• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Psychological perspectives related to practice and developme

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Psychological perspectives related to practice and developme Reply with quote

I'm not an MD or psychologist. However I often ponder this question,

"What is the most productive mindset to have when approaching the trumpet? Either in building chops/technique or maintaining it?

Part of my condition is that I often wonder if I'm practicing the most productive way as I can. Questions like,

Do I need to develop my improvisation as much as my range?

In a lot of ways my range is plenty adequate. But shouldnt I be learning more jazz licks and motifs? That and transposing them at will to most keys?

These are all statements made by "the inner critic". And its a voice that I believe most good trumpet players have. Some kind of critic necessary to promote development. Yet when does such a voice become a tyrant? And cant this "tyrant" also have negative consequences within a musician?

Also can anyone else here elaborate on the value of having an idol whom ypu look up to on the trumpet? Maynard had idols. Clark Terry, Miles, Harry James naming a few. And he went on to mention the greatest part about being a trumpet player is when

"You start sounding like YOU"

To my mind having trumpet players to look up to gives me purpose. That and they help motivate. A star whom you or I looks up to creates a great incentive to build new skills. That and polish up existing ones.

Lastly,
Actually one of the greatest successes Ive found from being a trumpet player is that as I start becoming a senior citizen now. An old fogie in other words... The trumpet is something I turn to more and more often. Sure other creative skills are there but on most any Wed or Mon eve of the year there are at least 17 people who need me in a band somewhere. And there's always an ego rush uon realizing that even the younger men can not cut my part. Lol.

Had I stuck to basketball? My career would have ended long ago. Trumpet is a gift which keeps on giving. And I believe this is a "fundamental" which belongs in "Fundamentals".

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Psychological perspectives related to practice and devel Reply with quote

Lionel wrote:
"What is the most productive mindset to have when approaching the trumpet?

My vote is to fill my mind with the music I want to play and how I want to sound playing it. Focus on that...
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionel,
I liked your mention of 🏀 Careers ending long ago, and unlike you I chose sports. and didn't even get to take it past college due to injurys. Had to make a choice my senior year to get the quality scholarships and I unfortunately chose track and BB. But my life turned out well and although I do regret not taking music to the limit when I had the youth and opportunities, I know that other blessings wouldn't have been there in a music career.

But NOW I'm retired like you, and every day I get up with a burning desire to be better than everything at playing than I was yesterday! Wife is Anesthetist and not ready to stop yet so I can play all day. I cant speak for anyone else but it was ingrained in me from a very early age to do your best or not bother! Also I dont really expect to be the best player, just the best I can be. In a way its also trying to get what I think I missed when I quit - my old man syndrome kicking in. I also like the modern blues guitar players and try to emulate their styles and methods, so its not something Ill master anytime in my life.
Rod
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Adam said that playing trumpet is 90% mental, 9% air, and 1% everything else.

This was not supposed to be literal, just a good concept. I would not hesitate to point anyone in the direction of his concepts to learn how to apply themselves to anything, not just trumpet.
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was all excellent input everyone thanks.

What seems to have been a long held annoyance in my attitude towards the trumpet has been that nagging "inner critic" I mentioned before. Its an inner voice which never seems satisfied. And that is an encumbrance in and of itself. As in the kind of work I perform sheer perfection is both rare and unnecessary. So if I refuse to accept some imperfections I'm headed for trouble.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always believed the biggest failure was the failure to try and with good effort! Old man **** I guess
Rod
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfection

Isn't that a term used in literary fiction?

Do you often compare your talents and skill level to those of other players? It's been my observation that talented people hold comparisons of themselves to the very talented while the moderate players tend to hold their comparisons to those they play better than. Kind of like a good player always saying "I'll never be as good as .. And the middler saying " I'm better than him". Don't know if that's what drives you, but it used to be a bit of my own problem on some things. It really helped me to just compare to myself - how I was yesterday and work from there. It also helps a lot that I don't play for food!
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is important to you what does success as a trumpeter look like.

We have different goals and success to me does not have be the same as success to you.

To my mind being in a band and playing the things that an audience expects is talent and is musicianship, but it is not success to me.

Dont get me wrong, all those things are being successful, Entertaining an audience who want to be entertained and being paid for it are a level of success. But to me this is business as usual, true success as a trumpeter surely is something more.

A trumpet can reach into the soul and touch the heart. When moving through an empty life and we hear the sound of a trumpet brought to our ears on a breath of wind we are lifted.

I do these things and more, There is not one day goes by that I am not told I have inspired or helped someone. I was happy to hear this, then I was proud to hear it, now I am humbled.

When I finish playing and I gaze at an audience member and he is crying I know I have touched his soul. When I see an audience member in a dream like state transfixed by my playing I know I have touched their heart.

I am privileged to be able to be given this gift of music that I can bring to others.

What is the most important is nothing to do with chops and technique, it is the ability to communicate to the very soul.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I began in '53 my heroes were Louis Armstrong and Harry James. I wanted to play like them, but never could. But that was okay. They were the driving force that made me want to succeed as a player.

I was never a pro like many here, but for 12 years my little 5 man combo played lots of gigs on weekends, and the thrill of it all was what Bflatman alluded to: to entertain and to get a reaction from those you entertain.

50 years later I took up the horn again. I needed something to fill a huge loss in my life: the death of my wife. Music is my salvation now and I no longer need heroes to inspire me. The memory of my wife does that. And I am once again experiencing the thrill of entertaining others...all a the tender age of 81.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Psychological perspectives related to practice and devel Reply with quote

Lionel wrote:
I'm not an MD or psychologist. However I often ponder this question,

"What is the most productive mindset to have when approaching the trumpet? Either in building chops/technique or maintaining it?

Part of my condition is that I often wonder if I'm practicing the most productive way as I can. Questions like,

Do I need to develop my improvisation as much as my range?

In a lot of ways my range is plenty adequate. But shouldnt I be learning more jazz licks and motifs? That and transposing them at will to most keys?

These are all statements made by "the inner critic". And its a voice that I believe most good trumpet players have. Some kind of critic necessary to promote development. Yet when does such a voice become a tyrant? And cant this "tyrant" also have negative consequences within a musician?

Also can anyone else here elaborate on the value of having an idol whom ypu look up to on the trumpet? Maynard had idols. Clark Terry, Miles, Harry James naming a few. And he went on to mention the greatest part about being a trumpet player is when

"You start sounding like YOU"

To my mind having trumpet players to look up to gives me purpose. That and they help motivate. A star whom you or I looks up to creates a great incentive to build new skills. That and polish up existing ones.

Lastly,
Actually one of the greatest successes Ive found from being a trumpet player is that as I start becoming a senior citizen now. An old fogie in other words... The trumpet is something I turn to more and more often. Sure other creative skills are there but on most any Wed or Mon eve of the year there are at least 17 people who need me in a band somewhere. And there's always an ego rush uon realizing that even the younger men can not cut my part. Lol.

Had I stuck to basketball? My career would have ended long ago. Trumpet is a gift which keeps on giving. And I believe this is a "fundamental" which belongs in "Fundamentals".

To pin-point: The inner critic has to be dealt with! Why so? It is inherently fun to play besides being an opportunity to indulge in kinda sensual immersing in all these sounds, emotions, shared experiences of a working musical collective- the band. And so on. We all know - hard to explain to those not playing. As Bflatman writes, the emotional communciation is the essence. In bands sharing this - something great per se. A great gift? Sure!
Like Lionel (and probably many of us here) for me the trumpet/cornet thing has become more and more important now as the "īTimes Are A Changinī" giving room for ample practicing - gigging.

But the inner critic? This fella, the haunting voice " that F, wasnīt it a bit flat eh?; oh I missed that "interjection" having counted 48 bars for nothing" you name it. I have cited a post earlier here on the TH who said "I always wanted to be perfect but I thought I was better than that" - or something to that effect. Talked straight to my heart.
I think the inner critic could be of value if you started discussing with him(her?). Why all these remarks? In my case turned out he/she was right in some respects; my embouchure wasnīt the correct one; I didnīt have a solid foundation, in spite of playing successfully many times/gigs.
For so long. It is not until now, bordering on 60 years after I put a mouthpiece to my lips, I feel that confidence, stemming from formal lessons and hard, dedicated work, finally accepting "now I sound like me", may not be perfect, but good enough. At the same time, always wanting to get better, to know more, discovering new horizons is also a powerful incentive. You gotta reconcile with yourself, easy to say but.....
As Georg B points out, there were heroes, Harry, Louis, but for some reason I found Bunny Berigan, poor guy, didnīt last long. But I never could ge started - always the inner critic pulled my leg/lip, until the other day, when, what an epiphany, I finally was able to play I canīt get started, Bunnyīs notes, but my sound.

So what is the most productive mindset? I would like to rephrase the question: "To be yourself or to act yourself - thatīs the question".
I am a psychologist for sure, a skilled one to that, didnīt come easy, a whole lotta dedication was needed, but foremost I am me, a human being, who then decided to become also a professional, in that order.
May sound pretentious but it is my sincere belief.
If only I had thought so in the beginning.....playing could have started to become a lot more rewarding - not to say I havenīt enjoyed it immensly - yet without all inner comparions with... Bunny, Maurice, Harry
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionel, you might enjoy reading the book The Inner Game of Tennis, by W. Timothy Gallwey. It discusses ideas about the most productive mindset for learning and maintaining skills for something like tennis. It goes into depth about dealing with the inner critic. It's become a very popular book because these ideas are transferable to other pastimes that also require a high level of skill (like trumpet playing) and a mindset that fosters learning and skill development.
Piccolo Stomvi
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here- read this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Engine-Could-Original-Classic/dp/0448405202/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506258012&sr=8-1&keywords=the+little+engine+that+could
lewins

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for the Inner Game of Tennis. It's a fantastic book, and it applies to far more than just tennis. Some of us struggle mightily with the inner critic that you describe, and this book has been a help to me. There have been several specific follow ups, like the Inner Game of Golf and the Inner Game of Work. I think there is even an Inner Game of Music, but I don't think it's from the same author. Another great book along the same line is Effortless Mastery by Kenny Werner.
halfgreek12
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Eckhart Tolle on youtube
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly found myself looking for the 'Next Thing" while listening to him. I always found it more useful to live life versus philosophizing about it.

SKIP

Sorry
Rod
halfgreek12
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting perspective. Living in the present moment is all about not looking for the next thing so I believe you are right.
Air Molecules Mover
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

halfgreek12 wrote:
Check out Eckhart Tolle on youtube

More specifically his book "The Power of Now"
He is talking a lot about the "tyrant" the OP mentionned...
Leaps and bounds in all aspects of life (which could include trumpet playing I guess ) are in order after such a reading !

Best to you all !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: