• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New Book by Charlier

View previous topic :: View next topic  
timothyquinlan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: New Book by Charlier Reply with quote

Hi everyone, it has been a long time since I gave an update here and I wanted to let you know about an amazing project I just wrapped up at qPress.

I discovered a brass method written by Theo Charlier that I had never heard of. I found the one copy in a public institution in all of North America, and worked with a colleague to translate it into English for the first time. With just a few small adaptations, this book stands as a fantastic complete method for the trumpet, with brand new sets of Charlier etudes and lots of exercises and instruction as well. These are closer to an intermediate level compared to his Transcendental Studies, and are a great way to bridge the gap to those more complex and technical etudes.

Below I will quote a bit from my foreword. If you are interested in taking a look you can see it right here. Print and Digital copies available, and you can get both for 20% off for the next few days using promo code SEPT2017.

Some details:

“When Charlier wrote this brass method, he was coming from a time when players were still learning from the works of the old masters. These methods were complete and well composed, but they did not take into account the challenges that modern composers were impressing upon 20th century brass players. It was his hope that this method would be an extension of their work, with lessons covering larger intervals, more complicated rhythmic structures, distant modulations, and accessories like mutes. Its original title targets this method at the French Horn player, but the exercises and teachings (combined with Charlier’s history of compositions for the trumpet and trombone) suggest that this work should remain as a method for all valved brass.”

“We know the remarkable body of work that this virtuosic trumpeter has written for his instrument. His book of studies can be found at the best conservatories and music studios all over the world nearly a century later, and remains the benchmark for expressive and technical writing for brass. His 36 Transcendental Studies is the pinnacle of modern brass writing, but it is also tremendously difficult for the younger player to approach. Finally, with this Complete Method for Trumpet, there exists a collection of progressive studies that will bridge this gap for aspiring players, while offering a wealth of new material for the seasoned player at the same time.”
~ Timothy Quinlan
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: new book by charlier Reply with quote

Just ordered one and paid via Paypal. Didn't say anything regarding shipping. How will it be shipped and how long to get the book out to me???? Thanks, Butch
TRUMPE: YAMAHA Lacq. "Shew Gen II" / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "TKO" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
timothyquinlan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, thanks for your order. It will be ordered from the printer today and will arrive within 10 business days. Usually much sooner.

Thanks for your interest, you are going to love it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: