• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumcor Cup Mutes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Trumcor Cup Mutes Reply with quote

Hello all,

Anyone know of any videos or recordings where Trumcor Classical Adjustable Cup Mutes are used? I've read the company promo and some brief testimonies, but I am unable to locate any recording anywhere of anyone playing this mute. Any major symphony players use it? How about in the jazz world?

I ask because I am looking at ordering one and because no one locally has them, I can't test it first.

Thanks!

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent tried the Trumcor but found this

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=866148

It seems the Trumcor is a distinct and unique sound and may not be to your taste
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That thread is discussing the non-adjustable TrumCor cup mute (which I think was the only one available at the time). The adjustable cup is a completely different beast. (Looking at the pictures on their website, I'm not sure the old design even exists any more -- I don't remember it having the material inside the cup that the "classical cup" has.)
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Trumcor adjustable cup mute. It's a nice mute for solo playing, but I can't use it while playing with a section of players using other cup mutes. It's softer, with less edge, so it doesn't blend and balance very well.

I use an H&B cup for jazz band and a Wick adjustable cup for concert band and pit orchestras because these balance with the sound and volume of the other trumpeters/mutes in the section.
Piccolo Stomvi
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys.

I have four H&B cups from different eras, a Wick, a Robinson and three Shastock cup mutes of different eras. Each mute, even within the same model, has a different sound. Just looking to see if it's worth adding the Trumcor to my lineup.

Does it sound anything like a Soulo cup?

-Bruce Lee
Klastos

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both the Soulo and Trumcor cups, among many others. The Trumcor has the most responsive close cup sound, which I really like. However, it plays very flat, flatter than any other mute I have played, by a good margin. The cup is also rather delicate and prone to being shaken out of position. So, I don't play it much. I tried recorking it several times, with no improvement to the intonation.

The Soulo is a great mute. The sound isn't quite what I would ultimately like (it is slightly duller than the Trumcor), but the intonation and playability/usability are absolutely great. I use this mute.

But, all that said, since most of my playing is with other trumpet players, it is the Humes and Berg that gets used 90% of the time, and a Wick about 5% of the time. The Shastock, Ray Robinson and Soulo are fun, but rarely useful. I should say though, that the Soulo makes a great plunger mute (in the style of Snooky Young).
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that.

I haven't heard any recordings of the Soulo cup that I was thrilled about. It doesn't sound like what I would expect a cup to be - it sounded hollow like a cup should, but also dead. But based on your description, I may not like the Trumcor either. I only need 1/4" pull on my main slide (it has a rounded crook, so it's longer by design), so I don't think I would be able to play in tune with it.

I agree on the Shastock and Robinson mutes. They are actually my favorite mellow cup sounds, but so few people (around here) have them they don't really get used except for solos.

-Bruce Lee
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard the Vanguard Jazz Orchestra at the Village Vanguard a few weeks ago. All the trumpets and trombones used the basic red and white Humes & Berg cup mutes. I think that speaks volumes about what your go-to cup mute should be, at least for section playing.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
I heard the Vanguard Jazz Orchestra at the Village Vanguard a few weeks ago. All the trumpets and trombones used the basic red and white Humes & Berg cup mutes. I think that speaks volumes about what your go-to cup mute should be, at least for section playing.

I couldn't agree more. And that's why I have four of them: a newer one from about 2005, two from the early post-Chicago era (label seems to be painted on) and just recently got one from the Chicago era. They all sound different but still have that definitive cup sound.

I do commonly run into Wick adjustable cups when playing in an orchestra setting.

But, I've also done a lot of pit work for musical theater and found that a wide array of mutes of the same type can be used to good effect depending on the tunes.

This is why I was interested in the Trumcor - another tool for the arsenal.

-Bruce Lee
lakejw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just talking with a fellow trumpeter last night about the Trumcor Classical Cup. For a long time it's been my personal favorite cup mute...in my practice room. On a gig it's a different story. The sound is very soft and warm. I haven't had any intonation or fitting issues that other posters have mentioned.

The trouble is that on any large ensemble gig, it's typically a race to the bottom in terms of brightness. If the guy next to you has a Stonelined or a Wick, and you're on a Trumcor, you're not going to cut compared to him. So everybody has to default to the brighter sounding mute. Same goes for harmons.

Vanguard uses H&B. LCJO uses Ray Robinson. Most of the 'older' big bands in NY use the Robinson. I have both and prefer the Robinson. BUT...the H&B Mic-A-Mute is a great compromise between the two, at a price that won't break the bank. Just make sure to remove the rubber ring.

Back to the Trumcor...it's a lovely mute with a deep, rich sound, great to have in the arsenal, particularly if you're a cup fanatic. It works great for society & restaurant small group gigs, or perhaps in a recording, or for an intimate trad jazz gig. I really enjoy practicing on it.

johnlakejazz.com
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use both the Trumcor Bb and Eb Classic Cup Mute. If others are playing different brands I can usually match them by extending the cup. BTW has anybody tried the adjustable aluminum cup mute?
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lakejw wrote:
I was just talking with a fellow trumpeter last night about the Trumcor Classical Cup. For a long time it's been my personal favorite cup mute...in my practice room. On a gig it's a different story. The sound is very soft and warm. I haven't had any intonation or fitting issues that other posters have mentioned.

That's my experience too. I did have to file the corks like crazy to make it fit and play in tune. The stock corks are enormous so it can be used on trumpets with open bell throats.

lakejw wrote:
The trouble is that on any large ensemble gig, it's typically a race to the bottom in terms of brightness. If the guy next to you has a Stonelined or a Wick, and you're on a Trumcor, you're not going to cut compared to him. So everybody has to default to the brighter sounding mute. Same goes for harmons.

That's a good point. I think the Trumcor cup has a beautiful sound, but my sound with it was lost in a section of other cups. Opening up the cup increased my volume, but the tradeoff was losing the cup sound I needed.
Piccolo Stomvi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: