• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The No BS! Brass band

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: The No BS! Brass band Reply with quote

Howdy - I was in Richmond last weekend and had the opportunity to see the No BS! Brass Band. Holy Moly do they put on an awesome show! Big, loud, and the whole band had major chops. Great trumpet players.

If you find yourself in the Richmond area, or can catch them on tour, I strongly recommend it. Bring earplugs and your dancing shoes.

Cheers,

Turkle
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEjNggZsWow
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I call BS!

They have...

A SAX PLAYER!!!!

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy wrote:
I call BS!

They have...

A SAX PLAYER!!!!

:faints:
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well what's his saxophone made out of? Hey, that's more than can be said of the rapper guy with the (plastic) megaphone!

Anyway, look where he's standing - center and kind of at the back. Probably just snuck in...

Seriously, the Trombone Player ROCKS!!!!!!!
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope I don't open a can of worms but...

First:

As a Trumpet player I think this group is awsome and "I" would love to be a part of. So many of these fine groups all over the country. WOW!!

Having said that (how do I put this)...because if u are not the "actual person" who actually has to be book this group "somewhere"; where would these guys play this stuff or find people who appreciate it? In my neck of the woods...shows would be sparse and pay would be low...really low. You are clearly doing this for love of the music. A few Library shows (which is where they are) and maybe a few outdoor public Gazebo town and school performances..all I can think of at the moment.

I don't really find those places fun to be. Most of the fun places in my area want you to cover well known songs.

The most I would do is maybe a Maynard Ferguson tribute act...and you would be hard pressed to draw.

Just seems like alot of work for a few performances. I know it's hard for some of u to understand and you will totally disagree with me.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they could get work in Europe and probably a lot of it. There is a demand there for novelty instrumental groups (at least more of one there than here).
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of the players are friends of mine. They've gotten some very interesting gigs all over the place. Seriously fun band.
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had another post up for a few minutes that I thankfully deleted..at risk of offending with an opinion (that could easily be mis-interprted). I am best keeping to myself.

I applaud the folks who worked hard and put this fine group together and lined up places to perform.

Further, upon checking the bands nice website; they have done some prestigious performances and fund raising events. Awsome!

And original compositions. WOW!

Last edited by jgadvert on Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bugler90
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They rock, IMHO check this other two videos.

Link

Link

Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The creativity and musicianship is superb. They are one of my favorites in that genre. Thanks for posting all of the videos. I would go see them in a heartbeat!!

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jgadvert wrote:

First:

As a Trumpet player I think this group is awsome and "I" would love to be a part of. So many of these fine groups all over the country. WOW!!

Having said that (how do I put this)...because if u are not the "actual person" who actually has to be book this group "somewhere"; where would these guys play this stuff or find people who appreciate it? In my neck of the woods...shows would be sparse and pay would be low...really low. You are clearly doing this for love of the music. A few Library shows (which is where they are) and maybe a few outdoor public Gazebo town and school performances..all I can think of at the moment.

I don't really find those places fun to be. Most of the fun places in my area want you to cover well known songs.

The most I would do is maybe a Maynard Ferguson tribute act...and you would be hard pressed to draw.

Just seems like alot of work for a few performances. I know it's hard for some of u to understand and you will totally disagree with me.

This kind of thinking is really toxic, and a total drag. Also, why are you commenting if you don't know what you're talking about (which you obviously don't)?

If you want to make a bunch of money, go be an investment banker. It's much easier to be rich doing that than playing music.

These cats are doing this because they like to play music. They're not out to book weddings. They tour all the time.

Alright - back to hiding.
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Sailors wrote:
jgadvert wrote:

First:

This kind of thinking is really toxic, and a total drag. Also, why are you commenting if you don't know what you're talking about (which you obviously don't)?

If you want to make a bunch of money, go be an investment banker. It's much easier to be rich doing that than playing music.

These cats are doing this because they like to play music. They're not out to book weddings. They tour all the time.

Sorry to offend...and that my comment was taken as toxic (which included tons of praise and apprecaition). No toxic intent there. I've read much worse on this site!

BTW: You are a fiine player (enjoyed your videos) and will make sure to check you out as you are in my area.
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jgadvert wrote:
Mike Sailors wrote:
jgadvert wrote:

First:

Sorry to offend...and that my comment was taken as toxic (which included tons of praise and apprecaition). No toxic intent there. I've read much worse on this site! But I have to admit (being an expericned booking agent all over the NYC metro area) where in the heck I would get these guys a place to play.

Thats why (in particular) you have to applaud the leaders and the work of the people who line up these tour dates for the group. A lot of effort.

BTW: You are a fine player (enjoyed your videos) and will make sure to check you out as you are in my area.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These guys did it the old-fashioned way: being incredibly awesome at their instruments, writing music that gets the party started, performing for hours with nonstop energy, and making sure they are an important part of their local scene.

Whenever they play live, they have so many songs about how awesome Richmond is - "I say RV, you say A! RV! A! RV! A!" and the like. They vocally show love for the RVA scene.

When you ask how a band like this does it, it's because they are monster musicians that provide an amazing time for their audience and have made it very clear that they are an important part of their local community. Every musician could learn a thing or two from this!

If I lived in Richmond, I would be repping this band hard as one of the reasons I'm proud to be from RVA. Every local band should aspire to being that type of community-building show!
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
These guys did it the old-fashioned way: being incredibly awesome at their instruments, writing music that gets the party started, performing for hours with nonstop energy, and making sure they are an important part of their local scene.

Whenever they play live, they have so many songs about how awesome Richmond is - "I say RV, you say A! RV! A! RV! A!" and the like. They vocally show love for the RVA scene.

When you ask how a band like this does it, it's because they are monster musicians that provide an amazing time for their audience and have made it very clear that they are an important part of their local community. Every musician could learn a thing or two from this!

If I lived in Richmond, I would be repping this band hard as one of the reasons I'm proud to be from RVA. Every local band should aspire to being that type of community-building show!

One of the best comments I've read in a while. I love bands that work hard and celebrate where they are from and support the local scene. Honesty in music. Hard work and passion. Cool stuff here.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These guys are really good and a lot of fun- I came across them before, cruising those Tiny Desk concert videos.

I understand jgadvert's (off topic) comment, though- he wasn't dogging them at all, just lamenting what he perceives as limited commercial appeal for this kind of band, at least regionally.

But if you read the NPR commentary on them, they describe the confluence of circumstances led to them forming- the neighborhood, a studio, a college, lots of brass players. They're lucky to have found that, and we're lucky to hear them.
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jgadvert wrote:

Maybe it's a regional thing. I can think of a number of bands in this vein playing clubs, parties, weddings, and corporate gigs in the San Francisco Bay Area. Extra Action Marching Band, East Bay Brass Band, and Brass Monkey Brass Band.
agolden
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lance, (The band leader/drummer) is a friend of mine. They are incredibly popular & play sold out shows constantly. They go to Europe once or twice a year as well.

Link

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: