• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Breathing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samdelong

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Breathing Reply with quote

Hey Guys -

I've recently been looking into breathing techniques (Maynard) and the wedge breath like roger ingram and bobby shew, and was wondering a good approach to this? I'm looking to make myself not want to die after playing a long phrase and being extremely out of breath.
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest Jim Manley for a Skype lesson. According to Jim he spent quite a bit of time with the Maynard and what he took away and developed is quite different from the huff and puff technique taught by Lynn ( from my small experience with Lynn's models). Ease of play to at least hi g for me in about 4 lessons. But the high stuff really isn't the takeaway for me, it's the ease of getting it done. You see I had an abdominal anurysm repaired and staying alive while playing is much more important than that dbl. c. It made my tone stronger and more to center than ever before and my hi g is easy unless it's ff !
Jims technique went along with changes I was trying to a beige and brought out desired results. I really don't have need for the hi g much but as I do the 15 minutes of exercise it is becoming mine all the time🤑 I beleive if I pushed for range I could get the dbl. but it truly isn't important for me as my lead playing days ended voluntarily 46 years ago when I used extreme pressure and a huge amount of air. The physical (and recreational) abuse pushed me away from the road. He found a much easier way to play like Maynard, and although they sound completely different, I'm not sure Maynard could play as high.
Rod
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will also find that physical fitness plays a huge role re: your question. You also might get real progress from practicing with the "timed breathing" concept, whereby you take in only what you need for a given phrase. Usually that means inhaling less, but for your longest phrases that may mean increasing your lung capacity; basically stretching out your inhalation muscles by taking in more and more air, and holding it. An exercise I have used for this with good results is to take in a good, sharp breath, say "one" without exhaling any more than normal speech, repeat and say "two," etc up to ten, at which point you hold it. Ways to develop further include forcefully compressing the air to take in more, holding it longer, and when you do finally exhale, to do so very slowly, like maybe through a coffee stirrer.

Do not give yourself a hernia! The physical side is unavoidable and to be embraced. Feeling like you're going to die is something to condition yourself to tolerate. In all aspects, our physical limitations need to be expanded well beyond what we need to do in performance.
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maynard's stance and breathing techniques described in various Youtube videos. The average Joe does not usually believe it but his suggestions on stance/breathing yield the fastest improvement in upper register production.

You kinda just gotta trust the guy and persevere.

Another way to test and develop your breathing is by practicing with the fakebook up one full octave. This is great practice for lead players. It simply forces you to apply the proper breathing apparatus. Songs like "Girl From Impanema" and "I Cant Get Started" up 8va will build your abdominal muscles like nothig before.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
bear30101

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Breathing Reply with quote

Like Rod, I'm studying with Jim Manley (three lessons so far) and have found playing is much easier. My sound is bigger and richer, and my endurance is improving. I'm told I sound more relaxed. Jim cares about his students "getting it" and is relentless in making sure they do.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
you're talking about Bobby Shew's wedge and Roger Ingram, why not have a lesson with one of them?
best
MF Fan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally believe trying to implement the wedge breath is an unnecessary distraction for a player that hasn't already developed a solid foundation. The easiest way to ensure you're taking an adequate inhalation is to take the same kind of breath you would if you were in a pool and about to see how long you could hold your breath under water. Nice deep breath, feel your rip cage expand. That's all there is to it. To add a little more compression pull your lower abs in slightly towards your tail bone. Nothing extreme. Keep it simple, then forgot about the mechanics and focus on the sound your making.

For a more advanced technique, check out Mark Zauss. He's all about relaxed exhalation, letting the natural elasticity of the rib cage and abs do all the work, no need to force anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gLeo2xmNEk

When you can do this, I think you've got it down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raexBsiEwkQ&feature=youtu.be
Holton MF3
Lead Trumpet - My Basement Jazz Orchestra
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not wrong MF fan, it can also, if not really understood or mastered, induce too much inner pressure, kind of Valsalva manoeuvre, bad for playing, sound, control, ease, etc...

But learning it from Bobby will avoid that risk
best
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: