• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Arban vs Clarke

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: Clarke Reply with quote

omicron wrote:
Frasse wrote:

Note: I havent seen the Clarke book, as I would have to walk 200 km to get to the nearest trumpet-store to look at it.

2) William Vacchiano published a "Trumpet Routines" book (I think it's published by Charles Colin) almost 20 years ago. The book has ten practice rountine in increasing difficulty. The beauty is that each routine includes lip flexibility, scales, multiple tonguing, intervals, appregios, and finger studies, etc. Each one takes about 20-30 minutes and you cover just about everything you need to do to maintain and/or develop your technique. Some of the exercises are based on famous orchestral solo passages.

I bought this book because of your post. It's not really what I expected and I'm not sure how to use it. I can play the book so, it's not like I'm working to learn it. Do I start on number 1 and play it for a while and then go to number two and so on or just pick one and do it every day? The note in the front talks about transposing. That's not at all what I was looking for. Any help?
homecookin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the responses that people have posted so far have been very good suggestions and very helpful.
There is a wealth of material out there concerning method books for trumpet. Of course, the Arban book is THE book that that every serious trumpet player should have in his library, whether he is a student or a professional. I am of the opinion,that it's not necessarily how many books you have but what you do with the books that you do have.
For many years there was a lead trumpet player around town, who has since passed away, but he was an amazing lead trumpet player. He was the kind of guy that you could go to his house at 4:00 a.m. in the morning and wake him up and hand him his TRUMPET, and he'd pop you a DOUBLE C and then go back to sleep.
He had worked with the Dorsey band, The Glenn Miller band, and other bands back in the day. He was a first call lead trumpet player around town for years. I used to go to his house sometimes on Sunday afternoon and one day I saw a very old and tattered Arban book on his music stand in his practice studio. That Arban book was the only trumpet method book he ever owned in his entire life. He never owned a Schlossberg book or a Clarke book.
He told me when he was a kid growing up in East Texas he used to sit out in his parent's barn, and practice the Arban book all day. When his chops were tired he would rest and he would clean out the barn, and then he would continue practicing . The moral of the story is not how many books you have, but what you do with the ones that you do have.
I personally use the Arban and Schlossberg books way more than I do the Clarke, for practicing fundamentals.
I also use Walter Smith Top Tones for etudes in addition to the Arban Characteristic Studies.
As stated earlier, all of the books that everyone has mentioned in the previous posts are excellent books.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: