• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mute intonation help needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DNMH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:41 am    Post subject: Mute intonation help needed Reply with quote

My biggest weakness is knowing when I am playing in tune. I can somewhat tell with open cornet, but with a mute I get lost.

I am in a situation where I need to use bucket, cup, straight and Harmon.

Please tell me what to expect from these.

Thanks
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: Mute intonation help needed Reply with quote

DNMH wrote:
My biggest weakness is knowing when I am playing in tune. I can somewhat tell with open cornet, but with a mute I get lost.

I am in a situation where I need to use bucket, cup, straight and Harmon.

Please tell me what to expect from these.

Thanks

Best thing to do, in my opinion, is to get yourself a digital tuner - could be an app (Clear Tune) or an old fashion tuning fork (although often in 440hz, nowadays band often 442 - but OK as a reference). Then proceed as follows:
1)teach yourself the tuning pecularities of your horn, where should you be particularly observant etc.
2)same procedure with mutes

Eventually you´ll have a "chart" covering most aspects.
Then again mutes may have special characteristics - in my experience different mutes may vary etc. A reference: http://www.hornsmith.net/MuteAcoustics.pdf
Essential in the equation is your own way of negotiating these mutes (and your horn). Only pratice and experience can tell.
In my view
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, make tuning, tuning practice part of your daily routine! With a tuner, and teach your "ear" what your trumpet tendencies are.

Each mute will affect pitch in slightly different ways (most play sharp). Tune then stick the mute in and see what you need to do to correct the change. Note that cup mutes and straight mutes, to a lesser degree, need to have the corks filed for proper fit. One trick with non-adjustable cup mutes is to play down to a low F#; if it warbles or doesn't speak the corks are too thick.
There are well designed mutes that minimize pitch issues. This is why it is worth spending a bit more on the good ones.

my "go to" list when suggesting mutes:

Straight - Denis Wick, Jo-Ral, Soulo
Cup - Denis Wick, Stonelined (corks filed), MuteMeister (corks filed)
Harmon - Jo-Ral Bubble, Denis Wick
Retired Air Force Bandsman
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For mutes like the straight mute and cup mute, make sure the corks are filed so the mute inserts the proper depth into the bell. Here are instructions how to do this from Roger Ingram.

I've never had intonation problems with bucket mutes. That is, the bucket mutes don't introduce new intonation problems—I still have to play in tune, though.

Harmon mute intonation can vary. Many play a bit sharp, while some don't change pitch very much. Just know the pitch tendencies of your mute. It also helps to be sure not to overblow the harmon mute, which can make pitch problems worse, make the tune you're playing sound strained, and make your lips tired really fast.

I've found that practicing with a drone is a fantastic way to improve pitch awareness. I use the TonalEnergy tuner app on my iPhone. I sync the phone to a bluetooth speaker and turn on the drone pitch for the exercise I'm going to play. I usually like to have the drone play the 5th of the key signature. For example, if I'm going to play something in F, I'll turn on a drone C. Then while I'm playing, I listen to my pitches and see if the intervals sound correct with respect to the drone. It's amazing how much a simple thing like this can improve pitch awareness. And this improved awareness carries over to rehearsals and performances, when you're playing along with the ensemble instead of a drone.
Piccolo Stomvi
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than attempting to chart the horn's peculiarities, practice playing in tune. Play duets with somebody who plays in tune, or practice with a drone. Don't try to intellectualize it; there's just too much data to process. Instead, get used to hearing the notes where they go and trusting that you will put them there.
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad we're discussing tuning. A grave omission in my mind. As if you're playing out of tune? You're playing wrong notes.

Once in a while I get asked if I think I'm playing well in tune. The only proper answer, for me appears to say,

"I think I'm playing pretty well in tune. Certainly better than I used to..."

Because there's no such human being who plays the trumpet perfectly in tune. Some mouthpieces, like the ancient Al Cass series could create the appearance of better tuning. Especially within amateur trumpet sections. Whether these mouthpieces actually played better in tune, blended better with others or made playing the trumpet easier physically? I couldnt say. Probably a mixture of all three.

When I used to blow the Cass 1-28 I noticed that the tone made was usually superior to my bandmates. As such I sounded closer in tune even when very slightly off pitch compared to the guy next to me who was blowing dead on the money.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Anthony Miller

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting - what drone sound on the TE tuner do you use to play to?

dstdenis wrote:

I've found that practicing with a drone is a fantastic way to improve pitch awareness. I use the TonalEnergy tuner app on my iPhone. I sync the phone to a bluetooth speaker and turn on the drone pitch for the exercise I'm going to play. I usually like to have the drone play the 5th of the key signature. For example, if I'm going to play something in F, I'll turn on a drone C. Then while I'm playing, I listen to my pitches and see if the intervals sound correct with respect to the drone. It's amazing how much a simple thing like this can improve pitch awareness. And this improved awareness carries over to rehearsals and performances, when you're playing along with the ensemble instead of a drone.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony Miller wrote:
Interesting - what drone sound on the TE tuner do you use to play to?

dstdenis wrote:

I use the “trumpet” sound.
Piccolo Stomvi
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nonsense Eliminator wrote:
Rather than attempting to chart the horn's peculiarities, practice playing in tune. Play duets with somebody who plays in tune, or practice with a drone. Don't try to intellectualize it; there's just too much data to process. Instead, get used to hearing the notes where they go and trusting that you will put them there.

Playing duets with somebody who plays in tune? What if this guy does not play in tune? What might happen is that you adapt (given a minimum of adequate sense of "pitch") both of you playing out of tune - in relation to a given base line, maybe a piano in 442.
We all know there is no such thing as a mathematically exact intervall between notes; hence the concept the "even tempered" piano! So in reality tuning is the art of establishing as (to our wears/brains)well sounding harmonics as possible, within a certain span/range outside of which we percieve dissonances.
I maintain you gotta learn the special characteristics of your horn. Maybe you do not need a tuner, many of us have the ability to use the ears only.
Also a possible fallacy is that you might, looking at the tuner, adjust the pitch accordingly - but when not looking play out of tune again. Really tricky business in my view. Perhaps one could say that all tuning is relative (=in relation to say a piano, a tuning fork, lately digital tuner).
But your A might be exactly 442 but your D too sharp...not to mention C# etc.
So you learn how to compensate (by listening, as you write " hearing the notes where they go and trusting that you will put them there").
In my opinion this gets far more easy if you know your horn then learn how various mutes affect the tuning. I do not see a contradiction between knowing how things happen, and making them happen.
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)

Last edited by Seymor B Fudd on Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:05 am; edited 2 times in total
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The general tendency is that a mute will cause the trumpet to play sharp. As per being able to tell whether you are sharp, flat or in tune with yourself and those around you, most of the advice above is good. Ear training is much more important to musical performance than is usually emphasized, particularly in the beginning. It's never too late to get started. Good luck.
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymor B Fudd wrote:
Playing duets with somebody who plays in tune? What if this guy does not play in tune? What might happen is that you adapt (given a minimum of adequate sense of "pitch") both of you playing out of tune - in relation to a given base line, maybe a piano in 442.
We all know there is no such thing as a logical/digital intervall between notes; hence the concept the "well tempered" piano! So in reality tuning is the art of establishing as (to our wears/brains)well sounding harmonics as possible, within a certain span/range
I maintain you gotta learn the special characteristics of your horn. Maybe you do not need a tuner, many of us have the ability to use the ears only.
Also a possible fallacy is that you might, looking at the tuner, adjust the pitch accordingly - but when not looking play out of tune again. Really tricky business in my view. Perhaps one could say that all tuning is relative (=in relation to say a piano, a tuning fork, lately digital tuner).
But your A might be exactly 442 but your D too sharp...
So you learn how to compensate (by listening, as you write " hearing the notes where they go and trusting that you will put them there").
In my opinion this gets far more easy if you know your horn then learn how various mutes affect the tuning. I do not see a contradiction between knowing how things happen, and making them happen.

It is one thing to know that mute X tends to require you to adjust your slide by a certain amount. Maybe if the mute isn't in tune with itself it's helpful to know that if you're playing in certain registers you need to make different adjustments.

Beyond that, tuning is about reacting to the sounds around you. You absolutely must learn to do that, and you can't learn to do that by playing with a tuner. You might be able to use a tuner to teach yourself to play reasonably in tune with an even-tempered scale -- but we get tired, the people around us get tired, the tendencies of other instruments come into play, the temperature changes, and then that all goes right out the window. On top of that, the even-tempered scale is an artificial construct and often irrelevant in an ensemble that mostly consists of variable-pitch instruments. We have to learn to hear and match pitches, and the best way to learn to do that is to practice hearing and matching pitches.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: