• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Wet or dry lips for your high notes? Let's take a poll.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:46 am    Post subject: Wet or dry lips for your high notes? Let's take a poll. Reply with quote

It hasnt been discussed in many chop books. I almost feel like it is the "dirty little secret" for lots of good lead players. First time I read about it was in Reinhardt's literature and he advised against it in his encyclopedia of the Pivot System.

But the fact is that he noticed it in many a strong high note player. And Trumpetherald's old friend Chris LaBarbera (fantastic pro out of the East coast) has stated many times that Reinhardt privately admitted the words that,

"If you really want all the range you can get? Play dry".

But again publicly he advised against.

I can not derive any advantage by playing dry. Or at least not like it adding any serious register to my range. Not like the fascinating true story Lynn Nicholson occassionally shares. About how he as a mere high school band player went for a squeaky high G but didnt have time to wet his lips. Instead of a weak high G? A massive double C resulted. Its a great story.

As I said, my chops do not respond much better dry than wet. That and I tend to lose some flexibility. However as my range and endurance have improved greatly the past two years Ive finally decided to get my top lip a little bit less wet. At the start of long phrases.

So? Let's not make a formal poll. But just answer these rwo questions,

1. Do you have a solid, musical sounding G above high C? And,

2. Do you prefer some kind of dry lip setting or not? Please specify which lip or lips you retain either dry or eet. Like if you keep your upper dry and lower wet? Thst was Maynard's setting. And you can watch him dry his upper lip many times. The "La Pagiacci" performed live at Knotts Berry Farm shows him doing this several times.

I cant help but notice Mark Zauss dry his chops at Disneyworld with Future Corps. Louis Armstrong always carried the hankerchief to dry his chops. But boy did that dry lip texture burn the hell out of him. And Bill Chase had the most frightening scars from dry lip play Ive ever seen.

Me? Like I said, wet mostly. That and no major advantage. All of my strength must come from my facial muscles. But once they get near bionic in strength? I start to get similar results as the big guys do. And my original method for high notes was Maggio. He insisted upon wet lips. And his was a pedal book. Most pedal tone players use wet lips I think. That and more forward jaw types prefer dry.

These are just my observations anyway. And I am fallible. So? Have at it! And thanks in advance for your input.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionel
I'm just starting to get that G back but not where I want it yet. Ive been working a book called 'corners' by Allan Colin and it is very brief but intense if you really follow and concentrate on detail. In his instructions on one exercise he instructs you to pull horn from face and reset embouchere each tome and wet the lips each time. After 2 months I am finding that this is becoming habit. I always played dry but i am only now doing higher notes with less pressure which allows me to hold my range at least an hour longer.

I could be wrong because I am not using an instructor on this, but the wetting of the lips in this case is to help make sure the appeture is open slightly at the start of the note - for whatever reason I seem to be on the 14 squared rule, if I do it 14 times a day for 14 days it becomes habit. So in my case I think the wetting of the lips is a part of something else that is improving the way I play, not the wet lips per se. You probably want to hear from those hi chop guys, but I thought this an interesting aside. Maybe those guys read the same book and got such marvelous chops by getting this habit, hope so - its about time for some accelerated advancement!!!
Rod
rufflicks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the lethal combination is dry upstream.

Remember this is supposed to be fun.
bnsd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play moist... not quite one or the other. But when my lips gets sweaty (hot stage) if it gets too wet I lose some range

My G is not totally consistent during a song, but I can play it any day, just with differing strength

yeah... I know that means I don't really own it yet.
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rufflicks wrote:
I think the lethal combination is dry upstream.

John, always appreciate your tips. You recommended a service called Scriptd that I love and have looked at and found a lot of material on anything.

Give me one (some) book or person that can really get the appeture and tongue working to the max - anyone please.

Rod
rufflicks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod,

Yours is the classic magic bullet request.

I think Jim Manley is one of the best recipes for extreme upper register playing.

Best, Jon

Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rufflicks wrote:
Rod,

Yours is the classic magic bullet request.

I think Jim Manley is one of the best recipes for extreme upper register playing.

Best, Jon

Jon,
Again thanks, you and KO had recommended Jim prior and I did follow up with 4 lessons and was very successful. In 4 lessons he took me from a g above staff to a hi e without too much strain. I still do the exercises (that he gave me on 4 lessons) about 1-2 times a week. I took his words as spoken and just did it, and thought it was all about the soft volume ascending drills. I have a fairly large area of improvement to attack and simply got out of the habit of doing them as much. And now that I think about what he was teaching - it really looks like appeture control as I envision it and learning to depend less on air volume. I need to plug back into Jim now that I have gained a little more knowledge and am starting to see more of what's behind it all. AND for sure take it beyond 4 lessons. It is very similar to the work in Collin and Chimera. I would probably be way ahead just to do stuff, but I do like to understand what its all about. Again, thanks and Ill skype with Jim soon again. A great guy just to talk to as well as being good at this.
Rod
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Hirt played dry, played a Jet-Tone, I believe would be classified as upstream (?) and as far as I've been able to tell had about a G. I've never heard him play higher - and he sounded like he was working for that G.

Doc didn't play dry and had a musical Eb over dub C. I don't know what the absolute highest note he ever played was. At least as important Doc's sound was superb. Don't dry players tend to get brittle and raspy?
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
lmao_a_horn_player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I have not really thought about this for more than around a minute until today, but I know many people who play either moist or dry they seem to be doing fine in the high register. All I'm trying to say is if you can't find anything in literature, go with your gut. Whatever feels better for you (I personally play with a light coat of Carmex)
rufflicks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brisbois upstream, Jin Manley dry, Johnny Madrid upstream dry.

Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
Al Hirt played dry, played a Jet-Tone, I believe would be classified as upstream (?) and as far as I've been able to tell had about a G. I've never heard him play higher - and he sounded like he was working for that G.

Doc didn't play dry and had a musical Eb over dub C. I don't know what the absolute highest note he ever played was. At least as important Doc's sound was superb. Don't dry players tend to get brittle and raspy?

Good that you mentioned Al Hirt. An outstanding player. Great ease of playing. Yes he was a classic "upstream" but I just like to say "forward jaw" trumpet player. And thats just my opinion. I never liked the terms "downstream" and "upstream" but my rationale for my concept is too detailed.

Ive always thought that Doc and Brisbois were very similar trumpet players. Excellent very efficient natural embouchures. Similar tones.

Dry lip players get lots of injuries. This was most evident in Satchmo and Chase. I only met Bill face to face once but ai will never forget the scar tissue on his face... Good lord he had scars from facial surgery to repair his lip. An otherwise very handsome man who probably should have been in the movies just due to his extreme good looks. Yet his lips were just frightening. And this due I think to a lifetime of setting his mouthpiece dry.

Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionel wrote:
Dry lip players get lots of injuries. This was most evident in Satchmo and Chase. I only met Bill face to face once but ai will never forget the scar tissue on his face... Good lord he had scars from facial surgery to repair his lip. An otherwise very handsome man who probably should have been in the movies just due to his extreme good looks. Yet his lips were just frightening. And this due I think to a lifetime of setting his mouthpiece dry.

I hadn't been aware of this - it wasn't obvious from photos I've seen of him. Given how torn up Bill's chops were before he was even 40 do you think his days of playing the way he did with CHASE were numbered if he'd lived?

It seems Al Hirt's playing declined very obviously from his 1960's heyday. He could still play but it seems when he got into his 50's the fantastic powerhouse, swing for the fences bravura he used to display on a regular basis wasn't there anymore, whereas in his 50's Doc seemed to get stronger and stronger.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
Lionel wrote:

Given how torn up Bill's chops were before he was even 40 do you think his days of playing the way he did with CHASE were numbered if he'd lived?

It seems Al Hirt's playing declined very obviously from his 1960's heyday. He could still play but it seems when he got into his 50's the fantastic powerhouse, swing for the fences bravura he used to display on a regular basis wasn't there anymore, whereas in his 50's Doc seemed to get stronger and stronger

Good question(s). And would require much speculation on my part. Well except that in Bill's case he seemed to have only recently mastered the art of "pressure-less playing". And he was most powerfully encouraging others to break the habit of jamming the horn to get high notes. So with that in mind? My presumption isvthay he still be alive today. Were it not for that terrifying and most unfortunate crash.

However you should ask me about his neck puff. Now that was something. As Chase seemed to speak very softly. This may have grown worse over time. Perhaps his neck puff may have forced him out of music.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: