• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Smoking and Trumpet playing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlJ6OiVLX9I

It seems to work pretty well for this guy.
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should also cut out sugar and processed foods.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: playing and smoking Reply with quote

Well, as one who drank away my chance for a college education as a musician and then years later the same in athletics I got sober over 32 years ago and it was tough to do. I had to do a couple papers in the late seventies on nicotine and found that the strength of the addiction with nicotine is 6-10 times that of alcohol and nicotine is addictive in 100% of people who use it alcohol isn't. So, if you are one who smokes give quitting your best try. At 67 I have already attended too many funerals for the nicotine reason. This isn't preaching, it just makes me happy that I can still draw a good breath to play when I want to.
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tim_wolf wrote:
Croquethed wrote:
George, smoking outside in Syracuse in the winter takes some toughness!

I smoked 13 years, while I was on hiatus from horn playing. Now I run 15 miles a week and consider it a vital part of being in shape to play the instrument.

And you are right about a thicker wallet. When I first quit, cigarettes were about $3.50 a pack and I gave myself incenntive by telling myself I could buy a new pair of running shoes every month. Today, they are north of $10 a pack in CT, and I could buy a new pair of shoes every 5-7 days on what I would spend on tobacco.

$3.50 a pack!? I remember when my dad quit smoking cold turkey in the mid-seventies, because "there's no way I'm paying fifty cents for a pack of cigarettes!" I always admired him quitting cold turkey after smoking two packs a day for 30 years.

I went to college in the late 1970s in eastern NC, the heart of tobacco country. They had a machine in the dorm basement - 25 cents a pack.
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But.....how could Miles be wrong.
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMrtn wrote:

Separate the bad behavior from the talent. He was a pimp and a junkie too. Surely we can all agree that we'd play better without heroin, cigarettes and selling women like commodities.

I know you get it and are just being ironic. They used to say that Miles could #^@& into his horn and get five stars from Downbeat.

That doesn't work for most people.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems self-evident that deliberately inhaling the byproduct of combustion of any substance is a bad idea.

It should be pointed out that corporate suits are betting a big pile of money that they can influence/control the minds of a lot of folks as evidenced by their marketing campaigns. Both tobacco and gov't who rakes in big bucks in tax revenues are also well aware that they're profiting off a bunch of addicts and that warnings on tobacco products don't really do much. In some parts of the world they're required to put grisly pictures of the devastating results of tobacco on packaging - and people still buy them. TV ads with wasted cancer patients telling you not to smoke don't put people off tobacco. Gov't mostly cares whether you smoke when someone sells them to you under the table and they don't get their cut. Yeah, they got spanked with a big lawsuit - did a single tobacco exec do jail time for lying through their teeth about their knowledge of the effects of tobacco?

When things got a little tighter in the West for tobacco co's, they just increased their marketing in parts of the world where they don't sweat it too much if 9-year-olds smoke. I'm personally convinced that those who run the tobacco industry would sell heroin to elementary school kids if it was legal.

Irony - the card swipe kiosk at Walgreens asking if you want to donate to cancer research - with a wall full of tobacco products behind the register. Some stores will make sure magazine covers with scantily clad women have modesty screens over them - but lethal tobacco products are in full view of the kiddies.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markp wrote:
SMrtn wrote:

Separate the bad behavior from the talent. He was a pimp and a junkie too. Surely we can all agree that we'd play better without heroin, cigarettes and selling women like commodities.

I know you get it and are just being ironic. They used to say that Miles could #^@& into his horn and get five stars from Downbeat.

That doesn't work for most people.

That is correct.

I didn't know he pimped chicks out though. If that's true then it is rather nasty. I'll do some research on that score.
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoever "they" are who said that Miles could #^@& into his horn and get five stars from Downbeat didn't know what they were talking about, to put it mildly.

Whatever shortcoming Miles may have had, there is no denying his brilliance as one of the most important artists of the 20th century. Such remark is ignorant and very backhanded.
'56 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 trumpet
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Couesnon Paris flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Sleeves and PVA
chrispate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once heard Bud smoked a cigar pretty frequently throughout his career, so why kick it?

I think it's likely the best to quit while you can and hope you haven't done any major damage to your lungs yet, much less worry about your playing.
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I studied with Ray Kotwica for 6 semesters at Berklee back in the late 70's until 1981. Ray smoked more than anyone I have ever met. One after another, probably only needed one or two matches a day. Ray was a very fine player. He mostly worked in the theater district as far as I know.
One year after the Christmas break I went in for my first lesson of the spring semester. When I walked in I noticed he wasn't smoking, There were no packs on his desk either. I asked him why. He told me he woke up one morning and didn't feel too great. He threw all his cigarettes in in the garbage. He quit cold turkey and never smoked again. He probably smoked 4-6 packs a day up to that point. Amazing willpower.
Ray died in 2015 and was in his late 80's. He would have been in his early 50's when he quit.
Ray was a tough taskmaster as a teacher. He was a good guy and funny as hell. Ray was one of those people who didn't have to try to be funny. Ray being Ray was all it took.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: