• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Your opinions on Jean Paul trumpets?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stanislav234

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Your opinions on Jean Paul trumpets? Reply with quote

I'm a beginner brass player that playing cornet for 1 year, and by progressing in my playing i finally realized that i need new, more responsive and good-sounding instrument (i have Chinese cornet that has sticky valves and tuning issues). So i decided to buy some beginner/intermediate level trumpet, and because of my quite low budget (about 250USD) my attention stopped at Jean Paul TR-330. I found almost no information about it, so i want to hear your thoughts/experiences on such brand.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just another cheap, probably Chinese, trumpet like object.

don't waste your money. Save up for a decent trumpet or find a rental from a source that is providing to your school - better chance of getting a reasonable instrument to learn on.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of them.

It's not hard to find a decent priced good student trumpet (Getzen, for example) at that price. Might cost a little bit to have it cleaned up and fixed up a little, but in the end you won't have something that's cheap junk and might fall apart in ....5 weeks? 1 year? Who knows? And also, a horn that no shop will want to try to fix.

Why would anyone even consider doing something else??

That's the real thing about these junky cheap horns. They're cheap. However, then they'll break - probably. When they do, you bring it in to a shop and the tech goes "Yeah. Either I charge you $100 and maybe don't even fix the problem to a degree that I'd be comfortable with because the material I'm working with is so poor or I maybe don't even want to try because I doubt the fix will work for long." Then you think about selling it, but the used market is flooded with inexpensive student horns that are name brand and solid instruments for $100-400, so why would anyone even spend $50 on a potential wall ornament? The answer: they won't.

Seriously go on Ebay or local craigslist and find a used Getzen, Yamaha, or Bach or Holton or well-known name-brand student trumpet for what you'd be willing to spend on a cheap trumpet shaped object and you'll be much better off.

Or don't. It's up to you.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Stanislav234

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
Never heard of them.

It's not hard to find a decent priced good student trumpet (Getzen, for example) at that price. Might cost a little bit to have it cleaned up and fixed up a little, but in the end you won't have something that's cheap junk and might fall apart in ....5 weeks? 1 year? Who knows? And also, a horn that no shop will want to try to fix.

Why would anyone even consider doing something else??

That's the real thing about these junky cheap horns. They're cheap. However, then they'll break - probably. When they do, you bring it in to a shop and the tech goes "Yeah. Either I charge you $100 and maybe don't even fix the problem to a degree that I'd be comfortable with because the material I'm working with is so poor or I maybe don't even want to try because I doubt the fix will work for long." Then you think about selling it, but the used market is flooded with inexpensive student horns that are name brand and solid instruments for $100-400, so why would anyone even spend $50 on a potential wall ornament? The answer: they won't.

Seriously go on Ebay or local craigslist and find a used Getzen, Yamaha, or Bach or Holton or well-known name-brand student trumpet for what you'd be willing to spend on a cheap trumpet shaped object and you'll be much better off.

Or don't. It's up to you.

Thank you for such expanded reply, you are right. I think i need to wait another couple of months, scratch up some money and buy good used horn on Ebay.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:43 am    Post subject: Trumpet Reply with quote

I have owed many many used trumpets and cornets. There are good deals out there. It helps not to be picky about the dents or lacquer.

If you want to buy vintage trumpets, they are many out there at a good price.I agree, stick with the name brands; Holton, Conn, Bach, Yamaha. Have owed all these brands.

In my experience, the best bargain is the Holton 602 trumpet. Followed by the Conn Director. I have owed both the Holton 602 trumpet and cornet. Even have added a 1st slide thumb saddle and a fixed ring on the trumpet. Cost me $35.00 dollars for the shop to make the change.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Holton-Trumpet-in-Hard-Case-T602-w-Extras-USA-Estate-Sale-Find-/302488209442?
Conn Director trumpet
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/44526562

Yamaha, Getzen, Bach trumpets will cost more than Holton.
Yamaha 11 e4 cornet mouthpiece
Yamaha 9e cornet mouthpiece
Bach 5 B cornet mouthpiece
Stanislav234

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for advice. Have you ever experienced issues related to age (and also amount of playing by previous user) on used trumpets? I mean compression problems, sticky valves and etc. This is why i'am afraid of buying vintage or just used trumpets, because it's pretty hard to believe for me, that good condition of instrument can last for so long.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Trumpet issues Reply with quote

When you buy from ebay, buy from someone with a 100% rating. Ask the seller the condition of the trumpet, if the slides and valves move freely and any dents or lacquer issues. Many times the trumpet are in near new condition, students lose interest in playing.

Jupiter 600 JTR 606 MR trumpet
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JUPITER-JTR-606MR-DELUXE-STUDENT-TRUMPET-w-HARD-CASE-/112596147272?hash=item1a3740dc48:g:77EAAOSw~ZBZ29cb

Generally good results from Shopgoodwill, but had a few dogs. Only one problem with the valves and valve casing on a trumpet. Sold the parts separately, recouped my loss. No return policy on Shopgoodwill.

Have you looked at your local craigslist?

Good luck in your search.
Yamaha 11 e4 cornet mouthpiece
Yamaha 9e cornet mouthpiece
Bach 5 B cornet mouthpiece
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Opinion on Jean Paul trumpets Reply with quote

I agree with several of the commentors. Go to a couple local music stores that rent to new students and then see if they have Getzen, Yamaha, Bach, Holton in no particular order. I have played a couple Yamaha student horns and still find them very open blowing and nice. Getzen makes horns like iron with lifetime guarantee on faulty valves. You can find intermediate Getzens online for 5-600 dollars almost everyday and they play! Good Luck in your search.
Stanislav234

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I see that used Getzen trumpets is quite expensive compared to other ones. But anyway, then i know one more brand that i should be looking for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: