• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

vibrato

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:16 am    Post subject: vibrato Reply with quote

In the 50s and 60s I always used the hand/wrist method. Since my comeback last year I have also tried the lips/jaw method but can't seem to smooth it out. I am impressed with aTrumpetdude's playing and especially his smooth vibrato. Any tips on how to accomplish this properly ?
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - keep doing it and working on it, and record yourself if you can to check your progress and where you are with it.

Most of the time with playing an instrument, there really is no trick or shortcut - it's spending time in the practice room working on whatever it is that needs to be worked on, and dialing it in slowly through focused practice.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
Yes - keep doing it and working on it, and record yourself if you can to check your progress and where you are with it.

Most of the time with playing an instrument, there really is no trick or shortcut - it's spending time in the practice room working on whatever it is that needs to be worked on, and dialing it in slowly through focused practice.

Thanks, Patrick, I'm not looking for a trick or a shortcut, but rather an explanation of one's method, eg: is it a way of moving the jaw, or just a way of moving the lips only ? In my case I am moving my jaw forward and back and I'm not sure that is the correct action.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May be worth keeping in mind that some schools of thought (playing) discourage the jaw method as causing unnecessary movement. May or may not be an issue for you, just throwing it out there. Unless there is some problem with your past and current scheme, why not stick with it and try to smooth it out if that is your goal, instead of changing the way you've always done it?

Disclaimer: I use the jaw method myself, do not claim to be a great player, just to note that I am not terribly biased against it.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a video with guidance on learning vibrato from Roger Webster and Richard Marshall, two very fine cornet players from the UK. Now, you might not want to replicate their exact vibrato style in your playing, but their instruction on how to develop vibrato skills is good, no matter how you might use it.

I use lip/jaw vibrato, and they both work together. When I first started to learn how to do it, I found it frustrating, because it felt like I was moving things around a lot, yet getting hardly noticeable results in the sound. If that's your experience, I recommend you just stick with it, and after awhile you'll find that you'll be able to produce a noticeable vibrato with subtle motion in the jaw and lips. From that point, you might have the opposite problem and find you need to be more subtle with the movement so the vibrato isn't too deep or wide. Ultimately, you will want to develop absolute control so you can turn it on or off and control the speed and depth at will.

If you're interested in learning hand vibrato, here's an interesting video from Barbara Hull with a lesson on that.
Piccolo Stomvi
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice, fellas. Thanks.

I use the hand method without any problems. It was good enough for Satchmo, Harry James, Doc Severinsen and others, so it is good enough for me. I just want to learn the jaw/lips method, too.

I'll just keep with it an try to smooth it out.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
May be worth keeping in mind that some schools of thought (playing) discourage the jaw method as causing unnecessary movement. May or may not be an issue for you, just throwing it out there. Unless there is some problem with your past and current scheme, why not stick with it and try to smooth it out if that is your goal, instead of changing the way you've always done it?

Disclaimer: I use the jaw method myself, do not claim to be a great player, just to note that I am not terribly biased against it.

I've always used the jaw method too - is there a "wrong" way to do it as long as it sounds ok and isn't overtly detrimental to your playing?

There are definitely different schools of thought though - Doc Severinsen used hand vibrato the times I've seen him live, but Maynard seemed to use jaw vibrato.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in high school and college, I was a hand vibrato user.

I took a few years off, and when I returned to the instrument I was a jaw vibrato user.

I have no idea why I changed, because it sure wasn't a conscious decision! Just sort of happened.

I think you should just use whatever comes naturally and gives you the sound you want without killing your chops. I think those Louis Armstrong style big shakes at the end of notes require a hand vibrato, although maybe some players can do it with jaw vibrato. I sure can't!
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
I've always used the jaw method too - is there a "wrong" way to do it as long as it sounds ok and isn't overtly detrimental to your playing?

That's a lot of unknown variables that can be defined differently to (too) many folk: "wrong", "sounds OK", "overtly detrimental", etc. Another one of those things that can lead to endless, and generally fruitless, debate.

I am not sure which "school(s)" advocate(s) against jaw movement but the reasons I found compelling, mainly to not upset the embouchure and help prevent the "endless vibrato all the time" problem. But, despite working on it for a while, I just couldn't quite get the hang of using my hand for vibrato and finally decided since I wasn't playing professionally now to drop it and focus on other aspects of my playing. Plenty of those issues to work on...

You could also argue that hand movement, or just any vibrato, by definition affects the embouchure so how you do vibrato doesn't really matter. And of course overdoing it with your hand and smacking your chops seems a bad thing.

I do not personally care, but in this case questioned the need for a change if the OP's current method is working. If just for fun, OK, but I have tried a few things "just for fun" that ended, well, poorly... Not just on trumpet!
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
I think you should just use whatever comes naturally and gives you the sound you want without killing your chops.

That right there is probably the best reason to pick one over the other.
- ACB Doubler

Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't kno if this will help and I haven't seen anyone else mention it but it always felt like a tongue, lip and slight breath thing to me. When I played as a younger person, I never had a brass teacher and formed a natural embouchere by the way things felt and nothing more (good and bad). I never saw a technique demonstrated but thats how it worked for me.. I dont move my jaw or my horn at all at any time, but I dont have great hi range either. I cannot pinpoint exactly where it comes from but jaw or hand movement have no part in my vibrato. Doing Harry James type vibrato causes a feeling of movement in my throat but I assume it is a greater use of breath, and HJ vibrato is extreme these days. So like I said I dont know if this helps but my vibrato is very even and doesn't come from hand or jaw movement. I do think the lip also has a bit of involvement as exaggerating vibrato was how I learned to do short interval lip trills.
Rod
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeB wrote:
I am moving my jaw forward and back and I'm not sure that is the correct action.

I thought one's jaw movement was up/down not forward/back. Yes/no?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
aTrumpetdude

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey GeorgeB - Dunno how I missed this thread until now but I'll try to explain the way I do vibrato for most things. I use a gentle up and down lower jaw motion.

Sadly it is like anything else on the horn though, I had to work it out over time with a lot of practice. Basically I started just doing one cycle per slow beat, then when that was very smooth and controlled I went to quarter note triplets, then eventually eighth notes, then triplets, then faster to slower, etc.

Also I typically do vibrato faster as I go higher and conversely slower as I go lower This is pretty much standard and sounds natural but a lot of people don't realize it.
1969 Conn 8b Artist
1980 238 CL
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm1qCev_sfof-Bfj5MAMLrQ
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
GeorgeB wrote:
I am moving my jaw forward and back and I'm not sure that is the correct action.

I thought one's jaw movement was up/down not forward/back. Yes/no?

That’s what I thought, and do.

I’ve changed from hand to jaw in recent years. For me, especially in the upper register, jaw vibrato is more consistent and easier to control. IMO, less is more, depending somewhat on the music genre. Vibrato for a slower tempo jazz piece is quite a bit different than for “legit” music, for example, in my opinion.

Brad
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:

I do not personally care, but in this case questioned the need for a change if the OP's current method is working. If just for fun, OK, but I have tried a few things "just for fun" that ended, well, poorly... Not just on trumpet!

I have noticed some players use both methods ( Harry James for one ) and just felt that perhaps, depending on the music, one method may fit better than the other. It really isn't a big deal. Although I quit playing in 1965, I always used the hand vibrato method from day one in 1953. Now that I am back at it for about 18 months I just figured I would try using the jaw/lips method but it just never sounded right. So it has just become a bit of a personal challenge to learn to do it properly. In the mean time I am using the method I know that works for me.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aTrumpetdude wrote:
Hey GeorgeB - Dunno how I missed this thread until now but I'll try to explain the way I do vibrato for most things. I use a gentle up and down lower jaw motion.

Sadly it is like anything else on the horn though, I had to work it out over time with a lot of practice. Basically I started just doing one cycle per slow beat, then when that was very smooth and controlled I went to quarter note triplets, then eventually eighth notes, then triplets, then faster to slower, etc.

Also I typically do vibrato faster as I go higher and conversely slower as I go lower This is pretty much standard and sounds natural but a lot of people don't realize it.

I was hoping you'd reply, aTrumpetDude. Well right off I discovered I was wrong in moving the jaw forward and back. I will definitely try your gentle up and down lower jaw movement and will work on it over time the way you did. I really like your vibrato. It always sounds natural and never forced. Hell, I like the way you sound, period.

Thanks, aTrumpetDude and all the others who took time to respond. You all helped me realize the real problem was how I moved the jaw back and forward, rather than up and down.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: