• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

If you could start over again

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have a huge advantage if I could turn 9 years old again and start learning the trumpet. Plus with the exact knowledge of the future would purchase only those mouthpieces which would prove to match my chops well and work best at each state of my development.

I'd also make better decisions. Like refuse to go to that party with Karen Douglas. She the total "Run Around Sue".

Not to mention I'd buy tons of Apple Computer stock and sell short United and American airlines the week before 9/11... I'd be a little like that jerk "Biff" in "Back To The Future..."

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
windandsong
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately would have invested more time from day one in long notes and fundamentals.

Developed a decent mouthpiece position with more bottom lip in the cup/less pivot.
#7 pipe
matthes93401
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a youngster, start out with a more positive mindset, less focus on mistake avoidance, more big picture thinking. Attend live performances in various genres, theatre, other arts.
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately play guitar. Even mid level pro guitar players can get in a band and hit it big. Brass players are not really appreciated because the sound is limited when compared to electric instruments. I for one would use everything I could hook up (if I had the talent) to play electric blues thru the trumpet. We will never do chords, but almost every thing else but the 8 octaves could be done if you were good enough. Guys like Jeff Beck and Joe Bonnamassa show the full capabilities of that instrument and no trumpet player will ever equal their speed and agility it simply isn't possible, but they may be as close to mastery as humans can get. The fact that more can be musically done on a guitar is why I would change instruments - after my junior year in hi school seeing a good big band was a major trip as fewer existed. Rock was everywhere and guys who coldnt play as well as a 8th grade music student were getting rich! I saw no economic future in playing brass even as a top player, that cooked it for me for 47 years. If you mean changes as a trumpet player - simply sticking with it. Everything but the money would have taken care of itself.
Glad I never had to make a 'living' that way, but twice as gld I can enjoy it now
Rod
windandsong
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played more piano from the off. Invaluable harmonic tool and a creative place to be!!
#7 pipe
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you piano player, guitar player wannabes - what the hell are you doing on a trumpet forum?

You either like the entire trumpet shtick, or you don't. I don't get it.
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMrtn wrote:
All you piano player, guitar player wannabes - what the hell are you doing on a trumpet forum?

Trying to play music on the only instrument I know how to make music on. I’m sure if you think about this there are a lot of things about the trumpet shtick you aren’t fond of either. What trumpet player who ever did a ride on a song or was involved in fast improv didn’t wish for an octave key or the easy fast fingerings of tenor sax. Or wished they had the 11 octaves in a piano to express themselves. To me its just about enjoying making music, and listening to music. And personally I would rather listen to a great guitar player, that’s OK isn’t it? And to wish my instrument was capable and easier to do all those things.? And to wish that great trumpet players could count on 7 figure salaries instead of being lucky to live without a second income? Doesn’t seem like there is much to get. I love the trumpet and will try to become as good as I can, but if I had put as many hours into guitar, I feel my skill level and ability to be a working (well paid) musician would be much higher. You simply cant argue the economics.
Rod
dkwolfe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have looked for better teachers when I was just starting off. My first teacher was fine, but the next couple were more concerned with what equipment I used than the sound I produced. They were local (paid) orchestra members, but they couldn't see past the bell of their Bach 37 (great horn, but they just don't work for me). I would have found someone who focused on sound quality from the beginning, and then built on that.

YMMV
D
roccotrumpetsiffredi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Haney wrote:
Definately play guitar. Even mid level pro guitar players can get in a band and hit it big. Brass players are not really appreciated because the sound is limited when compared to electric instruments. I for one would use everything I could hook up (if I had the talent) to play electric blues thru the trumpet. We will never do chords, but almost every thing else but the 8 octaves could be done if you were good enough. Guys like Jeff Beck and Joe Bonnamassa show the full capabilities of that instrument and no trumpet player will ever equal their speed and agility it simply isn't possible, but they may be as close to mastery as humans can get. The fact that more can be musically done on a guitar is why I would change instruments - after my junior year in hi school seeing a good big band was a major trip as fewer existed. Rock was everywhere and guys who coldnt play as well as a 8th grade music student were getting rich! I saw no economic future in playing brass even as a top player, that cooked it for me for 47 years. If you mean changes as a trumpet player - simply sticking with it. Everything but the money would have taken care of itself.
Glad I never had to make a 'living' that way, but twice as gld I can enjoy it now
Rod

The problem with the guitar is it doesn't sound like a trumpet. That's the main thing. One you pluck a string to make a wave, the other, you blow and turn yourself into the wave;)
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the problem of being born with far less than ideal physical tools to play trumpet but I was really smitten with the instrument. I remember when we first got our rental instruments in school. When I got back to class I had the case open on the floor under my desk just staring at it - and got hollered at by the teacher for not paying attention.

Then had nothing but embouchure problems.

It would be great to start off knowing what I know now as far as embouchure issues unique to me and how to function more comfortably on the instrument which I sense no teacher could have imparted. Certainly no teacher I encountered was able to help. I don't know if my parents would have been on board with little kid me telling them I needed to shave the length of my incisors down. I would have had to do it on the sly. Braces would have been a good idea.

If this scenario allows us to import our current awareness and maturity into our younger selves, start learning guitar and piano as well.

Oh - and I would have made a point of being aware of what model that first horn was!
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel

Last edited by Robert P on Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have made my Mom get her girlhood BFF Blossom Dearie to introduce me to Miles.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oscar wilde. the only thing people really <do not> regret are their mistakes.
trumpet is an intellectual, musical, and spiritual journey along with all the whatever else it is. the experience is our experience and whatever we went through so be it. sometimes it takes getting to a particular spot to get over being dense and be ready to progress. it's like the rest of life where you can have difficulties right along.
trumpethead
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had the knowledge I now do...

Would NOT buy mouthpieces and stick with one good trumpet.

I'd be saving thousands.
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Haney wrote:
SMrtn wrote:

Trying to play music on the only instrument I know how to make music on. I’m sure if you think about this there are a lot of things about the trumpet shtick you aren’t fond of either. What trumpet player who ever did a ride on a song or was involved in fast improv didn’t wish for an octave key or the easy fast fingerings of tenor sax. Or wished they had the 11 octaves in a piano to express themselves. To me its just about enjoying making music, and listening to music. And personally I would rather listen to a great guitar player, that’s OK isn’t it? And to wish my instrument was capable and easier to do all those things.? And to wish that great trumpet players could count on 7 figure salaries instead of being lucky to live without a second income? Doesn’t seem like there is much to get. I love the trumpet and will try to become as good as I can, but if I had put as many hours into guitar, I feel my skill level and ability to be a working (well paid) musician would be much higher. You simply cant argue the economics.
Rod

I know, but personally speaking, and from someone who did play tenor sax for a few years, that octave key makes for faster playing yeah, but let's be realistic, it sounds like a glorified kazoo. I'm just using humour there.
Fact is, trumpet does sound better....way better. For me, and I have no desire nor need to be financially successful as a musician, the trumpet just fits. I like the way it feels, I like the keys and the way they move, its harmonics, and I really like that I can just walk onto an international flight and stow it in the overheads.

I also play violin, and have played semi-professionally on that instrument, but there is nothing as cool to me, as trumpet, and I've all but given up on strings. Sold my sax a while back now. I'd play trumpet on a desert island if that's all there was. I understand, however, that we're all different and have different needs.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd buy a viola and know I can work forever...
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would start with a mouthpiece like Lynn Nicholson's X-Piece in order to enforce efficient embouchure habits.

trumpethead:
Quote:
Would NOT buy mouthpieces

Oh c'mon, yes you would!!
Www.LexSamu.com
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: If you could start over again Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
If you knew everything you do now the first time you picked up the trumpet, how would you approach becoming a better player? Or, in other words, if you could start it all over again how would you go about it? Just curious to hear the different responses. Happy trumpet playing!

I´ve been blessed with lots of opportunities to play in concert (brass band) and big bands since I started but - I should have taken lessons some 50 years ago! Not that I´ve lacked success and first chairs and whatever but gee if I only had understood - so much better and so much more satisfied I could have made me. All these books that I have studied, all these scales you name them should have been so much easier and resulted in so much better chops if I had gotten the correct foundation. In retrospect - another "gee" what if I had discovered the BE so much earlier....
I´ve always been given opportunities to play the kind of music that I like, brass band music is an impressive place to immerse onself in, the swingbands (1930-1945 era) with all these original score and lately more american songbook, later Basie etc. Today I just flourish in music. However I should have, somehow, tried to learn to improvise, not at all sure that I would have been successful, but I think it could have broadened sort of, the musical experience.
So in retrospect: I, so used to studying, achieving academic, professional goals, why why did I not find a good teacher. Well I did, but that was 3 1/2 years ago. Better late than never
And I most certainly enjoy devoting so much time to practice and playing these days. Holy Grails come in very different appearances!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Usedtobegood
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give up trumpet and learn to play the drums!
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMrtn wrote:

I think you are mis-understanding. Playing piano can only strengthen your musicianship and make you a better jazz player. Just look at Arturo Sandoval and Carl Saunders. Both play great piano.

I also wish I had stuck with piano when I was younger.
BIGBUSHI

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would start by eliminating the notion that I could muscle the trumpet into
doing what I want it to do. I literally wasted decades thinking that giant breaths and a super strong embouchure was going equate to power, range and endurance. I had some excellent teachers who played this way successfully. It didn't work for me consistently. I would have on days and off days no matter how much I practiced. I now play much more relaxed all night long with range well into the ledger lines. I wish I had discovered this when I was 15.
Brasspire C Trumpet
YouSellingYou.com
Online Reputation Management
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: