• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How to make a come-back - my insights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Othismos

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: How to make a come-back - my insights Reply with quote

It recently occurred to me that I am the quintessential come-back player and perhaps my insights can be helpful and possibly even inspirational to others making the journey.

I started playing my Conn Director at age 9. (1961) I had already started piano at age 8. I played the typical US school band curriculum - grade school band, junior high band and high school concert, marching and jazz bands. I went to college and played for 2 years in the concert band. Other priorities took over my life (Army, family, work, etc) and for the next 40 years I played periodically with the high school alumni band. I should mention that in junior high my parents bought me a Bach cornet which I never really got into. In 1968 they bought me a King Silver Flair (1055) to which I still own and play today on occasion. It looks just like new.

In 2011, I moved to Bavaria for work. Long story short, my village has a community band and I asked the tuba player if they needed more trumpet players and he said they did. So, in 2012 I started my adventures as a come-back player. I now play in 4 German bands and lead a German/American band which plays mainly for events on a US Army garrison. I have an extensive collection of trumpets - 60+.

The struggles have been immense and on more than one occasion the thought crossed my mind to give it all up. However, I have persevered and playing progress has been steady if not as fast as I wish though.

I need to close for now so I will say this - always, always start with the basics. If you feel yourself slipping and having problems, go back to the basics as if you are starting all over again. That is the most wonderful thing to know - that except in the case where you have overdone it so much and caused severe lip damage, you can always start over again with the basics. I found the Embouchure Builder for Trumpet (Cornet) to be most helpful (and still is). Also, Gordon's Physical Approach to Elementary Brass Playing was very helpful. I do think I spent too much time on his Systematic Approach to Daily Practice for Trumpet in the beginning. Clarke was and always has been not that helpful to me. Neither has Arban's. Point being, buy as many lesson books as possible, try them out, and see which ones give you the best results.

I know I am not saying anything new. I just may be reaching other folks who might miss these insights from other postings.

Must go now, I will make more comments in the future.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been playing now for about 18 months after a 50 year hiatus. Like you, there were times when I questioned my sanity thought about quitting, but I am not a quitter either.
The ups and down continue but playing in a community band makes me happy and with all its complexities, I love the trumpet. I agree that going back to the basics is best. Chicowitz flow studies, Earl Irons and a Greg Wing daily 20 minute routine that covers a little bit of everything, including expanding scales to high C above the staff are what work best for me.

All the best on your second time around.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
dcjway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started playing again at 50, after a 33 year break, I too have questioned my sanity and have thought about giving up. I have found it very helpful to have a teacher, but I had to find the right one for me. I started out at the local Music and Arts store and it was a great place to start, I had a lot of fun with it, but a job change brought that to an end. I then moved on and started studying with a retired symphony player who had newly moved into my area, he introduced me to Arban's and Clarke's Technical Studies, I hated Clarke's back then. This guy could blow through it perfectly at break neck speed, of course he had been playing for over 50 years. He gave me a good start but it got too difficult for him and I and his ego to fit into the room, so I stopped after a year with him. At that point I stopped playing for about a month and thought about giving up, but I really like playing and decided that even if the best I do is 4th chair somewhere well that's fine with me. Well things have changed and a few months ago I started Skype lessons with Jeff Purtle and last night after my practice my wife said I've improved more since going with Jeff then I had in all the time I studied with my other teachers. I like the Gordon approach and having Jeff to guide me and move me though the lessons when he thinks I'm ready has been great. I use Arban's, Systematic Approach, and Daily Trumpet Routines and I also play other music of my choice. Having a structured practice routine has helped me greatly and to be able to learn from someone who studied with Mr. Gordon for 10 years is a blessing. Gordon is working for me, it may not be right for you, but if you can find someone to guide you on your trumpet journey that might help. By the way for me the goal of 4th chair is no longer good enough.
1935 NY Bach 26-59 silver plate
oregonmac

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up after 34 years away, and at first I felt slightly insane. l bought a Chicago Holton cornet off Craigslist for 75 bucks, and just started plowing through a couple exercise books (I didn’t feel up to Clarke or Arban, and am kinda glad I didn’t. It would have been easy to get discouraged).

My saving grace was a little dark cabaret combo who wanted a regular horn player. I auditioned and they picked me, I think because I wasn’t a high school hotshot. I started writing my own lines and hooks for the group. Having that gig - some people depending on me - was the best inspiration.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oregonmac wrote:
I picked up after 34 years away, and at first I felt slightly insane. l bought a Chicago Holton cornet off Craigslist for 75 bucks, and just started plowing through a couple exercise books (I didn’t feel up to Clarke or Arban, and am kinda glad I didn’t. It would have been easy to get discouraged).

My saving grace was a little dark cabaret combo who wanted a regular horn player. I auditioned and they picked me, I think because I wasn’t a high school hotshot. I started writing my own lines and hooks for the group. Having that gig - some people depending on me - was the best inspiration.

Sounds great. All the best.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
ButchA
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great story and history you have as a comeback player, Othismos!

I started out (like countless others) in the school band way back in the day, and continued up in through high school and a little beyond after that. Then in my adult years for one reason or another, the trumpet just sort of got put away in the closet. It wasn't until my daughters got involved in the school band, that I got out my old trumpet and picked it back up.

As a fellow "comeback player" I learned that it is like riding a bicycle. You never truly forget. It takes time to redevelop the top playing skills, but the basics will still be there.

Also, I enjoy having fun while practicing and playing with the my Shriners Band here in town.

NEVER GIVE UP!
ShishakTIU

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on the Comeback, Othismos.

I've had half-hearted ambitions about getting back in shape and playing in a band but it's never gotten further than a single gig. Outside of school, or professional bands, there's not a huge demand for symphonic trained trumpet players. I might try getting spun up for a Christmas production at our church, but it won't be anything close to what my college band was at.

I did have the opportunity about twelve years ago to play in a military band during tech school, after getting hauled into Band Flight in basic. To say that it was a step back is an understatement. We were playing Tchaikovsky, Holst, and Fanfare for the Common Man in my college band, and in the military pep band we did a bunch of pieces that just about anyone in high school could play, if not exactly play well.

The basics are always important. I'd say that finding what made you decide to play in the first place is also key. Playing a musical instrument isn't going to reward you monetarily unless you are very, very, good or very business savvy and lucky. The dream is what dies in most people who stop playing. That's what has let me down. I never found a compelling reason to dust off the horn and go look for opportunities to play it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: