• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Finding a band

View previous topic :: View next topic  
deleted_user_19c01b1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Finding a band Reply with quote

I'm an intermediate/advanced student. I am a comback player and I know at this point I need a band/orchestra to advance further. Is there a dedicated forum on TH to match musicians and bands?

I live in the northern suburbs of Philadelphia and willing to travel and dedicate my free time to music.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

google band, northern Philadelphia, look on facebook for listings in that category, look on craigslist, music store bulletin boards; but I think the first recommendation is your best bet.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play in a local church orchestra. It performs once a week and practices weekly in sections.

You might want to contact a few churches and see if they, or know of any, have a band or orchestra you can participate in.
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for a New Horizons group or similar community band/orchestra.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
'40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many community/junior colleges have bands that meet in the evenings. Those groups are typically very open and welcoming to new potential members. That's where I'd start - find out what community colleges are nearby, find out which ones have bands (usually they have both a concert band and a jazz band) and then contact those groups to find out what you need to do in order to join.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Community bands/orchestras (orchestras of course use fewer trumpets), church bands, community musical theater, local "jams"....the whole idea is networking, which can even result in paid gigs. Generally doesn't happen overnight though.
Even though it's generally full of c***, an ad on your local Craigslist is a possibility, although of course you need to be careful. I did once recruit a sax player and a singer for a band I was with through Craigslist.
But since you're probably open to casual / unpaid or even startup bands, CL is a possibility.

Another option, as someone mentioned, is start your own. Also not easy, but a possibility.

Brad
deleted_user_19c01b1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a couple of things already based on the recommendations here. Thanks everyone!
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a rehearsal big band called "Jazz 4 nothin' " I was playing with over the summer, they rehearse on Monday nights at a church in Doylestown. They could use another trumpet or 2, and I had to take a break myself.
You can find them on Meetup.
I also heard about a couple of community bands in the area, though it's off season now that summer's over.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter777 wrote:
I found a couple of things already based on the recommendations here. Thanks everyone!

I went through the process you're on now about 8 years back, so maybe these are obvious to you already, perhaps not.

You probably won't stay with the first band(s) you get involved in very long, especially if you have a good teacher and practice a lot independently.

You will also meet a lot of people in those groups that can lead you to other, perhaps 'better' or 'more challenging' groups to play in. The search engine can get you started with things like community bands, but the networking with other musicians in your area is what will get you where you'll want to be in the near future.

There is a huge difference between community groups that say 'we take anyone' and those that hold auditions to get in. The open ones usually aren't very good at all, but easy to get started in to get some ensemble time in while you get your chops up.

Saying yes when somebody asks you if you can sub in another group, even if it's sort of inconvenient for you at the time, can really pay off down the road.

Remember the old rule: "On-time is late, and late is 'you're fired.'" Show up early, in a good mood, and be reliable. I know some really good players that get locked out of great gigs solely because they have a reputation for being unreliable. That rep follows you around forever.

Finally, don't stay in a group too long if it makes you unhappy, for whatever reason, be it rep, genre, people, conductor, whatever. You're mostly likely in this for enjoyment, and if you're dreading the rehearsal before you even get there, it's time to move on before you burn some bridges.
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what you are looking for as to the possibility of finding it.

It also depends on your own expectations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: