• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Opera Audition List

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BStrad43
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Opera Audition List Reply with quote

What would the top 20 excerpts be for auditioning for an opera orchestra?

Kevin
WildCat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there was talk of ballet orchestra auditions a while back in this section of the forum. The idea behind "hat to expect" on the lists of non-conventional orchestras was to be ready for all types of literature, and perform all of it like you know what you're doing. Sometimes things are pulled that don't seem to fit into the job description, but the people behind the screen are going for that "what if?" factor.
Really, we have to understand their intentions in doing these things. Sure, a lot of people could sit in an orchestra and play the parts just fine. I know plenty people I'd love to hear in better positions than where they are now, as I'm sure we all do. The thing is, though, that they're looking for someone who'll have the least amount of issues with the music, the required flexibility of musicianship and more, and be the most maintinence free person available for the gig. Any employer would do the same thing, although the job requirments for let's say, an accountant might not be as rigorous. As well, there are plenty more accounting firms than orchestras in the world.

That's about all I can ramble about in this topic, as my opera experience in limited. If any of the Met guys want to chime in, that'd be grand. Peter? Dave? Whoever else pokes their head in here?
tptfrbrains
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opera excerpts in german opera orchestras might look like this:
Bizet - Carmen call. Maybe backstage duett, and /or end of piece backstage.
Humperdinck - Hänsel and Gretel.
Wagner - Walküre - Sword solo 1st Act, Act II beginning, Flying Dutchman, Meistersinger, Parsifal prelude
Strauss - Frau ohne Schatten, Arabella, Salome, Rosenkavalier
Verdi - Rigoletto beginning, very end Act I, Act II beginning. Il Trovatore solo, Forza del Destino, Il Ballo en Masquera solo..
Donizetti - Don Pasquale Act II.
Leoncavallo - Bajazzo (the "No More Rice Crispies" opera).
(Sorry about some of the italian mis-spellings - we usually use the german titles, even when sung in italian.)
Since all large opera houses in Germany have ballett companies and concert seasons one would have to expect excerpts from these things too including Petrouchka, Firebird, Swan Lake, and all of the orchestral literature you're bound to see on an american audition.
BStrad43
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where would the best place to get a couple of these excerpts? I have some, but not all.

Kevin
tptfrbrains
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a book entitled "Orchesterprobespiel" or "Test Pieces for Orchestral Auditions" for Trumpet (Trompete) published by Edition Peters.
This book has many errors, and is not everything, but it is a very good place to start, as it is recommended by the union here for auditions and as study material. Another good source would be the four volumes entitled "Ausfühliche Orchesterstudien für Trompete" edited by Hermann Neuhaus for the Musikverlag Hans Gerig (Köln)
Good luck, and if you need any further help don't hesitate to ask.
BStrad43
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own the "Orchesterprobespiel" and really enjoy it a lot. I will check the others. Thanks again.

Kevin
jcdob
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am working on a new set of opera excerpts that will be available at Hickman Music Editions. I am with the Peter Bond's help putting together some very cool books. Check later

JC
BStrad43
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JC,

Could you put me on a waiting list of when the opera project will be down?

Kevin
jcdob
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. This will be another major project. I am very excited about it and want to thank Pete Bond for all his help.
Peter Bond
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="tptfrbrains"]
Leoncavallo - Bajazzo (the "No More Rice Crispies" opera).
(Sorry about some of the italian mis-spellings - we usually use the german titles, even when sung in italian.)

Bajazzo. Wow. Here, that's Pagliacci. Excerpts would probably include the first scene chorus, the stage call(s), and very ending.
BTW, we use a German edition of Cavalleria Rusticana (which usually shares the bill with Pagliacci), and the word cues in the part are 'auf Deutsch,' while the cast sings in Italian; it drove me crazy for my first couple of years.

The Met trumpet lists of past years would include most of those mentioned, plus:
Bizet: Carmen Prelude (and the aforementioned spots)
Beethoven: Leonore call #3
Donizetti: Lucia di Lammermoor (opening)
Wagner: Gotterdammerung ( Siegfried's Funeral Music ), Lohengrin (stage calls and big tutti passages)
Berg: Wozzek
Strauss: Elektra, Arabella, Ariadne auf Naxos
Verdi: Rigoletto, act I banda; Nabucco (Va pensiero), Aida, act II duet.
Britten: Peter Grimes (3rd tpt)
Shostakivich: Lady Macbeth
The principal tpt auditions also included some less commonly heard works like Britten's Midsummernights Dream, and Schoenberg's Moses & Aron.
Peter Bond
robert_white
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, would you tell us where in Shostakovich's "Lady Macbeth" that particular excerpt occurs? The excerpt, as I've seen it, doesn't indicate which act, scene, etc.

Thanks!
Athos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget (though I wish I could!) the Berlioz "Les Troyens" lick.
sandytpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The usual section from Lady MacBeth is in Act III - roughly reh. 384 - 388/389.

(On the Rostropovich recording, it is on CD 2, Track 4, about 5 minutes in.)

Sandy
robert_white
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Sandy!
trumpet_cop
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcdob wrote:
No problem. This will be another major project. I am very excited about it and want to thank Pete Bond for all his help.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but has there been any more on this collection? I like the HME orchestra books and I have been trying to expose my students to more Opera lit so they don't have that gap in their education.
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because JC is now the head of each year's ITG conference, he has not been able to find time to work with Peter Bond on the excerpts, so Peter and I have been doing them together. Volume one is almost ready for release. It will have many of the "must have" excerpts from operas by Leoncavallo, Mascagni, Bizet, Wagner, Verdi, Mozart, Puccini, and Donizettti.

Opera excerpts have been a bit under the radar, but they are important and difficult things to know. I researched and found some interesting statistics. In the United States alone, there are currently 286 professional chamber and symphony orchestras that pay a partial or full annual salary. However, there are currently 349 opera orchestras that do the same!

I will make an announcement in about 3-4 weeks.

Dave Hickman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: