• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Changing mouthpiece sizes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkwolfe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Changing mouthpiece sizes Reply with quote

Good Afternoon;

Do you ever change mouthpiece sizes over long periods of time? Meaning, from say a 1C to a 3C, and then back, over the course of a few years?

When I picked my horn back up and started practicing again, in the spring of 2015, I was playing on my old mouthpiece from college (about a 1C or a bit bigger, I'm in my early 40s). I didn't sound that great, so after a few weeks/months of lessons, I switched to a 1.25C. My sound improved greatly. Then, about a year later (fall of 2016), I switched to a 3C, and there was another big improvement. In my lesson today, I played for a few minutes on a 1B, and my instructor (whom I trust immensely when it comes to his opinion of my sound) thought it was the best I sounded.

So, what gives? Is it a case that my embouchure was so weak when I started back up that I needed the smaller mouthpiece, and now its strong enough to go back to the bigger size mouthpiece? Is this just something that happens with folks?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks,
D
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
Indeed, while building your embouchure, or getting back to trumpet, you may experiment some changes, in your chops or in your sensations, your mpc at one point can feel different on your lips.
It's a natural process that you must accompany : til all it's ok and you can develop yor technic, skills, improve etc., stay with this mpc. When it starts to limit you or feel strange to your lips, then it's time to try another mpc.
Yes, while your chops are weak, they'll respond better to one mpc, that will not necessarily be adapted anymore to your chops when they'll be stronger.

best
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: Changing mouthpiece sizes Reply with quote

dkwolfe wrote:
Good Afternoon;

Do you ever change mouthpiece sizes over long periods of time? Meaning, from say a 1C to a 3C, and then back, over the course of a few years?

When I picked my horn back up and started practicing again, in the spring of 2015, I was playing on my old mouthpiece from college (about a 1C or a bit bigger, I'm in my early 40s). I didn't sound that great, so after a few weeks/months of lessons, I switched to a 1.25C. My sound improved greatly. Then, about a year later (fall of 2016), I switched to a 3C, and there was another big improvement. In my lesson today, I played for a few minutes on a 1B, and my instructor (whom I trust immensely when it comes to his opinion of my sound) thought it was the best I sounded.

So, what gives? Is it a case that my embouchure was so weak when I started back up that I needed the smaller mouthpiece, and now its strong enough to go back to the bigger size mouthpiece? Is this just something that happens with folks?

Thanks,
D

As I am in the process of (final!) mouthpiece switching I´ve pondered a little on these matters (mind you I am an amateur).
I began with the BE method Jan 2016 (this is a method that amongst other variables focuses on strengthening the aperture - diminishing the smiling tendency) which over a period of 5-6 months resulted in switching from a Schilke 14, C cup, 17,02 mm diameter to a V -cup piece, 16,25, for my cornet(prior to this not possible); however the trumpet mpc still was Schilke 14A4, 17.09 mm diam successively becoming more and more impossible so eventually I began using smaller diameter mpc (for lead), the legit/concert piece became a Wick Ultra 16,25 rather quickly.
But big problems becoming acclimatized to the C cup shallow pieces.
Not until some weekls ago, inspired by Lionel here on the TH, being recommended a V cup Stork, by Mr Olds, medium shallow 16,25 mpc I began practicing solely on this latter.
If I test my old Bach 1 1/4 - gosh what a projection..... but being 75 I find these smaller mpc:s give me far better endurance (and a more focused sound).

Why this ingress? Well, in my (current ) thinking I´ve come to the conclusion that a smaller, more shallow mpc forces your chops to negotiate the transisiton to a more focused aperture, kinda firmer, more concentration on a not smiling embouchure. A (much debated) analogy would be taking a garden hose, press from two opposite sides making the water outlet become restricted to the middle part of the hose.
As I understand this results in the air outlet becoming kinda more circumscribed, the lip muscles stronger, the "vectors" becoming directed towards the middle of the lips.
So after a while, being in your age (I once was, using a Bach 1 1/4 for everything from concert to lead) you would end up with a stronger more focused embouchure. Maintaining this newly acquired strength should be much easier for you than me. At your age I could play 4 sets big band lead on this Bach 1 1/4, sheer youthful brute power - not possible anymore. However I´m sure my high register should have been boosted a lot using a lead mpc.

So I don´t think that this just happens, it happens from a reasaon!
Maybe maybe my statement might be called into question here but "this will have to do until the real thing comes along".
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please note that i didn't say a weak embouchure needs a smaller ID compared to a stronger embouchure that would need a larger ID.
Raggerty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I began on the Yamaha 11B4 that came with my horn (slightly shallower and slightly rounder rimmed than a 7C I think). I was recommended to move to a larger mouthpiece, a 14D4, by my teacher, stuck with it for a year. I was struggling so tried the shallower 14C4 for six months. I was still struggling. Went back to an 11B4, huge improvement in my playing.

It may be that all the strengthening on the wider pieces paid off for my return to a narrower one. Or it may be I'm just suited to what is sometimes thought of as a beginner's piece.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beware of the "honeymoon period".
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of info, guidance and stories about mouthpieces in Brian Shook's bio of William Vacchiano. Short version: choose rim diameter to fit the size of your face/lips/embouchure, and then choose cup size and shape for sound. Finally, rim shape, bore and backbore for playability and intonation.

There's another story in this book about when someone (Georges Mager, IIRC) gave Vacchiano a large mouthpiece to try. Vacchiano said he sounded great on it, but it was too big for him, so he hardly ever used it. That seems to explain and mirror your experience with the 1B. Great sound, but it might be too difficult for range and endurance.

On her website for Stork mouthpieces, Phyllis Stork has a fantastic article about how to find the optimal range of mouthpiece inner diameter sizes. I followed her advice (amid conflicting advice from others), and it worked for me. Check it out:
http://storkcustom.com/how-your-lips-dictate-your-mouthpiece-choice/
Piccolo Stomvi
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstdenis wrote:
On her website for Stork mouthpieces, Phyllis Stork has a fantastic article about how to find the optimal range of mouthpiece inner diameter sizes. I followed her advice (amid conflicting advice from others), and it worked for me. Check it out:

Wow, I just went and checked out the link. After many different mps I discovered that the one that worked for me was a Bach 5C with an inner diameter of 16.25. Lo and behold, according to Phyllis Stork I am using the right size for my type of lips. She knows what she's talking about.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstdenis wrote:
There are lots of info, guidance and stories about mouthpieces in Brian Shook's bio of William Vacchiano. Short version: choose rim diameter to fit the size of your face/lips/embouchure, and then choose cup size and shape for sound. Finally, rim shape, bore and backbore for playability and intonation.

There's another story in this book about when someone (Georges Mager, IIRC) gave Vacchiano a large mouthpiece to try. Vacchiano said he sounded great on it, but it was too big for him, so he hardly ever used it. That seems to explain and mirror your experience with the 1B. Great sound, but it might be too difficult for range and endurance.

Very interesting article! Thanks! Explains why I most of my life could use the Bach 1 1 /4 - fleshier upper lip, not so much red tissue visible of bottom lip in comparison.
I can still use this mpc but radically better endurance with the smaller diameter ones. But my lips are as old as the rest of me so its OK with me!
Adding to this my belief smaller mpc:s (up to a certain point obviously) might strengthen the embouchure.Welcome in my case.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Changing mouthpiece sizes Reply with quote

dkwolfe wrote:
Good Afternoon;

Thanks,
D

What was right yesterday is wrong for tomorrow. What is wrong today? May work great tomorrow. I never throw out a mouthpiece as I or someone else may find it to work quite well down the road.

It takes more "intelligent chops" to succeed on a smaller/shallower cup. People who think shallow pieces are "cheating" have never played a lead gig with a couple hundred high C's and 20+ F's & G's above.

Probably the "smartest" chops belong to a lead player who gets a big sound in the lower and middle register and with phenomenol high range. All done on a very shallow piece. Like the Schilke 6A. I know that this isnt your question but thought it might add supplemental information to your request.

Another tip. This one Ive learned only on the past couple years,

If you're having difficulty adjusting to a shallower or otherwise smaller piece? Do not start the gig on this mputhpiece. Instead play your regular one intil you start to get tired. THEN switch to your newer smaller iece.

Keep doing this both in rehearsal and in concert until you're more accustomed to the new piece. In time you'll find yourself replacing your older m/piece earlier and earlier in the gig. Until you're starting the job with the newer piece. At this point the transition is nearly complete. You just keep the larger piece around in case your chops get swollen and need a bit more room.

Ive tended to use shallower pieces throughout much of my career because they're easier to get an "in control" type of sound. An audience really keys off a trumpet player who sounds like the supreme lord and master of his horn.

Then conversely they will feel discomfort tp the poor guy whose playing sounds like the horn controls him. He struggling later in the gig for measly notes like the mere G top of staff. A mouthiece never gets tired.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
dkwolfe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstdenis wrote:

Fantastic book! I binge read that (how often have you heard that phrase )one day, just after I started taking lessons again. I was supposed to be working, but oh well.

Thanks for all the feedback and info. I do try and switch off between my "lead" piece and my regular one, depending on the situation. I also practice on my lead piece (a 3E equivalent) on a regular basis. I had a chance to talk to Joey Tartell at ITG this year, and then found his lesson on "the fives" for improving range. He advocated for always practicing with your lead piece, and not expecting it to work any wonders for you if you never use it.

I guess it boils down to trying to always pick the right tools for the job; so I might need to look for a little bit deeper cup occasionally.

Thanks again,
D
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just changed a MP and now have a question for those who understand this subject better than me. I went from a 7c I had always played in HS to a very narrow .590 ish but kind of regular cup Callet Buddy x5. I was amazed by the freedom I felt with the mouthpiece, not range just much easier to play so I started to play it exclusively about a year and a half ago. Fore some reason everything is just better everywhere than on the wider piece. Seems like this is a lead piece (in my limited MP databank) in width but more normal in depth. I didn’t notice any difference in range, just clarity and richer tone.

So now I have played 30 months after being off 47 years. 1st 6 months on 7c, next 2 years on Buddy X5, now just gor a Buddy X5 rim quickly blended to the MF V cup. Again an improvement in tone and clarity. No jump in range but seems a bit quicker on up slurs. Now this is a much smaller cup than the Buddy X5 less deep, and without the cup volume.

I am pleased right now with the new piece and it still sounds better than Buddy and they both still sound better than my 7c noticeably, and the 7c now feels like a burden against my lips - uncomfortable. I have also noted that when I start to get a bit tired I can now shift the MP slightly right or left and get a fair amount of good play before I get tired. When I play on the more wide piece now I’m shot so much faster and my mouth is worked so much harder. I have heard so many views that the wider MPs give you a richer tone, that I’m wondering why everything seems to go 180 degrees for me on this.

Just curious, I’m not going to switch or change MP’s cause I wont argue with success (maybe its a honeymoon) but why?
Rod
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello Rod
the most important thing is that your vibrating zone be in adequation with the inner diameter.
If this is way smaller than your vibrating zone, it cuts the vibration, you'll struggle for everything.
If the ID is too big, you'll not "fill" it.

When you've found the right size, tone is bigger, richer, you're playing is easier, and you can develop your musicality.
Once again, like said our Coluche "there are no tall, no short guys, the point is your feet touch the ground"
best
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stick with the 3 size. if you can play the 1 with relative ease then it's okay, otherwise be kind to yourself.
your teacher may be a dunce.
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever since high school, I have played a 3C style cup and rim. What has changed over the years is my ability to put air through the horn, so now, after revisiting the 3C I played in high school in the late '70's, and a Yammy Bobby Shew Jazz with a very tight backbore, I now play a 3C/76 backbore to get just a little bit more resistance to match what I can blow.

I have tried a variety of other cup diameters, rims, and depths, but always came back to the 3C sized rim and cup.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: