• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What's the LOTTOLUBE Magic #? (Lifetime supply of valve oil)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevecass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: What's the LOTTOLUBE Magic #? (Lifetime supply of valve oil) Reply with quote

Hey everyone. Just doing some research... Your input would be obviously the most helpful and is appreciated. But first... please take care of yourselves down there in Texas and anyone in Harvey's path!

I am trying to find out an estimate of what would be a lifetime's supply of valve oil? If you hit the LOTTOLUBE what would you expect it's $value be? In ounces.

I understand there are so many different brands these days including a few home brews and how much you use may or may not be depending on the brand and the brand of the instrument used and other variables such as how many hours a day and days per week do you play, so it would be most interesting.

I put together some questions and if you would like to add what you think would be good information, I may have left out important points, please feel free!

Thanks in advance for your help!

1. How many hours a day do you perform & or practice, on average?
2. How many days a week do you perform & or practice, on average?
3. How many times do you lube your instrument per week?
4. A. How many ounces of oil do you use in a month?
B. Do you use different oils on different instruments?
C. How many different instruments?
D. How many different lubricants?
5. Optional but very helpful.
A. What brand do you use?
M. What brand and age is your instrument? (that you use with this oil)
6. Your monthly cost for valve oil?
7. Do you jump brands or stay with one?
8. If you jump brands, is it because you couldn't find your brand
or was it the price of another that told you to give it a chance?
Did someone give you a bottle of a different brand?
9. Do you have a favorite player(s)?
10. Favorite player name(s)?
11. a. If you had a lifetime's supply, (the estimate in question 12), would you stash it and savor it, keep it and use it liberally, give it away, sell it or use it up on something else?
11 b. (optional if you said "else" in 11a) what is "else"?
12 How many ounces of valve oil do you think you would need in your life time?
13. (Optional) How did you come to use the oil/lube you now use? (for example: It came with the horn/Your teacher recommended/A friend/A favorite player uses it/The manufacture recommends it/You like the way the bottle looks/An Advertisement etc)

My apologies for asking so many questions, I can assure you it started out much simpler. Any input will be helpful.
superviking805
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I use more lube than my peers and estimate my yearly consumption to be >4oz.
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably 6 to 8 ounces a year for me
pepperdean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the late 60's, I used to buy oil by the case from your dad. No more 10-12 hour days but I still use a bunch. It costs a lot more now but most of the synthetics seem to hold up longer. It would probably take a long time to come up with an accurate answer to your question.

Maybe it would be easier to ask, on average, how many bottles we each buy every year. For me, the answer would be around six.

Alan
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Order a gallon of original AL Cass from Steve Cass for fifty bucks. Leave it in your will for someone else. .
stevecass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uberopa wrote:
Order a gallon of original AL Cass from Steve Cass for fifty bucks. Leave it in your will for someone else. .

I forget... did that include delivery? So, it's safe to say a gallon will do it then!? lol

Last edited by stevecass on Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
stevecass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperdean wrote:
In the late 60's, I used to buy oil by the case from your dad. No more 10-12 hour days but I still use a bunch. It costs a lot more now but most of the synthetics seem to hold up longer. It would probably take a long time to come up with an accurate answer to your question.

Maybe it would be easier to ask, on average, how many bottles we each buy every year. For me, the answer would be around six.

Alan

I have heard some folks say the oil doesn't last long. One famous player years ago called and said he just wanted to tell me how "he's back", after trying a synthetic. The way he explained it was, though the synthetic lasted a long time, he said the more he put on his valves to get it to the point where it was "FAST", the more he applied, the more sluggish it became as opposed to my father's who he said the more he applied, the faster it got, so he was back. There are some drawbacks as to cost and how long it lasts. But if that's ever a problem, you should contact me and we'll take care of that fast! lol Taking Diz into consideration, since he's the one who requested my father make it, it was designed for speed, not longevity. I don't think "how long it lasted" ever entered into the mix.

So...Right! On Average. I guess I did go overboard a bit on the questions, just trying to do the math trying to figure out how much to include if I do some "lifetime oil supply giveaways". I just don't want to give away LIFETIME SUPPLIES and not have it actually last your life.

Again, if anyone is in the area and wants to stop by, I will fill you up. (By appointment only!) Just bring a container and you won't have to worry about the costs and how long it lasts anymore. (I am not talking about bring your bottle with you, more like a jug. If you don't have one, I might be able to supply one for you.) Just don't stop at the factory, they will look at you like your nuts.(In case you didn't know, I no longer work there.) Email me and tell me you read about this on the TH and your in and I will supply the address. (MILFORD, MA. USA) Some guys actually stop by and fill up and then put it in their own bottles and sell them! It's a one time thing, not monthly! If you are associated with a school or teach and need a little extra, just say so. The deal is, you can't re-sell. Your on your honor!

Thanks again for your help!
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think so to the U.S. I drove across the border to pick it up. Nice 30 min. drive.
I made the mistake of revealing my purchase to my big band and community band friends. You have no idea how many complimentary refills I have had to make. As for the oil not lasting, I can assure folks that it lasts as long and works as well as any of the very pricey synthetics I have like Hettman's, Yamaha all 3 weights, Wick and Ultra pure.
May have to put an addendum to my will so the balance can be passed on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: