• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Born To Be Blue

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Born To Be Blue Reply with quote

I just saw the movie today. It's kind of a snapshot of a period in Chet's life after he reached fame. I don't know if it's totally accurate and it doesn't try to be, but the story is true. I won't say too much.
I will comment on the trumpet playing and music which is outstanding. According to the credits the playing is by Kevin Turcotte and his playing is great.
Ethan Hawke was really good except when he played trumpet. I know it's a movie and no one will notice but us, but he used 13 and 123 a LOT. Looked stupid. And in one scene his 3rd valve is sticking but that didn't stop him!
As far as the horn it looks like a Bundy or Bach student model.
All in all I thought it was good and worth the $6 Sunday matinee price.
But don't take my word for it because I liked Whiplash too.

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the trailer for this and it did look like some of the scenes were staged based based on the famou Bill Claxton photos. I have his book with the contact sheets of the films he shot at Redondo beach and they were taken in the house next door to the one Chet was living in with Halima at the time.

An interesting concept for a film, but I am not sure if it will be screened here in the UK.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the first two minutes of this film this morning and just couldn't get past the trumpet playing scenes with the fingerings. It just bothered me two much. I never gave it a chance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: