• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Regarding a scarce 1980 Don Smithers double LP

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CranstonSnord

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Regarding a scarce 1980 Don Smithers double LP Reply with quote

There was an interesting double LP recording released in 1980 titled “Two Centuries of Trumpet” featuring Don Smithers in the first serious attempt to break away from the anachronistic “Baroque trumpet” (the modern-day hybrid with venting holes) and record using a purely natural trumpet. (Smithers plays a natural instrument throughout; on some tracks it sounds like other players are also going “holeless,” while on others it’s clear that everyone other than Smithers is playing a vented instrument.)

The performances are rather ragged, to put it kindly. In fact, if I recall correctly, Smithers even makes it a point in the liner notes to emphasize the sort of “experimental” nature of the recording. (As if to hint, “Don’t expect perfection here, folks!”) Additionally, Smithers seems to oddly break with common practice of the era by lipping the 14th harmonic (the flat B-flat) DOWN rather than lipping the 13th harmonic UP to produce a written A.

In spite of all that, it’s worth owning, as it is a rather hard to find item, and I’m pretty sure that a few of the more obscure pieces on the album have never been recorded commercially anywhere else. I had a copy years ago (probably bought it when it was still an “in stock” item), but like many things in my life (including love, money, and sanity) it has been lost to the ages.

The thing is, it was apparently only released on vinyl (Philips 6769 056 Stereo). CDs were still a couple of years away, and as far as I can determine, the album was never re-released.

The LP is available here and there, but I have no means to play vinyl. Is it possible that someone has a copy of this and is willing to rip the tracks into mp3s? Or if you don’t own it now, maybe someone would be intersted in purchasing one for their collection, then allow me to reimburse them (assuming the price was reasonable; like, under $20) in exchange for digital copies?

Appreciate any help you can offer on this quest. Thanks!
ProAm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick Google search shows a website listing one for sale in the Netherlands if you are in Europe.

https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/448886194?ev=bp_det

It also gives you some more details, such as track listings, on that album. Or maybe that's where you found the number you gave.

I bought Don Smithers Philips recordings in the 70's but I don't recall ever seeing that one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: