• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What's Your "Rough Day" Routine?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes a break is healthy, but there are two things that minimize bad days for me.

1. Play by sound, not feel. If I focus on the sound and ignore (within reason) the feel, most of my bad days work themselves out.

2. A well thought out practice routine. It should accept whatever state I'm in and bring me to a point of playing well. However bad things are when I start is much less important than how good things are when I finish. Listening to the early notes with less judgement and trusting the process has been very helpful for me. In short, everyday is my "rough day" routine.
lambchop

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JVL wrote:
hello lambchop
hard to answer you, and i confess i don't understand well what you're describing...
how long have you been playing trumpet (when did you start), how long and how/what do you practice a day?

Started in Jan. practiced every day about 20 min. simple songs, after which I would lose high notes like D,E,F on the staff. Then I would have good and bad days until I had lessons, Irons and Clarke, and learned to rest every line. Then after a couple months I improved but not that much more endurance. Then in Aug I did more long tone pedals which induced the lip thickening. It isn't something anyone can notice but it feels thicker. It seems like now that my lips are thicker to start with, that I wear our faster, sometimes less than 20 min to where F on the staff is hard. I sometimes rest an hour and play another 15 min. I practice in the evenings and can't play well in the mornings but have to wait until the next evening. Once I quit for 3 days but it took another 3 days practice to be able to play again. In Sept. I started playing some other material, up to Mitchell lesson 18, and noticed long slur lip flex. exercises are more taxing on the lips than the tonged stuff. I still do a lot of Irons. I haven't noticed a correlation with food.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you warm up enough, and is your warm up efficient, and not too long?

long tones pedals? I think that 's the problem ! if too many pedals, not balanced with mid register, and mostly INCORRECTLY practiced will cause problem in your embouchure.

in another thread couples days ago, we talked about ways of practicing Clarke for instance : ascending as written, or descending or in "spider", every way having its own specificities.
I think YOU would respond better practicing such material in "spider".

best
lambchop

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JVL wrote:
Do you warm up enough, and is your warm up efficient, and not too long?

long tones pedals? I think that 's the problem ! if too many pedals, not balanced with mid register, and mostly INCORRECTLY practiced will cause problem in your embouchure.

in another thread couples days ago, we talked about ways of practicing Clarke for instance : ascending as written, or descending or in "spider", every way having its own specificities.
I think YOU would respond better practicing such material in "spider".

best

I don't warm up, just play a couple of low g notes to get going. Last night I found out if I scream out a couple high notes as a warm up I had to quit and rest for an hour, but I did seem to do pretty well after that. Any suggestions on a warm up?
I tend to agree on the pedals, so I don't touch them now. They may not have been done incorrectly but I wasn't ready I guess. Even too much time on first line clarke low notes bothers me now. I'll have to check out those spider posts.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a big problem !
and if you have to quit playing for hours after your "scream high notes warm-up", then it's not a warm up, it's a destroy-up !
i think you should have at last lessons with a teacher
best
lambchop

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JVL wrote:
that's a big problem !
and if you have to quit playing for hours after your "scream high notes warm-up", then it's not a warm up, it's a destroy-up !
i think you should have at last lessons with a teacher
best

Yes I wasn't going to use that as a warmup! I think playing soft low to mid range one-liners is my usual practice which equals a warm up. That is what I think my teacher believed. I think mouthpiece buzzing is hard on the lips so I don't do it as a warmup, but might be OK a little for diagnostic purposes.
NAdrian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I catch on that things just aren't going, I go to the stamp warm up and maybe some really focused light Schlossberg and Bai Lin flexibility work, less so focusing on music, more so on the technique and production of a pure relaxed sound. The first Clarke study, holding the first note until the air gets going, maybe the fourth study as well. If things start locking into place (which is what the stamp usually does for me) then I'll add some Arban and Clarke 2 slurred and articulated. If things just aren't happening, I'll cut the practicing short, with the focus on getting out the second Clarke Etude as quiet as possible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: