• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mel Broiles The Art of Trumpet Playing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Mel Broiles The Art of Trumpet Playing Reply with quote

I have just downloded this method from qpress. Has anyone used this method? The opening notes by William Thieke have commonsense advice and information.
timothyquinlan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, this is Tim from qPress. I have always thought this book was interesting, because it was repackaged and made to look like Mel Broiles wrote it himself. William Thicke’s original book was called "Daily Studies" and subtitled “Common Sense Lip & Tone Development with Focus on Pressure (correctly applied) vs Non Pressure.”

Broiles loved it so much he teamed up with Colin Music and adapted all of it.

The original is here for anyone who is interested. It is full of great stuff and is worth a look.
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an original printing courtesy of the actual publisher. His great nephew and I were at music school together and when I met his great uncle he gave me a pristine copy.
The original publisher was H. Bechler (shorted from Bechteler) in Milwaukee.
It really is a good book with some of the exercises are extremely taxing and difficult.
R. Tomasek
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inquiring minds need to know...

...does the qPress version include the reference to his pet rabbit?

(This is possibly my favourite sentence in any trumpet method ever.)
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timothyquinlan wrote:
Hi there, this is Tim from qPress. I have always thought this book was interesting, because it was repackaged and made to look like Mel Broiles wrote it himself. William Thicke’s original book was called "Daily Studies" and subtitled “Common Sense Lip & Tone Development with Focus on Pressure (correctly applied) vs Non Pressure.”

The original is here for anyone who is interested. It is full of great stuff and is worth a look.

Thanks Tim for the update. I thought erroneously that William Thieke (The Theicke Method) wrote the book I purchased from you and Mel Broiles endorsed it. When you type William Thieke on your search engine the original doesn't show only the Mel Broiles edition. Oh well maybe you should make this clear on your website? Just saying.
timothyquinlan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet56 wrote:
timothyquinlan wrote:

Thanks Tim for the update. I thought erroneously that William Thieke (The Theicke Method) wrote the book I purchased from you and Mel Broiles endorsed it. When you type William Thieke on your search engine the original doesn't show only the Mel Broiles edition. Oh well maybe you should make this clear on your website? Just saying.

It shows up for me when I do a search. I see some searches in the history with incorrect spelling so that could be it. I rarely do a search, I just use the author drop down, but I’m not sure if most people search the catalogue that way.
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 'pulled this one out again' and forgot how good it really was. I have the Mel Broiles/Colin version - might not be the 'full deluxe' version Tim has at QP.

To me, the biggest strength of this particular book, and what sets it apart from many others, are the first 65-75% of the exercises where you can really 'exercise the aperture' and airflow because of all the big dynamic changes. All the best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: