playing the Big Apple Circus at the time, the schedule and music was pretty tough and you couldn't really afford to have issues. lol. Chris introduced me to the wonders of Reinhardt and I have never looked back. He is an amazing teacher and good friend... and one of the scariest overall trumpet players I know! Chris really laid it all out in black an white. So many things that I had heard suddenly made perfect sense to me.I had bought the encyclopedia quite awhile back and tried to get through it with some progress but as you guys know, without someone that really KNOWS their stuff, it can be hard. On the flip side I can say without question that when Chris was kind enough to help me out and show me the Gospel...lol...I understood right then that WITH a true Reinhardt teacher, just about anything is possible with practice and diligence.

I remember playing a gig with Chris one night in FL and he played probably the most gorgeous lyrical solo over Round Midnight I had ever heard. Ended on a Dub C# that rang for a decade in that room. lol. Good times.

Anyway... thanks again for the kind words Rich. I love your material and playing bro. It is a true testament to Doc that everyone here is so willing to help each other and anyone that chimes in with questions. That's the way it SUPPOSED to be. Not always like that in other places or other forums.
Reinhardt Rules! lol

Johnny H
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thank YOU, Johnny! I clicked on your username here and found a youtube clip you had posted awhile back and want to share that with the Reinhardt community:

Link

Also, when that was finished, I got to listen to this great old track again:

Link

Charlie Parker tore it up!

Anyway Johnny, I have heard nothing but great things about your playing from Mike Wyatt and hope that we get to work together sometime as well.

It sure sounds like Chris helped you find "the answer" when you studied with him!

Thanks for posting, Johnny!
kungfuhorn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awww! Thanks Rich!

By the way... if anyone is wondering...Chris helped me get control of my aperture. Just like many IIIA's, I tended to "fall in love with my sound" in the middle register and lower register. By the time I would try to play anything upstairs my aperture was so spread and out of shape from playing too loud down there that it was impossible to play in the upper register the way I should have been able to. Classic problem for us IIIAs's. Chris explained everything to me and worked with me to get my head straight and really understand the mechanics.

I am serious when I say that I don't think anything could be more valuable to a pro than really understanding how your face works, because when things go south you can usually manage to get a handle on things and get back on track or at least get through the gig in a way that is acceptable. What could possibly be more valuable than having a chop tool kit in your head? That is why I swear by Reinhardt... you learn what to do but you ALSO learn WHY it works that way conceptually. I am not throwing any other system under the bus. But I am saying for me... this is the best thing I could have ever been exposed to. I still try to learn every day and believe me when I say... I am not above calling Chris and saying.."help me, bro!" hahah!

I personally love Doc's teaching because it gives me a way to understand myself and further my playing in a way unlike anything else I have ever discovered. That was Doc's gift to all of us.
By the way....I played with Gabe Osborne at the Opry for awhile. He spoke so highly of Doug Elliot and his teaching. Just reinforced what I already thought. Reinhardt teachers are awesome.
I will be posting a few more tunes on YouTube over the next few weeks.
Rich....let's try to get together soon! I want to pick your brain about some changes....lol. And have some good food of course!

Johnny H
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: