• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece buzzing tool ID

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KNatoli64

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Mouthpiece buzzing tool ID Reply with quote

I'm looking to ID a tool I've seen that is similar to a Berp but without the resistance. It is a simple tool with a brass stud that goes into the receiver and a ring that would hold the mouthpiece outside of the leadpipe but still attached to the trumpet for practice purposes. If anyone knows who makes these let me know!
gchun01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.osmun.com/trumpet-buzz-aid.html
George Chase

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another one, for $22.95, although he gives quantity discounts -
http://www.brassbuzzer.com/orderform.html
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think those, including the Berp, have some value for a beginner, I’m not sure they are very useful for someone who has been playing for more than a few years though. I buzz as a warmup before every gig, but just holding the mouthpiece works fine for me.
If you want some resistance, just partially cover the shank with your hand/fingers.

Brad
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could just practice a good, well balanced daily routine with your mouthpiece properly inserted into your trumpet. That worked for me...

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Or you could just practice a good, well balanced daily routine with your mouthpiece properly inserted into your trumpet. That worked for me...

I expected you would be along pretty quickly on this one, John.

While I don't disagree in general, I will say that I have found a mouthpiece alone to be quite beneficial in a few specific areas.

First off, I always keep a mouthpiece in the vehicle. Not as a 'spare' or in case I forget one, but as a way to show up at a gig pretty much 'ready to go' even if the traffic is a nightmare. It doesn't take much time to get the blood flowing. Though I wouldn't call it ideal, it's beneficial often enough to make it valuable to me. I still like to warmup before I even leave the house when I can, but depending on the commute time, the mpc in the car can still be beneficial.

I know some people haul a trumpet or cornet with them on vacation, because they're convinced they have to in order to keep their chops up. I went on a vacation for several weeks not long ago, knowing in advance that due to where I'd be, I could bring a horn along, but it would be a pain. I likely wouldn't practice it enough to make it worthwhile, so I brought along a mouthpiece and spent a few minutes every day going through basics on it. When I got back, I was in really good shape and had very little work to do in order to feel 'back' again.

Short answer: I don't think the mouthpiece is a substitute for practice. But, it does let you get close at times when the horn is impractical.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:

Best wishes,

John Mohan

Or you could ignore "advice" that's in the form of boilerplate snark from someone who apparently has not learned how to buzz effectively.

Didn't you say you were going to stop posting this kind of stuff? Sure you did. Multiple times.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
John Mohan wrote:

I expected you would be along pretty quickly on this one, John.

While I don't disagree in general, I will say that I have found a mouthpiece alone to be quite beneficial in a few specific areas.

First off, I always keep a mouthpiece in the vehicle. Not as a 'spare' or in case I forget one, but as a way to show up at a gig pretty much 'ready to go' even if the traffic is a nightmare. It doesn't take much time to get the blood flowing. Though I wouldn't call it ideal, it's beneficial often enough to make it valuable to me. I still like to warmup before I even leave the house when I can, but depending on the commute time, the mpc in the car can still be beneficial.

I know some people haul a trumpet or cornet with them on vacation, because they're convinced they have to in order to keep their chops up. I went on a vacation for several weeks not long ago, knowing in advance that due to where I'd be, I could bring a horn along, but it would be a pain. I likely wouldn't practice it enough to make it worthwhile, so I brought along a mouthpiece and spent a few minutes every day going through basics on it. When I got back, I was in really good shape and had very little work to do in order to feel 'back' again.

Short answer: I don't think the mouthpiece is a substitute for practice. But, it does let you get close at times when the horn is impractical.

Yes, I can see that use. I've buzzed my mouthpiece once in a while on the way to gigs, but truth be told, my before show warmup is some Irons Flexibilities done on Lake Shore Drive on the way to the theater. Works like a charm. I do pay careful attention to traffic and maintain even more safe distance than usually (I don't want to have the mouthpiece and horn coming out through the back of my head!).
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm55 wrote:
John Mohan wrote:

Best wishes,

John Mohan

Or you could ignore "advice" that's in the form of boilerplate snark from someone who apparently has not learned how to buzz effectively.

Didn't you say you were going to stop posting this kind of stuff? Sure you did. Multiple times.

Should I be losing sleep worried that I have "not learned to buzz effectively"? And what the heck is that anyway?!?! Buzzing effectively?? Give me a break...

Did I say I would stop posting advice based on my experiences as a successful professional trumpet player with the goal of helping other players? I don't think so. But maybe I did in a moment of weakness when I was weary of your poor attitude. Kind of like a parent showing a weak side, giving in to and attempting to appease a spoiled kid. I won't do that anymore. Cheers!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No John, it's that being anti-buzzing is beating a dead horse. I think that's what he meant, not sharing your experiences in general.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
trompette229
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel the need to state the obvious. There are many players and teachers far more advanced than Mr. Mohan that advocate mouthpiece buzzing, not necessarily as a warm up but to aid their playing. That being said there are many who do not use it...so there is no need for blanket statements as they just don't look at all of the successful approaches to our instrument. This isn't a personal attack on John, it just sounds like it
KNatoli64

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been buzzing for years now and of course see how it helps. For those wondering why I was trying to track this equipment down, I had recently found my Berp from many years ago and noticed that being able to pair fingerings with mp buzzing helped immensely.

I don't like how the Berp screws onto the receiver (it left a few scuff marks on the plating) so having a tool that will better protect my instrument while providing the same use is great. Simply holding the mouthpiece and changing the resistance by covering the end is a bit too different an activity for my liking. The closer I can make the experience of buzzing to playing, the better.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a "blanket statement". It is not "beating a dead horse." It is my opinion (an opinion well supported by logic and experience).

Unless I missed something, sharing my opinion with a relatively new member of this forum in a new thread started by that newer member of the TH community is not only allowed, but encouraged on this forum (look up the word "forum" if there is any confusion).

The fact that others have shared their differing opinions about this subject on many past threads started by other OP's should not limit them either, should it?

My teacher (Claude Gordon) thought mouthpiece buzzing as a routine form of practice was a waste of time . As he wrote:

My own experiences have showed me that is true (I don't mean mouthpiece buzzing is never helpful - under some circumstances it is - for instance, having a student buzz "sirens" on a mouthpiece sometimes helps the student get the feel of what the air, tongue and lips need to do to go from low notes to high notes and vice versa). Others will disagree with me and they do. That's fine with me. But I never tell them they shouldn't share their opinions. I wonder why others do that.

Rest assured, any time the subject of lip buzzing or mouthpiece buzzing comes up in new discussions on the Trumpet Herald I will continue to share my opinion, time permitting. If you don't like that, perhaps some self-examination is in order.

Best wishes (to all),

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
It's not a "blanket statement". It is not "beating a dead horse." It is my opinion (an opinion well supported by logic and experience).

The fact that it's your opinion you state doesn't mean it can't be a blanket statement. However we parse this particular installation of your general and oft-repeated disliking for buzzing, you're still quite consistent about saying that anything other than trumpet playing itself (outside of a few minor exceptions) is at best unnecessary, and at a worst a total waste of time. That's a blanket statement - it's applied to everyone, all goals, points of view, and methodologies, and when challenged you usually defer back to the Claude Gordon quote about it being a waste of time since you won't perform on a mouthpiece, which absolutely meets any reasonable definition of a blanket statement. (For what it's worth, you also won't perform by reading Claude Gordon's books, but I wouldn't suggest that makes them useless.)
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:

But you've never actually shown any such logic. You just keep citing fallacious reasoning that has been pretty soundly debunked repeatedly, and yet again this time.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm55 wrote:
John Mohan wrote:

Best wishes,

John Mohan

Yikes. “Boilerplate snark”? I didn’t take it like that at all, opinions on buzzing or not buzzing notwithstanding. Is John opinionated? Probably, like a majority of us here. Does he have credentials? Sure, opinions are just that, I don’t see a problem with voicing trumpet gadget and pedagogy opinions on a TRUMPET FORUM.

Not an attempt here to defend someone who does not need that from me, just my opinio...uh oh.....😉

Brad
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
just my opinio...uh oh.....😉

Brad

Seriously: You nailed it!

Certain people here on the TH and for that matter, all over the country, are happy to consider other people's opinions, as long as those opinions mirror their own opinions. But if they don't... well... all bets are off.

I can see a conversation between me and "mm55" (whoever he really is) going something like this:

Me: "mm55 I think you're wrong about some things pertaining to developing ability on the trumpet, but I still wish you the best."

mm55: "You're an evil, horrible snarky boilerplate person-thing for having the opinions you have. Stop sharing your opinions on this internet forum!!!"

Someone around here seems to have a permanent case of the Mondays...

Best wishes (to all),

John
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A trumpet player removing his or her mouthpiece from his or her horn and practicing buzzing on it is like a race car driver removing the steering wheel from his or her race car and practicing turning it to the left and to the right (or in the case of a NASCAR driver, only to the left).
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:

Certain people here on the TH and for that matter, all over the country, are happy to consider other people's opinions, as long as those opinions mirror their own opinions. But if they don't... well... all bets are off.

Is that a description of your crusade against mouthpiece buzzing, and your refusal to consider other people's opinions on the subject?

Quote:
mm55: "You're an evil, horrible snarky boilerplate person-thing for having the opinions you have. Stop sharing your opinions on this internet forum!!!"

No, I never said that. But it's nice that you're so fond of me that you have to lie about what I said. It's unfortunate (and bizarre) that people buzzing mouthpieces gets so deeply under your skin. When anyone expresses a positive opinion of mouthpiece buzzing, you just can't let it go; you have to ridicule the idea, without really giving any logical reason.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
A trumpet player removing his or her mouthpiece from his or her horn and practicing buzzing on it is like a race car driver removing the steering wheel from his or her race car and practicing turning it to the left and to the right (or in the case of a NASCAR driver, only to the left).

No, it's more like practicing using a normal car instead of a race car. It might not help you, but does help others. Sometimes a little practice with just the mpc or leadpipe can be beneficial.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: