• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How to cure a double buzz

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilktone wrote:
That's a frustrating problem that I've personally dealt with a couple of times. For me, the solutions were different each time. There are several different things that can cause or contribute to a double buzz and without being able to watch you play in person it's really hard for any of us to give you targeted advice. Sometimes what helps fix one type of double buzz will make the problem worse, so it really would be best if you can meet up with a knowledgeable teacher.

Hey Dave. Good video. Not enough hair though (just kidding). The dreaded double buzz. Usually fixable by really soft practicing so that the very delicate lip tissue can firm up enough to sound the way you want it to. Clarke technical studies is a good place to start, but don't overdo it, and allow a few days for your lips to firm up to the point where the double buzz goes away. Also there are several good tips in Dave's video, but be prepared for the hair.
trumpetnz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plp wrote:
PiCK Kanstul wrote:
personally, I've been trying to cultivate mine for a while. it's the coolest thing when it's really working I can play octaves.
It is easier to get if I'm a little tired, and if i want to 'fix' it, it is in the lower lip which is rolled inside out just a bit. so I just bring it back in, and it's normal.

For the developed player, it is called multiphonics when you can do it on demand, for the rest of us hacks it is an uncontrollable annoyance.

For the perpetual beginner such as myself, it is just one of the stages to endure until muscle memory gets better. Soft playing and long tones will get me through it quicker than anything else.

Of the roughly 20 times I have started from scratch over the past 8 years, not once have I avoided the double buzz. It may last a couple days, it may last a week. It may only show up when I'm tired, or may be a constant companion every time I play a note.

The one thing I do know about it is, it is temporary. It will eventually go away as I develop control and endurance, and I view it as simply an indicator of transition.

The advise above from plp I have found to be very helpful. Thanks plp !
As a very recent comeback player (after around 10 years off) I was also struck by this double buzz issue, having never had it before or even heard of it really. For me the double buzz was exactly how most have described it - it always appeared mainly paying A or C in the staff on long notes . It sounded like a drone and I'm pretty sure was a an octave or perfect 5th below the note I was playing. It wasn't always there but certainly appeared not long after starting a practice. I've been back playing now for about 3 months and it took around 2 months for this issue to finally go away !! I tried everything I could from different mouthpieces & sizes (bach, schilke, monette), different trumpets, different practice routines, embouchures etc... In the end nothing I did would magically make it go away - in the end it was simply just 'time'. I probably did start back a little too enthusiastically trying to play 'as I used to'.

So here are my tips for getting rid of a double buzz (for a comeback player).
1. Read and print out plp's quote and read it every day, it's good advice.
2. Start slowly, say only 5 - 10 mins a day. Don't play and higher than an F (top-line). Don't over exert. Rest as much as your play. Remain patient ! Confidence is the key here and will come with patience.
3. I found starting with H. L. Clarke technical studies for cornet, First Study (soft chromatic increases) very good. Vincent Chicowitz long tone studies are also good.
4. I previously played professionally so I have the luxury of drawing on many years of lessons with different teachers, masterclasses etc. Had this issue not have gone away I would have been seeking lessons form a pro for sure - so I would recommend that if it continues.

Over time lip strength and flexibility will increase, and your confidence will return.
Let me know if I can be of any more help.
Nigel
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new school year is upon us, along with marching band season, and many young, developing players blowing out their chops and getting confounded by their results. So it seems like a good time to resurrect this thread, and point out if you encounter a double buzz, just maybe you should try BACKING OFF.

What does this mean, exactly? Maybe it mainly means "don't blow so hard," but simple phrases often don't improve our playing as much as intelligent, diligent practice. So here's a way of practicing 'backing off' that has worked well for me:

Starting on the highest note you can play, single tongue your way down chromatically 10 notes. I do 3 sets of triplets and then hold the last note long enough to center the pitch, and sound. Then do the same thing, down half a step. Continue down to low F#.

The idea here is to play as quietly as you can with control, but starting on the highest note you can play may require some volume. It's great practice, but concentrate on getting quieter as you go, without sacrificing tone. Also work on articulation speed. Triple tonguing this will further refine your airstream. When I double tongue it I run an octave, 3 sets of sixteenth notes. Regardless which articulation you use, it connects your quiet playing to the powerful playing that's in demand, and develops finesse which is what will keep your chops out of trouble.
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a teacher but I see something worth saying, take it as you will.

Many players find a problem and ask for a fix for it, then they find another problem and ask for a fix for that before long their play is supported by a range of fixes.

I take the opposite view. If you need a fix that means something is wrong. You dont need a fix you need to go back to the good basics that served you well and are the foundation of good playing.

This is what many of the quick fixes are doing anyway but presented as a fix.

Bob Hope in a comedy movie had to face a gunfighter and he was given lots of advice "If he leans the right lean to the left, if he crouches to the ground stand on your toes, if he ducks to the left crouch to the right" Before long he was unable to think or to walk.

Paralysis through analysis in action.

Whenever I have encountered a problem I have backed off and gone back to basics and worked on my playing from the ground up. It is a good approach.

Correct playing fixes everything.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I've had this problem, but only when playing on my largest mouthpieces (a Schilke 19, a Bach 1X, and to a lessor extent a Bach 1B underpart with a Bach 1X rim), and only when I have have practiced or performed a lot on a particular day. It would typically happen if I was to play a high note and then immediately play a low note (ie playing a High C followed by a low C). And for whatever reason, the G# in the staff was another note that tended to get that dreaded growl of a double buzz.

When I moved to a slightly smaller mouthpiece for legit playing made for me by James New that combined the rim shape and size of Arturo Sandoval's MV3C with the cup of a Bach 3B (with a #22 Throat and #24 Symphonic Backbore) the problem disappeared.

If you're playing a large mouthpiece you might try moving to a slightly smaller one.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons available - Click on the e-mail button if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
deleted_user_19c01b1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I have the double buzz too. And I agree that it is an annoying problem, more likely to occur when I am just warming up or when I am tired.

I try these, one of them usually works.
- Increase or decrease the hole, that is, open or close my jaws a little bit
- More or less air
- Move my jaw forward or backward
- Changing the angle of the instrument to be more centered
- Last but not least, rest!

I'm talking about tiny changes, nothing awkward.

I don't think it matters how you solve it.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lack of energy in your sound.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If John Mohan says that "smaller would be better", you should listen to his advice !!!
i'm not sure we'll hear from him such a thing another time in our lives !

More seriously, i think he's right, it's one of the possible reasons.

best
Sustained note
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:56 am    Post subject: Double buzz - a very good post Reply with quote

I get the double buzz only on the following in-the-staff notes: C#, D, Eb, E.
I don't have this problem below or above those.
Anyway, I appreciate the advice given so far and will attempt to utilize some of the tips given.

Giv'at Shmuel
Israel

Trumpet: Schilke B1 (2005)
Mouthpiece: Schilke Soloiste MG1
(Marc Geujon) gold plated
----------------

Keep a sense of humor.
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The O/P's description could use some more explaining. He didnt say which notes were sustaining two tones.
However from my experience the most commo series of annoying double tones occurs in the series of notes starting on your tuning note B flat concert. Or our C natural for the B flat instrument. In fact that whole 4th harmonic series, from C down to A flat can produce these most unpleasant matters. Like C, B nat, B flat, A, A flat

Cause? Is overtrained chops. So whatever you choose to do to treat it? Do not over do it!. Instead find another way of strengthening your chops without continuing to over do it.

If it was me? I'd take a couple days off just to recoup my chops. Get rid of the swelling and stiffness. Then and only then would I start a rigorous program of isometrics. Buiding my embouchure muscles to the poit where the chops become perhaps 3x stroger than they were before. And this post explains a reason why we see more woodwind experts than trumpets. As the trumpet is a highly physicai instrument. And for many f us (the ones not endowed with gifted chops? We're going to need to increase the strength in our chops several ties more than that.

The same reason why you cant find many athetes able to perform 20 pull ups?

Same reason you dont find many trumpet players who own the double C. They dont want to do the work.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
MrOlds
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This

abontrumpet wrote:
Make sure you are breathing.

Start sounding good... like really good. It'll go away... don't focus on it, just focus on the beautiful sound.

Everybody is different so the suggestions that people have physically should be taken with a grain of salt. What is equal for everybody is that when they are sounding good, things are correct. Since we don't know what is correct (unless you could magically fell all the muscles in your body and to what degree they are working), we know when everything is in harmony by the quality of sound we are producing.

I would add:

Find out how long you can sound good before the problems start. For the next days/weeks/months play less than that before taking a break. The object is to build a new habit where you always sound good.

Once that's established, gradually add more. More time. More dynamics. Wider range. More challenging exercises.

How long? It takes as long as it takes.

You don't want to be the world's greatest practicer of exercises so be sure to carve out time to work on music. When you play music you should only think about how you want the piece to sound. The musical story you want to tell. Not at all about how to play the instrument.

Best regards,
Sustained note
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:
It's often just a matter of firming up the lower lip slightly, especially if you're experiencing the problems below, say, Middle C. (That would be the first ledger below the staff.) Try pushing forward very slightly with your jaw or thinking about gripping where the mouthpiece outer edge contacts the lips. Nothing radical, just a bit. Many times we get lazy and allow the lower lip to loosen its seal against the bottom teeth. Good luck.

I tried your approach last Tuesday at the band rehearsal and this did the trick.
Thank you Craig. And thanks to shofarguy and Wilktone who also sided with this approach, that attention must be paid also to the lower lip, to the lower embouchure and to try and avoid being "lazy" with it.

Giv'at Shmuel
Israel

Trumpet: Schilke B1 (2005)
Mouthpiece: Schilke Soloiste MG1
(Marc Geujon) gold plated
----------------

Keep a sense of humor.
BrianCade1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem a few years back. Pitch bends and mouthpiece practice solved it. I suggest "15 Advanced Emboucure Studies" by David Hickman and "The Buzzing Book" by James Thompson, exercises 1-4 and 9.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: