• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best Brass aluminum Wah-Wah quick review.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Best Brass aluminum Wah-Wah quick review. Reply with quote

Hi folks!

I would like to share my experience about a long waited order I placed.

I have purchased a Best Brass aluminum wah wah mute. It has arrived about one hour ago.

I already had a Jo-Ral all copper bubble mute, and I would like to make this quick review (considering my first 20 minutes fooling around with my new Best Brass) comparing it against the Jo-Ral all copper bubble mute.

I think the Best Brass aluminum wah wah mute is another kind of gear. Most of the wah wah mutes I played sounded similar in certain aspects of tone and playability. But the Best Brass seems like another kind of beast.

It buzzes different from the Jo-Ral copper. It is funny to say it but it is an aluminum mute that sounds and feels warmer than the Jo-Ral copper. It seems the Best Brass has a much more centered buzz-spectrum (if this makes any sense to you guys). It seems like specific buzz tone and frequency were mastered as if they were balanced by an electronic equalizer. The thing is this is not an electronic mute. It’s a piece of aluminum. And this gives me the creeps!!!

The main difference I have experienced so far was when I tried to play very soft and also when I tried to play low notes. Boy, the pianissimo is completely there and you can have full control of your airflow! The low notes produce a beautiful humming that’s not even close to what I could squeeze out of the Jo-Ral copper mute.

The Jo-Ral copper is crispier but the Best Brass can be pushed to buzz as well. It seems like the Best Brass gives it’s best if used with an instrument that produces a lot of harmonics and projects well. I tried the Best Brass with my Benge trumpet (L.A. 3x - very light), with my Jupiter cornet and with my Weril pocket trumpet. The Benge was OK. The pocket was better with the Jo-Ral. But the Jupiter cornet sounded so cool! Doing things the Jo-Ral did not allow it to do.

All that being said, I would like to emphasize that it almost responds different form what we are used to call a Wah Wah, or Harmon mute. Those well known mutes enhance notes that already tend to shine. The Best Brass could easily be used as a jazzy mute but also as a practice mute, since it gives the player a wonderful feedback from lower to high ends of the trumpet range.

It still feels kind of funny to play it. But I am sure I’m falling for this eccentric sexy gadget.
djpearlman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does it sound like close-mic'd? Can you post any sound samples?

- Monette Cornette
- Andalusia Cornet
- Carolbrass Pocket Trumpet
- Monette mouthpieces

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5NafoVeXrsRm-fOhKaIpnA
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djpearlman wrote:
What does it sound like close-mic'd? Can you post any sound samples?

I do not own any recording device that could accurately capture the sound.
I can try to do something using my computer, but I'm sure the built in mic in no good.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Built-in mic may work pretty well for playing muted and pp.
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:
Built-in mic may work pretty well for playing muted and pp.

I gave it a shot and recorded a small part of a Brazilian song.
I have to warn you it was played by heart and the sound is not fair to both of the mutes. It specially missed a lot of the "humming" from the Best Brass.

I used a space from a webpage I own to share the files.
http://www.soulnagoela.com.br/mutes.html

Follow the "Best Brass Aluminum" link for the Best Brass sample and the "Jo-Ral Copper" link for the Jo-Ral sample.

I'm not judging which mute is better. Just what I notice as being different in the Best Brass when compared to the Jo-Ral.

I think the main characteristic of the Best Brass is that it narrows the gap between the low notes buzz and the higher notes buzz. It enhances the lower notes and makes the upper notes more subtle.

Anyway... This is what I could conclude after hearing both samples.

I hope you enjoy and forgive any flaws!
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH!!!! I forgot!!!!!

I recorded it with my Jupiter CORNET... not a trumpet.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the sound samples! Both mutes seem to have their advantages- the Best Brass sounds more even across all registers, while the Jo-Ral seems to have a bit more "flavor," in that different notes speak a bit differently. Good thing to have both!
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muito sentimento!

I like both of your takes - but indeed, with your setup the Best Brass gives a "haunty" tone that does not appear with Jo-Ral.

In my experience, the same mute (Jo-Ral Copper) will sound differently in pp when played with different horns.
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:
Muito sentimento!

Thank you very much!!!
This is a song composed by one of the most important Brazilian composers. His name is Pixinguinha.

OFFTOPIC:
I would like to post a small historical video where he appears:

Link
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering if you ever compared this to the Emo aluminum harmon?
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:

Unfortunately, I haven't.
But it seems the Emo is quite a popular item.
Is tis available in the US?
Pockettrumpet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Brass aluminum Wah-Wah quick review. Reply with quote

abundrefo wrote:
Hi folks!

I have purchased a Best Brass aluminum wah wah mute. It has arrived about one hour ago.

I already had a Jo-Ral all copper bubble mute, and I would like to make this quick review (considering my first 20 minutes fooling around with my new Best Brass) comparing it against the Jo-Ral all copper bubble mute.

I think the Best Brass aluminum wah wah mute is another kind of gear. Most of the wah wah mutes I played sounded similar in certain aspects of tone and playability. But the Best Brass seems like another kind of beast.

It buzzes different from the Jo-Ral copper. It is funny to say it but it is an aluminum mute that sounds and feels warmer than the Jo-Ral copper. It seems the Best Brass has a much more centered buzz-spectrum (if this makes any sense to you guys). It seems like specific buzz tone and frequency were mastered as if they were balanced by an electronic equalizer. The thing is this is not an electronic mute. It’s a piece of aluminum. And this gives me the creeps!!!

The main difference I have experienced so far was when I tried to play very soft and also when I tried to play low notes. Boy, the pianissimo is completely there and you can have full control of your airflow! The low notes produce a beautiful humming that’s not even close to what I could squeeze out of the Jo-Ral copper mute.

The Jo-Ral copper is crispier but the Best Brass can be pushed to buzz as well. It seems like the Best Brass gives it’s best if used with an instrument that produces a lot of harmonics and projects well. I tried the Best Brass with my Benge trumpet (L.A. 3x - very light), with my Jupiter cornet and with my Weril pocket trumpet. The Benge was OK. The pocket was better with the Jo-Ral. But the Jupiter cornet sounded so cool! Doing things the Jo-Ral did not allow it to do.

All that being said, I would like to emphasize that it almost responds different form what we are used to call a Wah Wah, or Harmon mute. Those well known mutes enhance notes that already tend to shine. The Best Brass could easily be used as a jazzy mute but also as a practice mute, since it gives the player a wonderful feedback from lower to high ends of the trumpet range.

It still feels kind of funny to play it. But I am sure I’m falling for this eccentric sexy gadget.
Quote:
Hi Andre, I am very interested in your Harmon mute search and have done a lot of experementing on this subject. I am also one of the very fortunate people to have met Chris Botti and had some descussion obout trumpets with him and have actually played his Martin trumpet and mouthpiece.
Unfortunately I did not see or use his harmon mute but I am almost certain how it works. I would like to talk to you about harmon mutes and you can contact me at richard.autenzio@bigpond.com I would like that. Richard.
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Brass aluminum Wah-Wah quick review. Reply with quote

Pockettrumpet wrote:
abundrefo wrote:
Hi folks!

Quote:
Hi Andre, I am very interested in your Harmon mute search and have done a lot of experementing on this subject. I am also one of the very fortunate people to have met Chris Botti and had some descussion obout trumpets with him and have actually played his Martin trumpet and mouthpiece.
Unfortunately I did not see or use his harmon mute but I am almost certain how it works. I would like to talk to you about harmon mutes and you can contact me at richard.autenzio@bigpond.com I would like that. Richard.

Hi Richard, I will contact you soon. I'm not at home. I'm traveling overseas.

I actually have an aluminum Ullven coming to me from Germany right now.

I will soon A-B-C-D-F compare (LoL) the Ullven, the Best Brass (aluminum), the JoRal (copper), the Charlie Davis (aluminum) and the Vintage Harmon (Harmon brand) in about 12-15 days.

Maybe won't keep all of them. Let's see...
Pockettrumpet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Luck Andre. I look forward to hearing about your findings. Richard.
Bstradivarius
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:

Raze, I happen to have both, except the Best Brass is brass not aluminum. Although each has its place, the Emo is pretty hard to beat in getting that sizzle and also because it's easier to take in and out: so it's the combination I am accustomed to. Stem out or in, Emo has more sizzle. But the Best Brass sure has a nicely sealed and aligned fit. It may project better to an audience, with better volume. Slightly more focused sound and sizzle, probably with more volume, when you need it. I like having the contrasting harmon mutes. Something to do. I'll find a way make a way to use both
Brass Quintet
Brass choir
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: