• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Developing Brandenburg Range (Picc vs Large Horn)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fnchdrms87
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Developing Brandenburg Range (Picc vs Large Horn) Reply with quote

Assuming a player has a range up about a high concert D/E, what would be a better approach to developing the facility to performing the Brandenburg? Would trying to develop a high concert F and G on Bb or C trumpet carry over and be a better return on investment of time energy, or would would working exclusively on piccolo trumpet to develop the upper register facility be a better use of time?
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both. Having gone through this exercise, it's not about just 'getting' the notes, but also developing the ease in upper register, with being able to play there comfortably, developing one's playing on piccolo so it sounds easy and being comfortable with the piece in itself.

I worked in two ways, one on Bb / C to develop range using various exercises which moved into the upper register so I was going as far as I could. To actually play up there every day helps! (Who'd a thunk it????)

I also worked on the piece starting in a lower key. For fun, an octave below (which was also my corno da caccia 'escape clause' for the performance) I moved up chromatically, changing instruments and moving up when I was happy in that key...

So, I played it in low F, then G, Ab, A, Bb and C. All was good, range was moving up a little, but my ease of playing in my range was greatly developed. On to C#, then in D and I was on my A piccolo. Not too bad, and after a few weeks, just fine. To Eb on Bb picc and soon it was almost there.

Then, just as I started working in E on the A piccolo, the ensemble collapsed and that was that. But, that semitone was a big big interval to deal with... almost too much. I felt like I dodged a bullet, ut also enjoyed the journey very much.

Now its a few years on, and I feel my range is actual better now, so I may just go through the exercise... (apologies to my work colleagues. They are going to get rather familiar with Bach!) and see how it goes.

cheers

Andy
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of being the usual 'faster louder higher' you need to be able to play those high notes softer and with control. The aim is to balance with the recorder, oboe and violin, no small ask. To prepare I would suggest working with the Clarke Technical Studies 1 2 and 3 first on the normal Bb then on the piccolo. Lip slurs connecting the registers is also helpful. I find playing on a C piccolo helps me with accuracy as the key of F seems to be easier than the key of G to play in. Those high G's seem to be more secure than the A's on the Bb. I like the 'Jacob's' principle of the two instruments. the one inside is more important than the one on the outside. Good luck.
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's lots of great advice on this forum about building up to performing BB2. And really, no matter how great you get at it, its still quite a reach for most players. There are plenty of recordings of some of the great classical trumpet "heroes" sounding generally fantastic on this piece, but cracking or missing notes during some of the more extreme passages...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: