• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Charles Colin Advanced Lip Flexibilities Page 24

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rlk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Charles Colin Advanced Lip Flexibilities Page 24 Reply with quote

fnchdrms87
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - like I said in the other thread, I believe G# is an egregious error. In the all open valve combination, the next partial up from F# from the previous set of exercises is G NATURAL, not G#. This is even reiterated in the back of the back of the book with the sections that are labeled "lip trilling to high G" etc. etc.
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My book is the same. Also, my "Expanding Range to A Above High C" stops at the bottom of the page pictured (doesn't continue onto the next page).
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
rufflicks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fnchdrms87,

I did not know if you were asking the question because your book was missing the page or if the G# in the open pattern was the issue. So all I was doing was ruling this out. Now that we know definitively that you have the page let's look at clues. Okay lets examine the previous patterns within the exercise . The previous pattern ends on an F double sharp, this is not a typical 2nd valve note. Nor does it follow the natural scale from 1 to 5. The open horn no valves pressed follows this same pattern. I believe all the valve positions follow this pattern. Is there not an interval of a minor 3rd that leads to the highest note on all the patterns in this exercise. The exercise is called “Expanding Range to G# above High C". One could, at the risk of being called a simpleton, conclude the exercise has been published correctly.

Is this a good way to get to this note I think is a better question. Was this exercise a mistake? Hard to say but it is there in the book and labeled correctly as far as reaching the goal of G# above high C. I am not a fan of this way to reach this note but it is there and it is a challenge.

Sorry to have misunderstood your question as I though the book was clear in the pattern intent.

Best, Jon

Remember this is supposed to be fun.
comebackcornet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruff -

Your willingness to respond to this issue again in such a calm way is extremely commendable given the prior responses to your attempt to help.

Well done sir.
rufflicks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Sir thank you for the kind words.

I always try to think of being on the internet like being in a bar. You don’t know mood, sobriety, intent, or context so do your best to keep it light. In this way I have kept from getting into altercations both in the real and virtual night club environment. I looked at some of his other posts and post comments. He reminds me of an old friend of mine. A little intense to be sure and it seems he gets a bit wound up at times but nothing I haven't seen before.

So all that aside:

On page 43 we find the previous studies to the one in question. It is titled “Expanding Range to F# Above High C”. There is no Expanding Range to F above High C. This study seems to be missing. One could postulate that page 43 - 46 are meant to go F above high C not F#. If this is chosen to be the correct way to play this then page 46 - 47 could logically be altered to G above High C and the following exercise would then be as written, A above high C. This last exercise is incomplete but one should be able to figure out the ascending pattern and finger positions at this point. I do not know if this was a publishing error, the only one that does is no longer able to tell us.

If the O.P. would have taken the time to develop a hypothesis such as I did, then I would have simply stated that his theory was logical and could be a way to approach that section of the book. The theory that it is a publishing error might be supported in Vol. 3. In section 5-C through 8-C you see the same ascending note progression; E above high C to F# above High C with no exercise for F above High C. Here however you have G above High C as the next set of exercises not G#. Then A above High C. So what was the original intent? Unknown!

This book has several things that I find a bit confusing. In Vol 1 why would # 6 not Follow #2. and #10 follow #6. I suppose they are there to break up the other expanded studies. It seems he should have offered this pattern one more time up one overtone before Etude No. IV. Why does Etude No. V not start on #15 as this seems to be the starting point of this type of study.

So sad I won’t have this discussion because we got off on the wrong foot….Oh well.

Best, Jon

RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TH has a quite a bad rep externally for being a cess pool of fighting.

Meanwhile, Jon Ruff is such a nice and helpful person. Maybe he'll turn out to be contagious.
rufflicks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well plenty have told me I am sick....

Sustained note
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

comebackcornet wrote:
Ruff -

Your willingness to respond to this issue again in such a calm way is extremely commendable given the prior responses to your attempt to help.

Well done sir.

I too was very impressed by Mr. Ruff's attitude. And his instructional videos are gems.

Giv'at Shmuel
Israel

Trumpet: Schilke B1 (2005)
Mouthpiece: Schilke Soloiste MG1
(Marc Geujon) gold plated
----------------

Keep a sense of humor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: