• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Darn FedEx (formerly Kinkos)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Darn FedEx (formerly Kinkos) Reply with quote

I was using my Arbans today and decided to finally have it rebound or drilled to make it more manageable.

Since Kinkos used to do this I went to the FedEx store that used to be Kinkos and they confirmed they could drill holes for a three ring binder. I looked at other binding options but decided they would tear over time.

So the guy goes off and drills the holes. I notice that after the first drilling he checked it and then put it back in the press a second time. He returns it and I inspect the work.

The first thing I notice is that the three holes aren't spaced evenly. Then I notice that his first drilling had the book slightly skewed so that the top hole was closer to the binding than the bottom.

So now the top hole is oblong. The middle slightly oblong, but also too far up by about the diameter of the holes. This means that re-drilling the middle hole will create a double wide hole, weakening the edge.

So frustrating and nothing I can do now, except ask for my money back.
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were the holes drilled into the printed area? Were any of the printed notes drilled away?

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grits Burgh wrote:
Were the holes drilled into the printed area? Were any of the printed notes drilled away?

Warm regards,
Grits

Nope. I had the sense to check the margins and make sure he drilled the holes in the blank area. The available margin on the book was 5/8".
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post. My local Office Max wouldn't drill holes in my Arban. They said that the holes would have to be in the printed area because they would have to cut so much off of the binding. I kind of suspected that they just didn't want to be bothered.

I'll try my local FedEx/Kinkos.

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't ask them to do anything with the binding so that didn't enter into the discussion.

I have the "Authentic Edition" from Carl Fisher. The page size is larger than the 8 1/2 x 11 page that the binders are designed for so it would need a special three ring binder.
jazzman99
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
I didn't ask them to do anything with the binding so that didn't enter into the discussion.

I have the "Authentic Edition" from Carl Fisher. The page size is larger than the 8 1/2 x 11 page that the binders are designed for so it would need a special three ring binder.

Ah, I was going to suggest "binder-izing" it, but with the large page size maybe not. My old Arbans has seen better days, so I purchased a new one and put it into binder form. The only problem is that a normal stand won't hold it up because of the weight of it.
Jupiter 1700R Piccolo W/ Yamaha Allen Vizzutti MP
Kanstul 1525 w/ Flip Oakes Wild Thing Extreme #1.25
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzman99 wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:

Ah, I was going to suggest "binder-izing" it, but with the large page size maybe not. My old Arbans has seen better days, so I purchased a new one and put it into binder form. The only problem is that a normal stand won't hold it up because of the weight of it.

That was why I wanted it drilled. I planned on splitting it into multiple books. But now I won't.
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my trumpet instructors took my Arban book to a copy shop and had it cut and punched for a big comb binder. He even had the top and bottom covers laminated.

Thanks Bruce (Haag)!

It still works great quite a few years later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: