• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Carol Brass as a first horn?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ephemere

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the CB 4000 arrived today, and to say my daughter was excited would be an understatement. I had a quick chance to compare it with the Olds Ambassador that the school loaned my daughter while we were waiting. Having never blown into a cup-mouthpiece instrument before 5 days ago, I'm in no position to say anything, but FWIW here are a few things I noticed:

- Out of the box, the valves are not as slick as the freshly-oiled Olds. I have not oiled valves before. (The band teacher oiled the Olds.)

- To me, it seems easier to play than the Olds. I clearly don't know what I'm doing, but I can hold a soft note more easily and play higher notes more easily. Same mouthpiece. Keep in mind I've never played trumpet before. So the instrument passes the smoke test.

- The cool water keys were a surprise.

Overall, both my daughter and I are thrilled with the horn.

Raggerty mentioned that CBs need regular valve cleaning in the first few weeks. Is this something I should do right away, before using it any more? I'm not actually sure how to clean valves. I ordered some cleaning supplies: HW Brass Saver (pull-through brush, stick brush for valves), mouthpiece brush, and Blitz slide & valve care cloth. But I won't get them for about a week. Hopefully that's okay.

And thanks once again to everyone for your advice and support!
MacMichael
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations to your wise purchase!
I am glad everything worked out and your daughter likes the horn.
That it plays well and suits here fine is of course equally important.

Wiping down/Cleaninger the valves and oiling them before and after playing should become a routine for the next weeks. When the valves have broken in, the Carol Brass ist likely to develop into a Horn with fast and reliable valves.
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, lucky kid! Congrats on a great purchase/investment for your daughter Best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: oiling valves Reply with quote

I agree, very lucky kid. Great way to start in music.

Did the trumpet come with valve oil and slide grease? I found that synthetic valve oil works best for my horns. Hetmann, Ultrapure, Superslick T 2 etc. Ultraslick Slide grease works well. Did find out that synthetic oils and non-synthetic oils don't work well together.

After playing, use the water keys to drain the water. Also pull out the slides to drain the water. Clean the mouthpiece with water or 91% Isopropyl alcohol.

There may be dust etc left over from the manufacturing process:flush out the bell,valve casing,etc. of the trumpet using warm water and the shower head.
Q tips work well in cleaning out the holes in the valves.

Wipe down the slides with alcohol.

When you cleaning supplies come in, give the trumpet a warm bath. Careful not to soak any felts or top caps.
GuidoCorona
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the CTR-4000 has been imported by Doug Teeter of Carolbrass USA, it is probably supplied with a bottle of Monster oil. CB seems to have found Monster to be preferable for their horns... Preportedly, it does not dry out as fast as Ultrapure.

Regards, G.
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest you watch these u tube videos with your daughter. Also go on facebook and watch a few Taylor trumpet videos on horn cleanliness. If you have your daughter get in the habit of brushing her teeth prior to playing youhorn will stay clean and your dental bills will be greatly reduced. Get a Reka cleaning kit with a pull thru snake (foam) and foam brushes and swab the leadpipe before you put the horn up each day. This will greatly reduce valve problems and health problems in kids this or any other age. At some point she will even be able to notice difference in playability of a clean horn vs dirty.

This may sound like overkill, but I really dont think it is, just good habit that will prevent bad outcomes. If you ‘encourage’ this habit over a month you will have started your first good one. If your daughter sees the Taylor video about what he pulls out of horns she will be like all ‘eeeww’ and will take it to heart. Your savings on dental and ENT expense should show you advantages of this simple exercise, and the long term health benefit should be notable.
Rod
Raggerty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think CB recommend Tromba T2 oil.
MacMichael
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raggerty wrote:
I think CB recommend Tromba T2 oil.

And it works! All the time, at least for me and my CB horn.
GuidoCorona
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Raggerty, you are right!

I just checked with Doug Teeter, and he confirmed that CB horns now ship with Tromba T2 oil. Here is what Doug wrote to me:

"Tromba T2 oil we have been using since 01-01-17  in all our horns.   Best darn oil I have ever used.   Doug"

Regards, G.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: