• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Carol Brass 3C mouthpiece: good choice for a beginner?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ephemere

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: 3 c mouthpiece Reply with quote

jondrowjf@gmail.com wrote:
As a backup horn, I will consider buying her a used student cornet for practice.

Why would it be advantageous to practice on a cornet rather than the trumpet?

(This has been a great thread, and very useful.)
ephemere

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone who took time out of their day to help me on this thread. Not only did I get my original question about the CB mouthpiece answered, but I also found out that the CB 4000H-YSS is likely a better choice than the CB 5000L-YST for a beginner. So I canceled the order for the 5000 and moved that topic over to the Horns forum while I make my decision.

Thanks again. This has been quite helpful!
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: cornet Reply with quote

Physical advantage of cornet: shorter length, weighs less. The sound of a cornet is mellow,soft,warm, delicate, complex and expressive. Trumpet has a cleaner sharper piercing sound.

The american style cornet sound is similar to a trumpet. Most of my playing on cornets have been on the american style cornet. For me, I feel that the feedback is better on my cornet.

Bought on ebay a Jupiter 520 M Shepherd's crook cornet. Waiting for the cornet to arrive.

I am not a accomplished musician or band director. But the sound of musicians who played the cornet as a student is more expressive. Not a fan of high note playing.
Flugelnut
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it rather surprising that there's only one respondent recommending that this young girl start on cornet.
There are at least two reasons to do so: the cornet, being shorter than a trumpet, is more comfortable to hold for a young person, and the deeper mouthpiece ensures that an acceptable sound is usually produced after less practice, which helps motivation and is easier on the neighbors as well.
To my ears anyway, beginning trumpet players tend to produce rather strident sounds while the cornet is rather mellower.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beginning on cornet has many good points. But an experienced band director posted that peer pressure for kids is immense and playing trumpet is looked as much more modern and the horn to play. I do think this should be considered.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Stay at home backup cornet Reply with quote

My suggestion is to keep the cornet at home as a backup horn. "There are at least two reasons to do so: the cornet, being shorter than a trumpet, is more comfortable to hold for a young person, and the deeper mouthpiece ensures that an acceptable sound is usually produced after less practice, which helps motivation and is easier on the neighbors as well."

I agree especially on frustration level. Never thought about the sound my neighbors hear.

An american style cornet: Bach CR 300 or Yamaha Yamaha YCR-2310 Bb Cornet could work as a secondary horn. My newly arrived Jupiter 520 m Shepherd's crook cornet has a great sound and is just so fun to play. My Yamaha 14 E cornet mouthpiece works well on it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: