• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Keeping it simple

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:36 am    Post subject: Keeping it simple Reply with quote

For those of you who this idea helps? Great. If it seems contrary to your path? So be it. The ideas might not be applicable to you.

Then again as we progress in embouchure/wind development? Our chops evolve into a different trumpet player. Thus the mouthpiece which wouldnt work for you a couple years ago? Might be a fantastic improvement this year. Or next year. I'm definitely not the same trumpet player. As seen in my mother's family pictures. In fact am much different from 30 years ago. Back when I puckered excessively and used lots of arm pressure. Hey? It worked. Got me more gigs that the guy who couldnt play above high C.

Keeping it simple: if yoy can derive some support from a shallower mouthpiece? Then by all means use it. A mouthpiece never gets tired. If the sound is too edgy?. I like to bore my own throats out to between a #16 to a #22. Your local hardware store sells a selection of "Irwin" bits. I bought all sizes from 16 up to 28. 16 being the widest. We're in flugel horn territory here. Owning all these sizes of bits was illuminating. Taught me much. I had thought my classical trumpet piece which is similar in depth to a 3C was around a 27. In fact it was a #24.

28 is as small of a throat as most manufacturers make. Although Terry Warburton claimed in an interview that he's made a #30 throat for a classical player and he loved it.

A standard right angle drill can bore the throat.

A Dremel tool can alter the back bore. Granted your first few attempts will likely be jagged. And at first you'll probably screw up the transition from the bottom of the cup to the throat. That and make the throat too long. Potentionally causing intonation problems.

However the sound you can get with say the very shallow Schilke 6a but put on a #22 throat is very fat in the middle and lower registers. You can now tell Warburton or Kanstul to "open up a Schilke 6 to a #22 throat and corresponding back bore. Get something you really like and then have the pros fine tune and duplicate it.

Now with your "scream piece"? Practice Clarke studies. Connect your upper register well to the low with Clarke Etude V. And use miscellaneous exercises in Clarke and elsewhere.

Fake books up an octave is a great idea. I like the long tones of "Girl From Impanema" Realy gets me in shape for lead playing in a big band. As most first chair, big band material isnt about playing double C. Mostly its being able to 'cruise' at G top of the staff to the E above high C. Often I find people trying out for the lead book but faltering on the mere tuning note as they tire.

Invariably these guys are using fairly large pieces like Bach 3C. And that is a fine mouthpiece for those whom it works well for. And I do know some strong players who use 3C. However I long ago decided that so long as I liked the sound of any really shallow piece I found? That I would stay with it until something else better came along.

And then sometimes there are gigs which completely exhaust a trumpet section. I remember a New Years Eve like this on 2011. We were supposed to play three sets of 40 mins each. We ended up blowing four sets of 50 mins each. I was on lead. By the final set the other three guys couldnt get out of the staff. But I still had my high C anyway.

Today through continued practice and minor mouthiece adjustments my high F stays good through the whole night. An its only been through applying common sense with mouthpiece modifications which has cured things up. With practice a trumpet player who formerly could only squeak a high F on his 3C mouthpiece?

Can probably hammer it on something in the Schilke "a" series cup depths. And that's the name of the game for lead playing.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
burnhamd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Awesome Reply with quote

Lionel,
Excellent analysis, loved it,
Dan
MF Holton LT-306
MF Holton ST-307
Cheap Flugel
www.danburnham.com
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Awesome Reply with quote

burnhamd wrote:
Lionel,
Excellent analysis, loved it,
Dan

Thank you very much Dan. Greenfield huh? Say hello to Hickok45 for me if ever you see him lol.

Didnt mean to be nosy but I looked the town up on wiki. As long ago I used to travel through Tennessee while being a road musician. Always thought that it would be cool to get a 5 acre parcel in TN. Just build a cabin. And this was before I started collecting guns lol. But so i digress. Back to topic!

Whenever posting a matter of "how to" I will try and make it a "this is how I do it" instead. Just because my idea may not fit the next guy.

I had a fine classical trumpet teacher once who had never once missed the three high A's in the Brandenburg No II. And he told me he "couldnt play anything smaller than a 3C". He further went on to tell me that he'd once mislaid his highly valued 3C Star by Tottle in Boston. So he borrowed a 7C and it really messed with his playing. Said it took him a week or two to recover. His chops feeling all cramped afterwards.

There again however his change to a slightly smaller piece was forced on him. I would bet that had his switch been voluntary and done in graduated states? He could have pulled it off without temporarily damaging his chops. And he was or is a beautiful player.

There again though, he didnt play my gig. While his A above high C is probably as much as any decent lead player in a big band ever needs the classical guy only needs to get a small piece of his high notes. Meanwhile a big band trumpet player must play louder in general. Esp the 1st chair . When asked why I use such a shallow mouthpiece I tell those friends around me that I dont want my register to decay throughout the night's performance very much.

If I start with my high A and B flat working during set one but by the end of set three Ive only got a third ledger line high F? Well heck that's a winning night.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: