• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

U trainer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: U trainer Reply with quote

Has anyone used this embouchure aid with success?
mk-trumpet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes! I've been using it for almost 2 years and it helps A LOT for endurance. Especially for my lower lip muscels it was very helpful.
I also use P.E.T.E., but the different devices support different muscles.
As with all muscle training tools, be careful to start slowly and have a lot of patience. I can recommand it highly.
For more information see http://u-trainer.info (a German website).
Manni
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, a thigh-master, but for your face.
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:

One of the sites marketing it calls it that.
http://www.eruptingmind.com/does-the-facial-flex-face-exerciser-work/

It has been discussed before.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1026657

There are a number of sites describing the same exercises - without the gizmo.
http://www.shapeyourface.com/exercise-two/
http://www.livestrong.com/article/139058-facial-exercises-mouth/
https://www.wikihow.com/Exercise-Facial-Muscles

Do not do an e-bay search. Some very disturbing images there.

Gary.

Waiting for John to tell us to put down the toys and go practice
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skip right to 0:52 where she says, "Just in the morning you put it in your mouth..."

Link

And that sums up my opinion about such gimmicks.

"Brass players are the most gullible people in the world!! They will buy anything if you tack a high note on it."
-Claude Gordon

Now "put down the toys and go practice."

Cheers,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghelbig wrote:
RandyTX wrote:

One of the sites marketing it calls it that.

Bummer, and to think I thought I was being original.
mk-trumpet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We didn't talk about funny Facial flex infomercials but about a serious tool helping to strengthen muscles you need for brass playing, developed by a brass player.
If you have time to practice 8 hours a day, then forget it. Otherwise you can save hours of playing with 15 minutes U-trainer (and/or PETE) at the end of the day. Gordon might be right with his quote, but at that time this tool didn't exist

So, you may joke about these "gimmicks", while we have the endurance to do 4 hours of lead playing if neccessary

By the way: P. Hession advertised the facial flex in the past. I think he has chops....
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a quote from Steven Mead the World's Number 1 Euphonium Soloist.

Steve writes: "I have tested this brand-new device for some weeks now and can vouch that it absolutely works! I thought my lips were already quite strong, but using this device each day is something that I intend to do from this point on. Although you can feel immediate benefit, sustained use for both brass and wind players is sure to really increase the strength of your muscles at the side of your mouth giving you much greater control. It's an absolutely brilliant new practice aid and in my opinion surpasses all other embouchure trainers on the market".

I that it should replace practice but used as a tool when you can't practice for whatever reason. Anyway I will post update(s) when I am able to trial it.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mk-trumpet wrote:
Gordon might be right with his quote, but at that time this tool didn't exist

Actually it did.

mk-trumpet wrote:
So, you may joke about these "gimmicks", while we have the endurance to do 4 hours of lead playing if neccessary

Despite having never put such a contraption in my mouth, I had the endurance to play lead trumpet in a Circus Band, three 2-1/2 hour shows a day, sometimes seven days a week for weeks in a row without a day off. And when I lived in Germany I would often have a gig with the Valendras Gala Band going from 6pm until 4 or even 5am the next morning, drive home, sleep a few hours and then get up and play 1st trumpet for the Cats matinee show at the Operettenhaus the next day.

I developed my endurance by practicing a well-balanced routine that developed air power and the control of the air power via the arching tongue, and what ever levels of face strength as were necessary.

The reason such gimmicks are gimmicks is because they are based on the false idea that huge levels of lip and facial muscle strength are needed to play high notes. That is not the case. When a player uses his wind correctly, extraordinary levels of "lip strength" (facial muscle strength) are unnecessary.

MFG,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
mk-trumpet wrote:
Gordon might be right with his quote, but at that time this tool didn't exist

Actually it did.

mk-trumpet wrote:

Despite having never put such a contraption in my mouth, I had the endurance to play lead trumpet in a Circus Band, three 2-1/2 hour shows a day, sometimes seven days a week for weeks in a row without a day off. And when I lived in Germany I would often have a gig with the Valendras Gala Band going from 6pm until 4 or even 5am the next morning, drive home, sleep a few hours and then get up and play 1st trumpet for the Cats matinee show at the Operettenhaus the next day.

I developed my endurance by practicing a well-balanced routine that developed air power and the control of the air power via the arching tongue, and what ever levels of face strength as were necessary.

The reason such gimmicks are gimmicks is because they are based on the false idea that huge levels of lip and facial muscle strength are needed to play high notes. That is not the case. When a player uses his wind correctly, extraordinary levels of "lip strength" (facial muscle strength) are unnecessary.

MFG,

John Mohan

I don’t know about anyone else, but guys who make a living ^ playing these collections of brass tubes we all like to talk about are usually the ones I pay more attention to. I’ve not tried ANY of these devices, and you can call me old fashioned (the “old” part is definitely correct), but I’m not convinced there is a valid substitute for good old time in the woodshed with a horn, metronome and method/etude books/exercises.

Just my 2 cents.

Brad
illegalbugler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may help, it may not help. But practice is free and will definitely help so I'll stick with that.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything that exercises and strengthens muscle groups used in playing the instrument has the potential to benefit the player and is not automatically a "gimmick." It takes more than air to produce reliable and solid range. It takes coordination of the muscle groups and the strength to establish and maintain that coordination as well.

None of us had our current range from day one. We developed our range through development of strength, coordination, technique and use of air. All of these elements are important, so anything that helps develop any one of them is a potential aid to improvement and should not automatically be trivialized.

Just because Claude Gordon and/or Herbert L. Clarke didn't use it, like it, endorse it or teach it doesn't automatically make it a "gimmick." Even their ideas were once considered "new" and, no doubt, were criticized by members of the "old school" at the time as "gimmicks."

Trumpet playing is essentially a physical skill and there have been lots of advances in physical education over the years. Nutrition, exercises, equipment, etc. Today's athletes are the best athletes in history and utilization of these advances is one reason why that's the case. There's no reason why there can't be advances in the things that make playing trumpet easier and better including, but not limited to, the use of devices to increase muscle strength.

With all due respect to Claude Gordon and Herbert L. Clarke, physical education in the development of the physical skills needed to play the trumpet didn't end with them. Physical education in the development of the physical skills needed to play the trumpet is and will continue to be an evolving science. Players would be well advised to keep an open mind.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there's potential value in cross-training for strength and conditioning. It's just that, so far, I've done better by identifying my highest-priority issues and working on those with playing drills instead. But I'm always open-minded about considering a new way. I won't try it during the busy season, though.
Piccolo Stomvi
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up-date on the U Trainer.

The U Trainer turned up a couple of weeks ago and I have been trialing it daily. It is a very easy piece of equipment to use. The more o-rings you add to the front the greater the resistance in the corners. Just to share a little piece of my musical history I am in my early sixties. I retired from my professional orchestra job 3 years ago and now teach brass in a music program to provide children from disadvantaged home circumstances with music lessons. I am always on the look out for anything that will help my students develop their playing. Their motto is basically variety is the spice of life and they need constant variety to encourage them to practice. I also like to keep them guessing what the old boy will bring along to the next lesson.

A preliminary review
So far the U Trainer I have discovered does strengthen the corners. I have added about 6 o-rings as the corner muscles gradually get stronger (visually and playing wise). In my retirement I also am now playing soprano cornet (small bore) in a BBB which is a 'wee beastie' and requires chop strength to withstand the resistances of the high concert Eb's and F's which sometimes need to be held for several measures, accompanied by extreme dynamics. It has certainly made these notes easier to hang onto. The other obvious benefit is that over this time my sound has brightened which I believe is due to an increase in overtones.

However before I go wild an order a trunk full of these trainers I am going to spend a few months more trialing them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: