• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Soloists & high note player on this Ted Heath recording?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:55 am    Post subject: Soloists & high note player on this Ted Heath recording? Reply with quote

Ted Heath's band doing a suped-up take on Glenn Miller's arrangement of Tuxedo Junction. Has some nice bluesy soloing - anyone know who's soloing as well as who's playing the dub C at the end? It's a British band - maybe Derek Watkins on the high notes?

This video is the whole album - go to 39:16 for Tuxedo. It's the last cut on the album.

Link

Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel

Last edited by Robert P on Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Soloists & high note player on this Ted Heath record Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
Ted Heath's band doing a suped-up take on Glenn Miller's arrangement of Tuxedo Junction. Has some nice bluesy soloing - anyone know who's soloing as well as playing the dub C at the end? It's a British band - maybe Derek Watkins?

This video is the whole album - go to 39:16 for Tuxedo. It's the last cut on the album.

Link

I´m a fan of Ted Heath´s Swing is King albums; fantastic trumpet section, perfectionism etc. Listen to Two o´clock jump from Swing is King https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKq4sjSiNZc Some of the trumpeters were Bert Ezzard, Bert Courtley so maybe one of them? Derek Watkins nicknamed "mr Lead" did play in the Heath band at least sometimes. Maybe not same guy soloing and nailing the double C? Here a site with references: http://henrybebop.co.uk/heath.htm

Indeed a british band. Many of these trumpeters began playing cornet in brass bands at an early age so they became very seasoned guys!
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Soloists & high note player on this Ted Heath record Reply with quote

Seymor B Fudd wrote:
Some of the trumpeters were Bert Ezzard, Bert Courtley so maybe one of them? Derek Watkins nicknamed "mr Lead" did play in the Heath band at least sometimes. Maybe not same guy soloing and nailing the double C?

I edited my original post for clarity, that it's probably two different players.

Yes Derek was a great lead player - he also did some excellent flugel work. Amazing that he got started on his long tenure playing lead on the Bond films when he was 17 as I understand it.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
huw.trumpet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the good fortune to play with/for three of the five remaining members of the Ted Heath Band who played under Ted himself and so was very pleased to see the band being well spoken of in this forum.

There is an excellent but incomplete discography at http://henrybebop.co.uk/maxgray.txt. It doesn't answer the OP's question so I asked Stan Reynolds and Bill Geldard. They think the jazz soloist is probably Eddie Blair. The high notes might be by Derek Watkins but are unlikely to by Bert Courtley. Bert Ezzard is a possibility but Stan Roderick or Tony Fisher are a more likely.

The Heath band was arguably at its peak during the 1950's. Connoisseurs of lead trumpet playing should check out Bobby Pratt's work, in particular the duets with Bert Ezzard, which are available on You Tube. Possibly my favourite anecdote is Stan Reynold's story of Bobby being met by a fan as he came off stage at the Hollywood Bowl who said "Gee Mr Pratt, you must be the greatest lead trumpet player in the world". The ever modest Bobby responded "No, the finest lead trumpet in the world is one of your own countrymen, Conrad Gozzo". The fan laughed and said "Allow me to introduce myself - my name is Conrad Gozzo"!

FWIW Stan Reynolds believes that Stan Roderick played lead trumpet on the Dr No soundtrack.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huw.trumpet wrote:
I have the good fortune to play with/for three of the five remaining members of the Ted Heath Band who played under Ted himself and so was very pleased to see the band being well spoken of in this forum.

There is an excellent but incomplete discography at http://henrybebop.co.uk/maxgray.txt. It doesn't answer the OP's question so I asked Stan Reynolds and Bill Geldard. They think the jazz soloist is probably Eddie Blair. The high notes might be by Derek Watkins but are unlikely to by Bert Courtley. Bert Ezzard is a possibility but Stan Roderick or Tony Fisher are a more likely.

The Heath band was arguably at its peak during the 1950's. Connoisseurs of lead trumpet playing should check out Bobby Pratt's work, in particular the duets with Bert Ezzard, which are available on You Tube. Possibly my favourite anecdote is Stan Reynold's story of Bobby being met by a fan as he came off stage at the Hollywood Bowl who said "Gee Mr Pratt, you must be the greatest lead trumpet player in the world". The ever modest Bobby responded "No, the finest lead trumpet in the world is one of your own countrymen, Conrad Gozzo". The fan laughed and said "Allow me to introduce myself - my name is Conrad Gozzo"!

FWIW Stan Reynolds believes that Stan Roderick played lead trumpet on the Dr No soundtrack.

What a lovely forum this is! Couldn´t even imagine that information would come straight from the horse´s mouth (no offense ).
I have 3 - 4 records by the Heath band(s), always impressed with the perfection. The Swing is King albums being recorded by the 4 phase system still have outstanding sound quality. Such a driving forceful beat!
Good for you being able to play with these guys! Thanks for chiming in!
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: