• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Dental Implants

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveH wrote:
Sounds like in many cases it would be better or easier or simpler to just learn to play a different instrument that doesn't rely on the mouth, such as piano or guitar or something like that? That is, if a person wanted to play some kind of instrument.

I'm not sure that everyone is a candidate for implants anyway, regardless of the cost. I think there might be some pre-existing conditions that may make implants unfeasible anyway, yes?

I'm a drummer, and I decided years ago that if something were to happen to my lips or teeth that made it to where I couldn't play trumpet anymore, that I would focus solely on drumming. So for me, the answer is yes when it comes to playing another instrument that doesn't involve my mouth. Or I might learn to play guitar - I've always wanted to, but I have never really had the time to delve into it.

As for whether or not some people are not viable candidates, I would tend to think that if you:

a.) were not a smoker (the risk of rejection of the implant is considerably higher for smokers)
b) were otherwise in good health and not too old

that you'd be a good candidate for getting dental implants. Apparently I was a great candidate for getting implants. They ended up bumping up the size of the implant they'd intended to use to the next bigger size because I had enough jawbone to support it. (I think that translates to, "I have a big mouth!")

The only thing with mine was the time - it ended up taking longer to get the implant in place and to get the crown installed than he'd originally told me, but again, there were extenuating circumstances that prevented me from getting the appointments in a more timely manner, but since it didn't affect my playing, I didn't push the issue. If it had, I'd probably pushed to get it done more quickly, or I'd have gone elsewhere to have it completed.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dershem wrote:
I studied with Red Rodney, and he said he would have had to give up playing were it not for his implants.

one of the many who left a trail of blood in their wake.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: